RB Davis of Texans could be cut

faba

Aug. 29, 2006, 5:40AM

Texans' Davis in danger of being cut

If season started today, Lundy would be No. 1 on depth chart

By JOHN McCLAIN

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Running back Domanick Davis, the Texans' career rushing leader, is in danger of not making the team this season.

Davis, who missed five games in 2005, has not practiced since the first week of preseason because of a bruised left knee that is unrelated to the arthroscopic surgery he underwent on the same knee in December.

Unlike Wali Lundy and Vernand Morency, Davis has been unable to be on the field to impress his new coaching staff, specifically head coach Gary Kubiak and offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun. Kubiak said Monday that if the regular season began today, Lundy would start against Philadelphia.

Each day, Kubiak grows more concerned about Davis' lack of availability. The roster will be reduced to a final 53 on Friday, one day after the Texans close the preseason at home against Tampa Bay.

"I'm very concerned," Kubiak said. "There's not much we can do about it, but I'm very concerned about that situation.

"It'll be a tough decision for the final 53. We'll make the decision based on what's best for Domanick and the team."

The Texans will have several options. They can make Davis, 25, part of the final roster and wait for him to get healthy. They can place him on waivers. They can put him on injured reserve, which means he wouldn't play this season. They also could trade him, which is unlikely because he's damaged goods.

Davis, 5-9 and 227 pounds, can't be placed on the physically unable to perform list because he passed a physical before training camp.

Asked what has to happen for Davis to be on the 53-man roster, Kubiak said: "We have to see something that shows he's making a lot of progress. Before the game Thursday, we'll probably have a sit-down with Domanick, the doctors, possibly his agent and everybody involved in the process, to see where he is. That's going to be a big call.

"The farther we go without him being on the field, the tougher that decision becomes. And when I say tough, it doesn't necessarily mean that Domanick won't be on the 53-man roster. If he's definitely making progress and everybody thinks he's going to be able to play, then he will be (on the roster)."

Davis was on his way to a third consecutive 1,000-yard season a year ago but came up 24 yards short because of the knee injury. The surgery removed part of his lateral meniscus.

Davis didn't participate in the Texans' offseason program while rehabilitating his knee. When camp began, he was on the practice field for two days before suffering the bruised knee that has him sidelined.

"I see a guy that's done everything the doctors have asked him to do," Kubiak said. "He was feeling great on the first day of training camp. He was excited about the season. I watched him work for two days and watched the knee respond.

"I know it's been very frustrating for him. Last week, we set a schedule for him to follow, and I'm very encouraged by what he did. He ran well. It'll be interesting to see how he comes back."

Kubiak has emphasized since early in training camp that Davis has to prove he can practice before he can play. He won't play against the Buccaneers.

Lundy and Morency, who will enter the regular season as the top two backs unless the team acquires some competition for them, won't play against Tampa Bay. Antowain Smith and rookie Chris Taylor will share the playing time.

"They (Lundy and Morency) have played hard, and they've done a good job overall," Kubiak said. "Both are going to play, but if the season started (today), Lundy would be the starter, and Morency would play.

"Antowain is fresh because he hasn't played the last two games. This is a big night for him. We want to see him and Taylor. We've got a tough decision to make on those two."

Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith are looking at the waiver wire to bring in players at several positions.

"We'll be looking at linebackers very hard, and we'll be looking at running back hard," Kubiak said.

The Texans will have several options. They can make Davis, 25, part of the final roster and wait for him to get healthy. They can place him on waivers. They can put him on injured reserve, which means he wouldn't play this season. They also could trade him, which is unlikely because he's damaged goods.

Davis, 5-9 and 227 pounds, can't be placed on the physically unable to perform list because he passed a physical before training camp.

After listening to Kubiak's weekly radio show last night, I think Davis is as good as gone.

Kubiak talked about the importance of being on the practice field in order to play.

Davis has only practiced two days and has been on the sidelines since.

Because he passed the physical, the Texans do not have the option of placing him on the PUP list.

If his knee is so bad, how the hell did he pass the physical? Maybe some doctor with a degree from the University of Mexico City did the physical.;)

Lundy and Morency have looked real good during the pre-season and I think because of that, Davis is expendable.

Friday morning should be interesting.

I find that a little confusing. If he isn't in their plans, there will be an out roar from Texan fans for not taking Bush. I for one agreed with the Williams pick because I thought Davis was the future anyway....interesting if true

I find that a little confusing. If he isn't in their plans, there will be an out roar from Texan fans for not taking Bush. I for one agreed with the Williams pick because I thought Davis was the future anyway....interesting if true

13, I think because of the way Lundy and Morency have performed, Kubiak may be willing to cut ties with Davis.

I still think the Texans made the right move drafting Williams.

Domanick Davis is one of the Top 5 RB's yards wise in the NFL since 2003. So what if he's hurt? I love Double D. I'd go after him like he was Barry Sanders cause he puts up the yardage.

BUT...as a poster above said, we probably wouldn't go after him because of giving up a 4th rounder to San Fran for Barlow and I'd be upset as well.

If he became available for nothing, I'd be pretty upset over giving San Fran a 4th rd pick for Barlow.

We gave up a 4th Round pick for that scrub. Barlow is horrendous. Please I don't want to hear how he put up good numbers 5 years ago. Jeff Garcia was putting up good numbers 5 years ago.

We gave up a 4th Round pick for that scrub. Barlow is horrendous. Please I don't want to hear how he put up good numbers 5 years ago. Jeff Garcia was putting up good numbers 5 years ago.

Agreed. Barlow sucks. It was a bad trade. If we can get Davis cheap, I'd get him.

Agreed. Barlow sucks. It was a bad trade. If we can get Davis cheap, I'd get him.

Cheap? The article specifically says they can't trade him because he's damaged goods. If we can get him free I'd try him out. They should be looking at all the RBs that get cut. Whether Barlow sucks or not he's probably a decent upgradge for us.

Cheap? The article specifically says they can't trade him because he's damaged goods. If we can get him free I'd try him out. They should be looking at all the RBs that get cut. Whether Barlow sucks or not he's probably a decent upgradge for us.

He means cheap contract-wise, I think.

Davis is still under his rookie contract.

It would cost the Texans next to nothing to release him outright.

That's not true. Davis signed a new contract last August and he is under contract through 2009. He also got an $8mil signing bonus that will accelerate into this year. His 2006 base salary is $1.7mil and his bonus allocation is $2.1mil making him the 6th highest paid player on the team.

It will definitely hurt to cut him, but then again do you pay him to ride the bench?

That's not true. Davis signed a new contract last August and he is under contract through 2009. He also got an $8mil signing bonus that will accelerate into this year. His 2006 base salary is $1.7mil and his bonus allocation is $2.1mil making him the 6th highest paid player on the team.

It will definitely hurt to cut him, but then again do you pay him to ride the bench?

Then somebody had wrong info on 610 radio on my drive in.

If that's the case, the cap hit would be huge.

Archived