Rich Cimini Chat Transcript

Maxman

Why the F do I always forget about these things?

I wish somebody would have asked Cimini if Mangini is so truly married to the 3-4 for the future, if he has any qualms about maybe switching back to the defense which suits his best players........wakawakawaka

Great job on setting this one up though. Cimini I like

Why the F do I always forget about these things?

I wish somebody would have asked Cimini if Mangini is so truly married to the 3-4 for the future, if he has any qualms about maybe switching back to the defense which suits his best players........wakawakawaka

Great job on setting this one up though. Cimini I like

Yeah I think Cimini is the best Jets beat writer by far, and honestly probably the only sports journalist worth reading among the NY papers.

I would have asked about the "me to you" drills but otherwise I thought it was a good chat. I arrived a bit late, and had some things to do. How do questions work though, can anyone ask or is there an order that is pre-determined before the chat?

Anybody else surprised that he rates DE, RB and OLB ahead of NT as offseason needs? I guess that says worlds about how bad Kimo has been. Interested about OLB though, they aren't good, but I didn't think they were that bad.

I'd list a couple of positions ahead of RB, like FB, at least 1 OG and RT.

If the line & FB can get some push we can get by more than adequately without a "name" RB.

Edgerrin James didn't do squat for Arizona's running game b/c they still don't make any holes. Even before his injury, Shaun Alexander was looking mega-ordinary without Hutchinson in there.

Conversely, I've watched unheralded RB's like Willie Parker, Antowain Smith & Kevin Faulk, and Michael Pittman get superbowl rings in the last 5 years. Even Chester Taylor is on pace for over 1400 rushing yards behind Minnesota's good run-blocking.

Leon is plenty beefier than (and runs similarly to) Warrick Dunn & size hasn't stopped him from getting all the non-short-yardage carries for years.

Also, if you have good run-blocking in place, it doesn't piss the season away with an injury to a starting HB.

I'd list a couple of positions ahead of RB, like FB, at least 1 OG and RT.

If the line & FB can get some push we can get by more than adequately without a "name" RB.

Edgerrin James didn't do squat for Arizona's running game b/c they still don't make any holes. Even before his injury, Shaun Alexander was looking mega-ordinary without Hutchinson in there.

Conversely, I've watched unheralded RB's like Willie Parker, Antowain Smith & Kevin Faulk, and Michael Pittman get superbowl rings in the last 5 years. Even Chester Taylor is on pace for over 1400 rushing yards behind Minnesota's good run-blocking.

Leon is plenty beefier than (and runs similarly to) Warrick Dunn & size hasn't stopped him from getting all the non-short-yardage carries for years.

Also, if you have good run-blocking in place, it doesn't piss the season away with an injury to a starting HB.

It was NT I was surprised he rated as less of a need. DE & OLB? Guess Cimini doesn't see Bryan Thomas play as surprise, or he doesn't like Hobson. I don't worry that much about FB, because they shouldn't be that tough to find. Of course, if that were the case we'd have one now.

It was NT I was surprised he rated as less of a need. DE & OLB? Guess Cimini doesn't see Bryan Thomas play as surprise, or he doesn't like Hobson. I don't worry that much about FB, because they shouldn't be that tough to find. Of course, if that were the case we'd have one now.

Agree with all of this. Problem is that other than the guy on Oakland who got flagged for kicking a Seattle player in the balls, no one's about to hit FA or are obvious draft choices. I'm holding out hope for Jason Pociask to work out. Askew is friggin' useless & won't be re-signed.

Great Chat, sorry I missed it.

Rich does seem to have some insight, but now with all the blogs, forums, shows, it is hard to read any new news. You know?

BZ

I feel the same way. Between this board, and a few decent news sites (si.com, nfl.com, etc.) there is as lot out there.

Anybody else surprised that he rates DE, RB and OLB ahead of NT as offseason needs? I guess that says worlds about how bad Kimo has been. Interested about OLB though, they aren't good, but I didn't think they were that bad.

Rich had a couple of nice things to say about Robertson. The results are not where they need to be but this doesn't seem to be a guy that they are giving up on. (Yes I know he will end up being a DE here).

Great Chat, sorry I missed it.

Rich does seem to have some insight, but now with all the blogs, forums, shows, it is hard to read any new news. You know?

BZ

I cleaned this one up a bit.

BZ -- getting back on track here, you are right. I thought about this the other day. There were like 300 midseason report cards posted.

Rich had a couple of nice things to say about Robertson. The results are not where they need to be but this doesn't seem to be a guy that they are giving up on. (Yes I know he will end up being a DE here).

I'm not one of the Robertson haters here. I'm not quite ready to place all the blame for the lack of run D or Vilma's decline on his shouldlers. I agree with Cimini that replacing Kimo is more important. They do need another NT that can see significant time. If it's Pouha, Tui or Moore fine. If not they'd better find something. DRob has looked much better late in the games after they rotate out of the 3-4 and let him penetrate.

If you go to sperms daily Jets newspaper thread, Cimini in the dailynews says that Robertson is moving out to RDE and Moore is taking over at the nose. In the wide-body look....

But really, Robertson is stronger and quicker than Kimo, so this could be our Dline the rest of the season IMO. Maybe we could finally see Mosley active??

If you go to sperms daily Jets newspaper thread, Cimini in the dailynews says that Robertson is moving out to RDE and Moore is taking over at the nose. In the wide-body look....

But really, Robertson is stronger and quicker than Kimo, so this could be our Dline the rest of the season IMO. Maybe we could finally see Mosley active??

Well Cimini also made it clear they didn't feel Mosley was a 3-4 player. It would be nice if Moore can handle a bigger workload. DRob would be okay at DE. Then they could save Kimo in case they ever face Palmer.

Well Cimini also made it clear they didn't feel Mosley was a 3-4 player. It would be nice if Moore can handle a bigger workload. DRob would be okay at DE. Then they could save Kimo in case they ever face Palmer.

Nobody on this front 7 is a 3-4 player. Mosley will fit right in! :dohslap:

I'm not counting Kimo, because he just isnt a player.

Archived