Draft a running back?

Chicago Bob

I realize it is a long way off however with all things being equal in next years draft, I would much rather see the Jets draft another OL (preferably a guard) with next year's #1 pick. I was at the Tennessee game and Barry Sanders would have had difficulty running against the Titans. I watched Walter Payton play for the Bears for his entire career and it was not until he had a better than average OL that he was able to display his true talents. I have no idea if the next Anthony Munoz or John Hannah is available in next year's draft however Brandon Moore is average at best and Pete Kendall is nearing the end of the line. With two #2 picks in next year's draft, the Jets have the option of waiting for a quality RB to slip to them in round 2 or can use the their two #2's as an option to move up. Either way, we have a QB who is one more hit away from retirement and no real receiver that can be considered a breakaway threat so providing Chad with better protection is critical to this team's success - let's continue and build through the OL and fill in the remaining spots with our 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I realize it is a long way off however with all things being equal in next years draft, I would much rather see the Jets draft another OL (preferably a guard) with next year's #1 pick. I was at the Tennessee game and Barry Sanders would have had difficulty running against the Titans. I watched Walter Payton play for the Bears for his entire career and it was not until he had a better than average OL that he was able to display his true talents. I have no idea if the next Anthony Munoz or John Hannah is available in next year's draft however Brandon Moore is average at best and Pete Kendall is nearing the end of the line. With two #2 picks in next year's draft, the Jets have the option of waiting for a quality RB to slip to them in round 2 or can use the their two #2's as an option to move up. Either way, we have a QB who is one more hit away from retirement and no real receiver that can be considered a breakaway threat so providing Chad with better protection is critical to this team's success - let's continue and build through the OL and fill in the remaining spots with our 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Jets should draft Adrian Peterson or Michael Bush in Rd. 1.

Round 2 you take Brian Leonard of Rutgers and a quality Right Tackle.

This all changes if we get the no. 1 pick overall. Then we have to take Brady Quinn without a doubt.

This all changes if we get the no. 1 pick overall. Then we have to take Brady Quinn without a doubt.

Nice logic.

Spend a second rounder on an H-back. Haven't you been bitching all offseason because we didn't bring in a DT or draft Matt Leinart? So now, you want a fullback in the second round next year.

Do you even read the crap you write?

Pittsburgh drafted both of their guards in round one. When you have a pair of guards like that you can almost pick your RB out of the UDFA pool. Oh wait. You actually can.

The Jets should definitely go RB in next year's draft.

When is the last time a guard went in the 1st round at all? Guards just do not go that early.

2006 23 Davin Joseph Buccaneers

2005 32 Logan Mankins Patriots

2004 19 Vernon Carey Dolphins

2004 34 Chris Snee Giants (just about a 1st-rounder)

2003 33 Eric Steinbach Bengals (just about a 1st-rounder)

2002 30 Kendall Simmons Steelers

2001 17 Steve Hutchinson Seahawks

1998 26 Alan Faneca Steelers

1997 10 Chris Naeole Saints

1997 30 Ross Verba Packers

1996 21 Pete Kendall Seahawks

1996 23 Jeff Hartings Lions

1996 25 Jermane Mayberry

Teams that win the first week don't usually get the 1st overall pick.

Pittsburgh drafted both of their guards in round one. When you have a pair of guards like that you can almost pick your RB out of the UDFA pool. Oh wait. You actually can.

2006 23 Davin Joseph Buccaneers

2005 32 Logan Mankins Patriots

2004 19 Vernon Carey Dolphins

2004 34 Chris Snee Giants (just about a 1st-rounder)

2003 33 Eric Steinbach Bengals (just about a 1st-rounder)

2002 30 Kendall Simmons Steelers

2001 17 Steve Hutchinson Seahawks

1998 26 Alan Faneca Steelers

1997 10 Chris Naeole Saints

1997 30 Ross Verba Packers

1996 21 Pete Kendall Seahawks

1996 23 Jeff Hartings Lions

1996 25 Jermane Mayberry

Most of those guys were taken with late 1st-rounders. And, still 11 guards in ten years taken in the first round. Only one of them (a bust at that) taken in the top ten.

BTW, I like the way you began your smartass post with a statement that was false. Jeff Harting wasn't drafted by Pittsburgh, as you note later.

Most of those guys were taken with late 1st-rounders. And, still 11 guards in ten years taken in the first round. Only one of them (a bust at that) taken in the top ten.

BTW, I like the way you began your smartass post with a statement that was false. Jeff Harting wasn't drafted by Pittsburgh, as you note later.

Hartings plays center & their guards are Faneca/Simmons (both of whom they drafted in round one).

And I don't think we'll have a top 10 pick this year.

Wow, take Adrian Peterson, Michael Bush, or Brady Quinn in round 1. Great idea. How'd you get to be so smart? Tannenbaum better watch his back, your liable to get his job one day.

Hartings plays center & their guards are Faneca/Simmons (both of whom they drafted in round one).

And I don't think we'll have a top 10 pick this year.

You thought I was right, though. I saw your original post!

I don't think we'll have a top ten pick either. Say, we pick 15th or so. It would take a very special guard for us to make him the highest drafted guard in 10 years.

I'd rather spend a 2nd on one.

You thought I was right, though. I saw your original post!

I don't think we'll have a top ten pick either. Say, we pick 15th or so. It would take a very special guard for us to make him the highest drafted guard in 10 years.

I'd rather spend a 2nd on one.

So would I. Actually I knew I was right but then thought maybe I wasn't since you said so with such conviction. :)

No top-15 picks on OG's. I agree with you on that. I just want us to take the best player available, not (necessarily) the best RB available.

Nice logic.

Spend a second rounder on an H-back. Haven't you been bitching all offseason because we didn't bring in a DT or draft Matt Leinart? So now, you want a fullback in the second round next year.

Do you even read the crap you write?

First off Brian Leonard is being projected as a 1st Round pick next year so getting him in the second round would be a steal. In case you didn't notice, our running game is in the toilet. Only reason we won is because the QB you bashed all off-season, Pennington, stepped up and proved all of you wrong.

First off Brian Leonard is being projected as a 1st Round pick next year so getting him in the second round would be a steal. In case you didn't notice, our running game is in the toilet. Only reason we won is because the QB you bashed all off-season, Pennington, stepped up and proved all of you wrong.

If you had so much faith in Chad Pennington, why are still bitching about Matt Leinart 5 months after the draft?

Archived