The Mets Had A Good Season

Maxman

They have nothing to be ashamed of. The injuries really hurt them. It was a great year. Ultimately I don't think either team would have beaten the Tigers.

That being said -- next year is not guaranteed. They are headed in the right direction. But they have some big areas of concern (starting rotation). And so many things have to go right to have a year like they did.

The Braves and the Phillies will both improve their clubs. Not knocking the Mets, like I said they overachieved this season. Just clarifying my point from earlier this year. Don't let chances like this go. You don't know when they will come back. It was a hypothetical debate about improving the Mets at the deadline. My point remains the same, worrying about 3 years down the road is nice. But when you can win it all -- do so. (Not saying mortgage everything, just give up marginal prospects like Lastings Milledge if need be).

oliver perez put out a helluva effort although i did have a red fox moment on that endy catch

One of the best post-season catches you will ever see. Not like the Mays catch of 1954 against the Indians, but a real super one. And he had the where-with-all to get the ball back to the infield to get the double play.

The Mets had a good season- all I can ask for is to compete for a title every year and I think they are setting up by Minaya to do so. The lack of clutch hitting is what caused this loss in this series more than pitching- who would have thunk that- that is why sports is great you never know what will happen.

They have nothing to be ashamed of. The injuries really hurt them. It was a great year. Ultimately I don't think either team would have beaten the Tigers.

That being said -- next year is not guaranteed. They are headed in the right direction. But they have some big areas of concern (starting rotation). And so many things have to go right to have a year like they did.

The Braves and the Phillies will both improve their clubs. Not knocking the Mets, like I said they overachieved this season. Just clarifying my point from earlier this year. Don't let chances like this go. You don't know when they will come back. It was a hypothetical debate about improving the Mets at the deadline. My point remains the same, worrying about 3 years down the road is nice. But when you can win it all -- do so. (Not saying mortgage everything, just give up marginal prospects like Lastings Milledge if need be).

agree with most of it,,

but we arent to point yet to give away the ONLY 5 tool OF we had,,history may prove you right however.

are the 06 cards the worst team to ever make the world series?

they're a 2 man team

Not even close.

Life long Met fan here, and I can honestly say that the 73 Mets were the worst WS team I've seen. They were a no-man team. It was just a miracle they they got there.

Yes, they went to 7 games with Oakland, but it might have been the worst played series I've seen.

Not even close.

Life long Met fan here, and I can honestly say that the 73 Mets were the worst WS team I've seen. They were a no-man team. It was just a miracle they they got there.

Yes, they went to 7 games with Oakland, but it might have been the worst played series I've seen.

Great pitching will take you far. That team had GREAT pitching, and any team with great pitching can't be underestimated. They had a ping offense, and losing Rusty Staub killed them, but that staff was amazing

When the Mets robbed that HR (great catch) I was going to start a thread saying: I am wrong. That Lastings kid can flat out play.

But I didn't want to rub it in.

:P Its like the football draft, ,with baseball players its hard to judge them until they have been in bigs a few years,,

we will see..

I dont really see Chavez being a starter next year

You know what about Chavez?

In 133 games he hit .306 and made ZERO errors.

I give him a shot to be an everyday OF next season.

oh dont get me wrong,, he deserves a shot,, i just dont see him starting,, omar will start milledge or trade him in offseason, ,chavez would be best 4th OF in baseball at that point and a valuable sub..

if they trade milledge in offseason though i will be pissed and max would have been right, a;though resigning zito was always a risk

I'm in the minority of fans with you SJ- I think Lastings has some potential.

Most others I talk to disagree.

I disagree. I think the majority of folks think Milledge will be a solid player. He seems to need to grow up a bit, but he is a kid, so give him time. But he has skills, and should be solid when he comes up permanently. Maybe not the superstar that some Mets fans feel he will be, but solid never-the-less.

That said, he still should have been traded for an ACE, if that was possible, at the deadline.

I disagree. I think the majority of folks think Milledge will be a solid player. He seems to need to grow up a bit, but he is a kid, so give him time. But he has skills, and should be solid when he comes up permanently. Maybe not the superstar that some Mets fans feel he will be, but solid never-the-less.

That said, he still should have been traded for an ACE, if that was possible, at the deadline.

problem was with Zito, you dont gurantee you would resign him,,

Omar was willing to let him go for Oswalt because he has a longer term contract

problem was with Zito, you dont gurantee you would resign him,,

Omar was willing to let him go for Oswalt because he has a longer term contract

Was Oswalt signed at the time the rumors came out about his being traded to teh Mets?

I do not recall, but I can't believe he Houston would sign him, then turn around and trade him. McClain, the Owner, is not like that. So, maybe Oswalt was in the same boat as Zito.

Archived