1-Gap versus 2-Gap DLinemen Techique

PatsFanTX

As Jets fans have seen so far this season, the intricacies between roles and responsibilities for a DLineman in a 3-4 base defense is like night and day compared to the roles and responsibilities in a 4-3 base defense.

I'd like to hear some thoughts/observations on how you feel the Jets are adapting to the 2-gap technique versus the standard 1-gap technique that they were accustomed to playing.

Will Mangini continue to stay with the 3-4 or do you think he will go back to the 4-3?

Discuss.

He's coached the 3-4 his whole career and it's been pretty successful until now. He might bring out more 4-man fronts several times each game, but he's not changing the base back to a 4-3. Plus, those 4-man fronts are mostly an OLB going to the LOS. What has to worry him is that the talent isn't adapting at all. Robertson may be slightly better the last few weeks; Vilma probably needs to move outside. And he's stuck with this talent until at least next offseason. What's been surprising is how poorly the front 7 has adjusted. It's still football, these are ighly paid professionals and top draft picks. And damn the coverages, fronts, responsiblities, gaps,these guys simply don't make plays.

I think I read Robertson gets moved to End this week in favor of Moore.

We'll see how that works out.

Robertson does not have the size nor has he shown the discipline/patience yet required to play effectively in the 2 gap schemes a 3-4 defense calls for the majority of the time.

Mangini addressed the OL in last years draft and will take care of the DL via next years FA and draft.

Like Bugg says though, football is football and the adjustment should not be this painful.

I think I read Robertson gets moved to End this week in favor of Moore.

We'll see how that works out.

Great move by Mangini.

DeWayne was not set up to be the prototypical NT in a 3-4 base defense.

With his speep/quickness, I'm sure he will do a great job at RDE in the 3-4.

Will Mangini continue to stay with the 3-4 or do you think he will go back to the 4-3?

I was wondering this myself.

I was wondering if maybe he scraps the 3-4 for a season or two until he has the players to make the system work. Maybe not totally scrap it, but make the 4-3 their base defense and then when he has the players go with the 3-4 and have the versatility for both.

LBers for the Par$ells/Belichick 3-4 are more built then drafted. With four teams scouring for the same type of LBers, it might be easier for Mangini to build a 4-3 D and utilize Vilma better, then shift to a full time 3-4 if and when he has the peronnel.

I was wondering this myself.

I was wondering if maybe he scraps the 3-4 for a season or two until he has the players to make the system work. Maybe not totally scrap it, but make the 4-3 their base defense and then when he has the players go with the 3-4 and have the versatility for both.

LBers for the Par$ells/Belichick 3-4 are more built then drafted. With four teams scouring for the same type of LBers, it might be easier for Mangini to build a 4-3 D and utilize Vilma better, then shift to a full time 3-4 if and when he has the peronnel.

I'd think you'd rather compete with 4 other teams for players than 27.

I'd think you'd rather compete with 4 other teams for players than 27.

True.

Look at the Patriots.

A few years ago they had some old ones and a couple of vets (Vrabel and Colvin) on the right side of 30. By next season, all 4 LBer spots will be occupied by players over 30. Tully Banta-Cain has had a few moments, but I do not think they are ready to turn it over to him anytime soon. They also have a few 'projects' they are working on, but no one that is clearly a replacement for any one position much less four. Plus, it is not for a lack of effort. they have drafted and signed young FAs only to have it not workout.

If Mangini is looking for a Par$ells/Belichick LBer, he is probably going to be able to fill out his DL before finding four of them.

Great move by Mangini.

DeWayne was not set up to be the prototypical NT in a 3-4 base defense.

With his speep/quickness, I'm sure he will do a great job at RDE in the 3-4.

He's inside "3-Technique" quick, not RDE quick. This experiment will be interesting, but I'm not sure it will be successful. I'd like to see if Moore can standup and be a fat-ass at NT with more snaps. DRob will probably find a home in Tampa, Indy, or KC inside 24 months.

He's inside "3-Technique" quick, not RDE quick. This experiment will be interesting, but I'm not sure it will be successful. I'd like to see if Moore can standup and be a fat-ass at NT with more snaps. DRob will probably find a home in Tampa, Indy, or KC inside 24 months.

You are wrong. Robertson will stick here as a DE. Not saying he will playi on a pro bowl level. Not saying he will ever warrant the picks they gave up for him. But he will be a good DE.

What about Ellis though? He has been invisible.

You are wrong. Robertson will stick here as a DE. Not saying he will playi on a pro bowl level. Not saying he will ever warrant the picks they gave up for him. But he will be a good DE.

What about Ellis though? He has been invisible.

I don't think I am, but that's not to say I'm not. My wife would agree with you - I'm always wrong if you ask her. ;)

Archived