Louisville- West Virginia game tonight-opinions

faba

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm the first to admit that my cfb knowledge is nil to none and is sometimes influenced by my disdain for the program at Chestnut Hill, Ma. I also admit that sometimes I should just keep my mouth (typing fingers) shut (still).

HAHAHAH....

Anyway, I'll watch cfb on TV - and I see these incredible crowds - the incredible stadiums - FLA St, Clemson, etc.....and I'm amazed that BC thought it could compete with them recruiting-wise. Academically - BC can be tough. Their field may be smaller than a Texas HS Stadium. Boston will always be a pro-sports town. Never, ever, will they garner the support and passion that say -Clemson- gets.

Actually I think the whole thing with jumping to the ACC was stupid.

BC has geographic rivalries in the Northeast, and personally, I liked having the access to going to Miami games in the N.E. VT is a slum, so i dont care wtf they do, anyway.

It was all about money (isnt it always?) not about powerful football conferences.

Anyway, I'll watch cfb on TV - and I see these incredible crowds - the incredible stadiums - FLA St, Clemson, etc.....and I'm amazed that BC thought it could compete with them recruiting-wise. Academically - BC can be tough. Their field may be smaller than a Texas HS Stadium. Boston will always be a pro-sports town. Never, ever, will they garner the support and passion that say -Clemson- gets.

Miami is a pro town too, albeit a bad one. The Canes cant compete with the Mammals for attention in SoFla. There are only about 8,000 undergrads at Miami, so there isnt a large alum base there, either. There are many more gaytor and nole alums living in Miami.

I think BC has a unique recruiting draw- its in a big city with a lot going on.

Those players who want more than staring at cornfields or tobacco fields will be drawn to it. They have that going for them.

Hmmm...I guess that's a good point, JC.

They have no tradition. Tradition like ND singing with the students arm in arm after a victory. A horse blazing through the field with the school flag. Students and players meeting at the 50 yard line. Stuff like that. I suppose they need to develop some gimmick. I hear they had a new bronze Eagle placed at the stadium entrance (in addition to the one in front of the school's main building) and the players kiss it, kneel in front of it, sing to it - I 'dunno - but I heard the players pay some kind of homage to it before every game.

Actually I think the whole thing with jumping to the ACC was stupid.

BC has geographic rivalries in the Northeast, and personally, I liked having the access to going to Miami games in the N.E. VT is a slum, so i dont care wtf they do, anyway.

It was all about money (isnt it always?) not about powerful football conferences.

Not really. UCONN is the only other IA school in NE and that is hardly a rivalry. BC FB did unto them what their BB did to BC. Cuse and PITT? During the BE days, the only games I really wanted to see is Notre Dame and the U.

madmike

I will listen to what Tom O'Brein said during the BC/FSU game. The move to the ACC has opened more doors and strengthened some footholds. BC football is what it is. A nice program. Not a great one, but a nice one. It is not like the draw of the BE was bringing in all those players that allowed them to win 6 straight bowls.

Not really. UCONN is the only other IA school in NE and that is hardly a rivalry. BC FB did unto them what their BB did to BC. Cuse and PITT? During the BE days, the only games I really wanted to see is Notre Dame and the U.

madmike

I will listen to what Tom O'Brein said during the BC/FSU game. The move to the ACC has opened more doors and strengthened some footholds. BC football is what it is. A nice program. Not a great one, but a nice one. It is not like the draw of the BE was bringing in all those players that allowed them to win 6 straight bowls.

They are already having a much harder time recruiting since they jumped to the ACC. They should've stayed in the BE and thats becoming more and more obvious.

They are already having a much harder time recruiting since they jumped to the ACC. They should've stayed in the BE and thats becoming more and more obvious.

Where do you get this info- how would you know that!

because i look at the recruiting lists...

Mike no offense but do not believe everything you read as my first piece of advice. BC has a program that is right now a bowl team every year- not much more you can ask for.

Hmmm...I guess that's a good point, JC.

They have no tradition. Tradition like ND singing with the students arm in arm after a victory. A horse blazing through the field with the school flag. Students and players meeting at the 50 yard line. Stuff like that. I suppose they need to develop some gimmick. I hear they had a new bronze Eagle placed at the stadium entrance (in addition to the one in front of the school's main building) and the players kiss it, kneel in front of it, sing to it - I 'dunno - but I heard the players pay some kind of homage to it before every game.

Oy let's not go there- it sounds too gay. Must be a Boston thang. ;-)

V5114: I've always liked Brohm. He's getting great coaching from Bobby Olive Garden Petrino, and he is all that. Comparing him to Quinn reminds me of the Cutler/Leinart comparison. Both are good, it's just a matter of P.R. and differing opinions on their respective potential.

Mike no offense but do not believe everything you read as my first piece of advice. BC has a program that is right now a bowl team every year- not much more you can ask for.
I said they are good this year... But if any part of the projected quality of their last 2 recruiting classes are true, they arn't going to be making many bowl games in the future.

Based on what?

BC is not Notre Dame and can pull a Top 10 class without trying. If New England does not have many top prospects, BC's class will be ranked in the 30s which is usally where it is ranked. Even when New England does, BC has to fight the top schools and stressing academics and being a Catholic school does not help.

5 years from now, BC will be wg=hat it is today. A consistent 6-8 win team.

Based on what?

BC is not Notre Dame and can pull a Top 10 class without trying. If New England does not have many top prospects, BC's class will be ranked in the 30s which is usally where it is ranked. Even when New England does, BC has to fight the top schools and stressing academics and being a Catholic school does not help.

5 years from now, BC will be wg=hat it is today. A consistent 6-8 win team.

44 Acctually...

44 Acctually...

And for a small private Catholic school that is not named Notre Dame, that is pretty good.

When BC finds that rare Top 25 player, like Toal a few years back, that get a boost, but more often then not, their classes are full of 3 star players with an ocassional 4 star player from New England/New York/New jersey area.

And for a small private Catholic school that is not named Notre Dame, that is pretty good.

When BC finds that rare Top 25 player, like Toal a few years back, that get a boost, but more often then not, their classes are full of 3 star players with an ocassional 4 star player from New England/New York/New jersey area.

You can say that but from where they were a few years ago it's a problem. When Rutgers is getting better classes then you and you've been to as many bowls as BC has thats a major problem.

When Rutgers is getting better classes then you and you've been to as many bowls as BC has thats a major problem.

It really isnt that big of a problem. One of the perks of them joining the ACC is they get an equal cut of all the conference bowl money. It doesnt matter which bowl they go to- their cut is the same. And the ACC has its firm bowl tie-ins, so they will have a guaranteed number of teams in bowls each year. I dont like it, and I think has already made the three teams who joined the ACC more complacent about their fb programs. But remember, they got shown the money.

It really isnt that big of a problem. One of the perks of them joining the ACC is they get an equal cut of all the conference bowl money. It doesnt matter which bowl they go to- their cut is the same. And the ACC has its firm bowl tie-ins, so they will have a guaranteed number of teams in bowls each year. I dont like it, and I think has already made the three teams who joined the ACC more complacent about their fb programs. But remember, they got shown the money.
I knew they went for the money but if i was a fan of one of those teams that would piss me off to no end.

BC is 12 seconds away from being 8-0.

After owning Notre Dame in the last few meetings the Irish dropped BC from their schedule and replaced them with Rutgers.

BC is good enough to win 7-10 games per season. As long as Tom O'Brien is Coach they will be fine.

With all the ACC bashing JetCane, why haven't you mentioned the Hurricanes?

BC is 12 seconds away from being 8-0.

After owning Notre Dame in the last few meetings the Irish dropped BC from their schedule and replaced them with Rutgers.

BC is good enough to win 7-10 games per season. As long as Tom O'Brien is Coach they will be fine.

With all the ACC bashing JetCane, why haven't you mentioned the Hurricanes?

BC is winning this year with players recruited from their big east days. That well is drying up.

BC is winning this year with players recruited from their big east days. That well is drying up.

:rolleyes:

Why you think the Big East is better for BC's recruiting then the ACC is beyond me.

According to rivals.com, BC has had better recruiting classes then Rutgers every year since 2002. Which ironically is as far back as they go.

BC had largely been an ACC property since October 2003. Although they did not officially join until the 2005 season, all the Freshmen, Sophmores and Juniors knew they were going to be playing a majority of their careers in the ACC. Those 14 Seniors might have been attracted to the draw of the Big East, but every class since then knew they would be playing more ACC ball

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2006

5 Notre Dame

44 BC

63 Rutgers

BC always have a decent bowl game team, Rutgers is having it's best year since the sport was invented because of the cupcake scheduling.

That list isn't CLOSE to being current. It has Rugers with only 6 3-stars and nothing else LMAO. We have 3 4-stars and 8 3-stars now. BC still has 0 4-Stars by the way.

Rankings as of 2/28/2006
LMAO Try again buddy.

That list isn't CLOSE to being current. It has Rugers with only 6 3-stars and nothing else LMAO. We have 3 4-stars and 8 3-stars now. BC still has 0 4-Stars by the way.

LMAO Try again buddy.

Rutgers is having a wonderful resurgence under Schianno.

There is clearly a void in the NY/NJ area for a college football power with Cuse sucking ass.

However, probably for the first time ever they have a recruiting class worth mentioning. Plus, once Schianno moves onto a school that actually is competitive, Rutgers will fall back to the 3-5 win team they always are.

3, 4 and 5 star recruits are all nice. Recruiting is like the draft. DROB and Jonathan Sullivan, Jimmy Kennedy, Kevin Williams all were picked ahead Ty Warren. With hindisght, I can honestly say, I wish none of them fell to the Patriots.

Archived