Belichick talks back to OchoCinco

Belichick talks back to Bengals WR Johnson

Associated Press

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Hey, Chad Johnson, Bill Belichick can talk trash, too.

New England's normally dour coach stepped out of character Thursday to playfully jab at Johnson, a day after the Bengals wide receiver vowed to wreak havoc on the Patriots' secondary when the teams meet Sunday in Cincinnati.

Johnson specifically pleaded with "Mr. Belichick" to let cornerback Asante Samuel, whom Johnson described as a good friend, cover him one-on-one. "I won't score," Johnson promised. "I'll stop at the one and go out of bounds or something."

"Tell him we'd cover him one-on-one all the time, but he pushes off more than any receiver in the league," Belichick said with a grin. "He must be paying off the officials not to call it, so we're going to have to double-cover him some. ... Not that he can get open."

The Patriots are famous for using opponents' slights -- either real or perceived -- as motivation. But the fun-loving Johnson, a three-time Pro Bowler, seems to get a free pass.

Belichick called him an "entertaining kid" with a "good sense of humor" and said the two have bumped into each other at various offseason functions.

Belichick said he worked out Johnson at USC before the 2001 draft and remembered Johnson, who played at Oregon State, proudly flying his college's flag as he drove onto campus.

Patriots strong safety Rodney Harrison, who traded real barbs with Philadelphia Eagles receiver Freddie Mitchell leading up to the 2005 Super Bowl, also got a chuckle out of Johnson's to-do list. Johnson said he would knock Harrison's helmet off, flip Samuel upside down and fight Eugene Wilson if the free safety tried to hit him coming over the middle the way Cleveland's Brian Russell did in the Bengals' second game this season.

"The circus is in town, or out of town, I should say," Harrison said. "He's a funny guy. This is the way he brings humor to the game and keeps himself energized. I know it's all in fun. He didn't mean anything personal about it."

Johnson said he actually holds Harrison in high regard, and not just because he refers to Harrison as an "original, old-school trash talker."

The Patriots have played the Bengals three times since 2004, twice in the preseason. Johnson said his on-field, pregame chats with Harrison have been like a "father-son talk" in which Harrison dispensed "great advice about staying in a straight line and staying focused and staying out of trouble."

"If I'm in the headlines," Johnson said Harrison told him, "be sure that it is for something positive."

Johnson could make headlines on Sunday. New England has surrendered four long touchdown passes over the last two games, and its secondary is battling injuries.

Cornerback Ellis Hobbs missed his second straight day of practice Thursday with a wrist injury, and Wilson and reserve safety Artrell Hawkins are nursing hamstring injuries. All three players are questionable for Sunday's game. Reserve cornerback Randall Gay is out for the season with a hamstring injury.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

I like Chad, I really do.

But there are two other WRs on his team that are currently outplaying him. I would hate to see 85 get into Keyshawn territory. If you are gonna talk trash, you better be able to back it up.

The reason WhoseYourMama & PartyBoy Henry get open is because of OchoCino because teams send 2-3 guys on him everytime. He's one of the best WR's in the game & he is going to show up the New England secondary for 100+ yards & a few TD's this weekend.

I like Chad, I really do.

But there are two other WRs on his team that are currently outplaying him. I would hate to see 85 get into Keyshawn territory. If you are gonna talk trash, you better be able to back it up.

It wasn't trash talking. I like Johnson. He is all about fun in the No Fun League

The reason WhoseYourMama & PartyBoy Henry get open is because of OchoCino because teams send 2-3 guys on him everytime. He's one of the best WR's in the game & he is going to show up the New England secondary for 100+ yards & a few TD's this weekend.

You think Chad is the only WR in the league that gets double-covered? Torry Holt, Steve Smith, and TO seem to do just fine.

As of right now, in the 2006 season, Chad is the league's most expensive decoy. He needs to put up or shut up this week.

It wasn't trash talking. I like Johnson. He is all about fun in the No Fun League

Exactly.

Here are some more answers from Belichick.

Bill's response

FOXBOROUGH -- Bengals receiver Chad Johnson had some fun yesterday, calling out the Patriots' defensive backs. Patriots coach Bill Belichick had his own fun today, volleying back some comments to Johnson.

Responding to Johnson's request to cover him one-on-one, Belichick said: "Tell him that we'd cover him one-on-one all the time but he pushes off more than any receiver in the league. He must be paying off the officials not to call it, so we're going to have to double-cover him some, not that he can get open. As much as he pushes off, we have to do something to protect ourselves."

Belichick was smiling as he delivered those words, then finished by saying: "He's a great player."

Belichick called Johnson "a good guy" and noted that the two have spent time together.

"He's an entertaining kid," Belichick said. "He has a good sense of humor. It sounds like he was poking fun at us, and that's OK."

Belichick then relayed a story about how he worked Johnson out prior to the 2001 draft on USC's campus, and Johnson proudly drove onto campus with his Oregon State flag on the car.

You think Chad is the only WR in the league that gets double-covered? Torry Holt, Steve Smith, and TO seem to do just fine.

As of right now, in the 2006 season, Chad is the league's most expensive decoy. He needs to put up or shut up this week.

T.O. has a bigger body frame & is thrown the ball more then OchoCinco is because of the lack of receivers around him (until this year with Terry Glenn of course). Torry Holt is one of the best, no doubt, but also has Issac Bruce across him. Steve Smith is mostly screen passes and short 5 yard slants, puts up the #'s but doesn't do anything spectacular.

OchoCinco = The Man. Recognize.

Johnson said he would knock Harrison's helmet off, flip Samuel upside down and fight Eugene Wilson if the free safety tried to hit him coming over the middle the way Cleveland's Brian Russell did in the Bengals' second game this season

:rl: :rl: The kid is hilarious. and a damn good ball player.

Thing is, when you're 3-0, you don't have to be THE GUY. Chad talks trash for fun, not necesarilly because he thinks that he'll dominate on any given Sunday. All receivers have their off days. Chad is not like guys such as T.O., because he doesn't demand the ball. He knows Carson Palmer is going to spread the wealth, and he is OK with that as long as his team gets the W.

When Carson needs Chad, he'll be throwing to him. Just because he wasn't open very often @ Pittsburgh does not mean he is in a situation where he isn't backing up his talk. He is still Carson's # 1, blanket receiver who can outplay just about any corner to the ball. He'll have way more good days than bad ones. There is very little pressure on his shoulders right now with the TEAM being so successful.

Thing is, when you're 3-0, you don't have to be THE GUY. Chad talks trash for fun, not necesarilly because he thinks that he'll dominate on any given Sunday. All receivers have their off days. Chad is not like guys such as T.O., because he doesn't demand the ball. He knows Carson Palmer is going to spread the wealth, and he is OK with that as long as his team gets the W.

When Carson needs Chad, he'll be throwing to him. Just because he wasn't open very often @ Pittsburgh does not mean he is in a situation where he isn't backing up his talk. He is still Carson's # 1, blanket receiver who can outplay just about any corner to the ball. He'll have way more good days than bad ones. There is very little pressure on his shoulders right now with the TEAM being so successful.

You have it right. It is not about Chad, it is about Carson. Palmer makes it happen.

You have it right. It is not about Chad, it is about Carson. Palmer makes it happen.

That's true about any offense. But it doesn't de-value Chad or any other WR. It's always mutual. Look at the Carolina Panther offense without Steve Smith. Imagine the Colt offense over the years without Marvin Harrison. Not quite as effective.

That's true about any offense. But it doesn't de-value Chad or any other WR. It's always mutual. Look at the Carolina Panther offense without Steve Smith. Imagine the Colt offense over the years without Marvin Harrison. Not quite as effective.

Not so sure about that. Look at what Brady has done over the years.

Don't get me wrong. I like Chad Jackson but he would be nothing without Palmer.

124's Preseason Predicton:

Cincinnati Bengals = 2006 Super Bowl XLI Champions

Carson Palmer - Super Bowl MVP

OCHO CINCO BABY!!!

Don't believe it, look back, you'll remember when I said it back in August or early September, I know it was before the 10th.

Are you a Jets fan or a Bengals fan?

I am a Jets fan, OchoCino & Carson Palmer fan.

I'm a realist, the Bengals are the BEST team in Football... the Jets arn't close. If we had to go up against the Bengals, we'd have no shot in hell. None. We can be a 10-6 team, but, not a Super Bowl team. Not yet. 07 or 08 we'll start showing flashes of being almost there if not actually being there.

I stand by my pre-season pick. Denver/Seattle.

I am glad I didn't post here in 2000, whenever I picked Baltimore, pre-season. I was very nearly a Ravens fan by season's end, because it just blew my mind to be so ****ing dead-on with an out of left field pick like that.

I stand by my pre-season pick. Denver/Seattle.

I am glad I didn't post here in 2000, whenever I picked Baltimore, pre-season. I was very nearly a Ravens fan by season's end, because it just blew my mind to be so ****ing dead-on with an out of left field pick like that.

OchoCinco & Carson Palmer make me a huge Bengal believer. I really thought they could've ran the table last season if not for Kimo's hit on Carson. This year is going to be there year.

Good luck with Denver.

However, I should be saying the same to me with Carolina.

BS.

Palmer helps alot because he is a great QB. But Chad Johnson was a great nfl WR before Palmer took the reigns in 2004. Johnson was the exact same great WR playing with Jon freakin Kitna that he is now playing with Carson Palmer.

OchoCinco & Carson Palmer make me a huge Bengal believer. I really thought they could've ran the table last season if not for Kimo's hit on Carson. This year is going to be there year.

Good luck with Denver.

However, I should be saying the same to me with Carolina.

What are you smoking? The Bengals are no where near the best team in football.

Where did this "ochocinco" garbage come from. I like Chad Johnson but I really hope he didn't give himself this nickname.

NFL Network. The end of the one commercial for NFL Network they show Chad and it says "OCHO CINCO!!" in the background if you listen close enough. He even called himself that last week because he recognized it as well. Therefore, he is the artist formally known as 85... Ocho Mother F'n Cinco.

Oh and Gainzo, the Bengals ARE the best team. The best offense with just enough defense to get by and win the big games.

NFL Network. The end of the one commercial for NFL Network they show Chad and it says "OCHO CINCO!!" in the background if you listen close enough. He even called himself that last week because he recognized it as well. Therefore, he is the artist formally known as 85... Ocho Mother F'n Cinco.

Oh and Gainzo, the Bengals ARE the best team. The best offense with just enough defense to get by and win the big games.

Christ, is it any wonder I don't watch ESPN or the NFL Network?

\

Offense I agree with.

Defense not so much. They are on a roll with turnovers. Tipped balls and QB fumbles help out those stats.

How many Super Bowls did that net the Colts' and Chiefs over the past five years?

How many Super Bowls did that net the Colts' and Chiefs over the past five years?

I'll take the Bengals' defense this season over the Chiefs & Colts' D's of years past anyday, even without Odell Thurman & David Pollack.

No, because I can't handle the garbage they try to force down my throat. If I wanted every player to have a nickname, I would still be watching WWE instead of the NFL.

So what you're saying is, you can't handle Ocho Cinco.;)

Probably because you only pick up 3 channels with your tin foil wrapped around your head, leaning on 1 foot towards a window you frickin redneck!

Bart, I like you man but chill with the redneck $hit with Alk. He can be ******* at times but all in all he's a really good guy.

Archived