Future of NHL will be decided this week in New York

Gang Green Girl

I love hockey but the idea of replacement players is something I do not want to see.

Let the two sides compromise on salary cap with a luxury tax so teams like Rangers, Red Wings would certainly have to pay into that would help out other teams and the league.

If enough of the owners start splintering this can lead to an agreement- Wayne take the lead there for the sake of hockey!

I love hockey but the idea of replacement players is something I do not want to see.

Let the two sides compromise on salary cap with a luxury tax so teams like Rangers, Red Wings would certainly have to pay into that would help out other teams and the league.

If enough of the owners start splintering this can lead to an agreement- Wayne take the lead there for the sake of hockey!

I don't understand why some professional hockey players have chosen to play overseas...basically for free. I am not getting the logic behind this.

](*,)

As far as I understand the guys have an out in their contract that if NHL settled they can leave and go back-I am sure they all have insurance in case something happens over there.

FYI In Times today- Gomez of Devils got injured playing in minor league in Alaska -not as serious as they thought but still will be out of action for awhile.

I don't understand why some professional hockey players have chosen to play overseas...basically for free. I am not getting the logic behind this.

](*,)

As far as I understand the guys have an out in their contract that if NHL settled they can leave and go back-I am sure they all have insurance in case something happens over there.

FYI In Times today- Gomez of Devils got injured playing in minor league in Alaska -not as serious as they thought but still will be out of action for awhile.

Fischler is pro-owner all the way.

No matter-if the owners still want an NHL, settle up and cut the loser teams out now. Because between Canada's labor laws and the unions in their buildings and the companies that broadcast or might advertise, replacement players will be a disaster.Bad enough no one will watch. The picket lines will be everywhere, and Bud, Miller, Coors, car companies and so on will not advertise during replacement telecasts.

Worse-nobody misses it. Bettman is the totally clueless. Him comparing the NHL and it's economic model to the NFL nad it's business is like a 10-year old comparing his lemonade stand to McDonalds. Make a deal, cut the weak sisters and get a schedule togther for 2006. And stop bitching about cost certainty. If teams can't make a go of it, let them die. And by supply and demand alone salaries will

drop.

Bugg: I think the players are too greedy considering hockey is a dying (DEAD, right now!)sport. But Bettman has cost us fans an entire season of hockey but it looks like he is winning the battle of wills. The last offer he presented was worse then the one before the season was canceled and now players are more disconcerted than ever! I am not sure if this will ever end! The scary part is that when this is over Gary Bettman will probably still have his job and Bob Goodenow will probably be fired. After the damage both of these men have done to the NHL both should be fired!

](*,)

Had you turned to NHL Players to Unlock The Riddles of The Sands previously??? I guess an 8th Grade, Canadian Public School Education doesn't go as far as you would like anymore...

NHL won't start next season with replacement players

By IRA PODELL, AP Sports Writer

April 21, 2005

AP - Apr 20, 2:09 pm EDT

More Photos

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NHL is searching for a deal, not replacements for its locked-out players.

With speculation mounting that hockey would return next season no matter what, even if that meant using replacement players, commissioner Gary Bettman said Wednesday that the league won't return to the ice in October if a new collective bargaining agreement hasn't been reached with the players' association.

No deal, no hockey.

That's the party line for now. There is no telling how long that will last.

``We are planning to open on time. If we don't have our players we won't be able to, but our effort is going to be gearing up to open the regular season on time,'' Bettman said after meeting with the board of governors for four hours Wednesday.

After the last board meeting March 1, Bettman and the governors seemed certain that there would be hockey in the fall, CBA or not.

Bettman wouldn't address potential scenarios of how the league could get back on the ice without an agreement with the union, but the use of replacement players appeared to be the only other solution.

ADVERTISEMENT

That is no longer the case as the lockout drags on into its eighth month.

``If we do not have a new collective bargaining agreement, we will not open the season on time,'' Bettman said. ``If that is an eventuality at that juncture, we will have to start again on what options we will pursue.''

Already having the negative distinction of being the first major sports league in North America to lose an entire season to a labor dispute, the NHL doesn't seem anxious to jump into the arena of substitute players.

``We have stayed out of the replacement player debate since we thought it was a poorly conceived and ill-advised strategy,'' Bob Goodenow, the executive director of the players' association, said. ``Finally, it appears the league has come to realize it would be bad for the fans, the sport and the business.

``The NHL should focus its efforts on reaching an agreement with the players.''

Bettman was adamant that the board was as unified as ever and said there was plenty of support for all scenarios should a deal with the union fall out of reach.

``Exploring your options, doesn't mean you're doing it or not doing it,'' Bettman said. ``It doesn't mean it's a good idea or bad idea.''

Bettman wouldn't even use the term replacements, choosing ``new players'' instead.

AP - Apr 20, 2:09 pm EDT

More Photos

He didn't set a deadline for a deal and he hasn't presented one to Goodenow. The lockout was imposed last Sept. 16 after the expiration of the previous agreement.

Representatives from all 30 NHL teams met in New York for the second time in seven weeks.

``It was really just a far-reaching discussion of all the alternatives and updating us,'' said Richard Peddie, the president of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment. ``In the end, everyone agreed 'let's keep focusing on trying to get a deal.'''

Both the NHL and the players' association said that no progress was made during a six-hour negotiating session Tuesday.

That was the fifth trip to the table for the sides since the season was called off in February.

NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly said he was hoping to schedule multiple meetings per week with the players' association over the next couple of weeks. Negotiations could even take place in Austria, where the hockey world championships will be held from April 30-May 15.

``They're inching toward an agreement,'' Dallas Stars president Jim Lites said. ``We're on the same page. We're talking concepts that maybe a year ago were pretty foreign to both sides.''

In an April 4 meeting, the union came up with an idea that addresses the relationship between player costs and league revenues.

The concept, discussed extensively Tuesday, contains an upper and lower salary cap that would float among the teams depending on revenues from year to year. Financially successful years would increase the thresholds, but poor seasons would lower them.

Where the numbers fall and what the range would be is not close to being agreeable.

``The union said for as long as anyone can remember that they'll never, ever, ever agree to a cap, but is now negotiating a cap. That's the good news,'' Bettman said. ``The bad news is there is no economic reality to what we need. But at least now we're in a negotiating session where it's dollars and cents.''

The topic of revenue sharing -- what the players' association contends is a key to any deal -- was not broached by the board on Wednesday.

Nor was the draft, and what team will have the chance to pick Canadian phenom Sidney Crosby with the first selection.

``For Gary to say the negotiations are now only a matter of dollars and cents is both simplistic and misleading,'' Goodenow said. ``There continue to be a myriad of issues to address, including player rights and system issues that impact the daily lives and careers of players, the way the game is played and marketed, and the growing financial disparities between clubs in a league with no meaningful revenue sharing.''

The league is still negotiating with ESPN, which has until June 1 to decide whether to exercise its option to broadcast games next season.

Great bargaining position the league has for a new deal for ESPN- the factor alone of meager ratings that were beat last year by ESPN showing replacement scheduling should wake up these players and owners to compromise.

In any other industry in America, if a part of a company is bleeding cash you cut it out and rid your company of that blood sucking loss. In the NHL, you leave it in place and then wonder why the league is losing money. It's time to axe about 8 teams from the league

My thoughts exactly. =D>

They over-saturated the market. Theres not enough talent in the pool that is the players for all teams.

AXE:

Coyote's

Panthers

Colombus

Predators

That should releive alot of the NHL's woes. I meen, come one. Nashville? No offence to anyone in Nashville, but i think building an oval and having people drive tractors around will attract more people than Nashville in the middle of the season.

Archived