this homer wasn't wowed by penny on sunday

joewilly

no running game & he still did all the right things on sunday. the announcers were saying he " had zip on that ball" a few times. I just didn't see it. I can't put my finger on it, he made all the throws, juked a lineman offsides, did everything right but I just was not overwhelmed by his play enough to think, wow, this guy can get it done for us.

maybe its just a matter of getting the running game to click with the passing game but winning out doesn't seem feasible. I know its great to eat up the clock on drives but it seems to take a lot of plays to get in to score.

no running game & he still did all the right things on sunday. the announcers were saying he " had zip on that ball" a few times. I just didn't see it. I can't put my finger on it, he made all the throws, juked a lineman offsides, did everything right but I just was not overwhelmed by his play enough to think, wow, this guy can get it done for us.

maybe its just a matter of getting the running game to click with the passing game but winning out doesn't seem feasible. I know its great to eat up the clock on drives but it seems to take a lot of plays to get in to score.

just think of how much better Chad would be if we actually had an AVERAGE running attack-one of his strengths is (and he's even better than Peyton Manning on this) is his play action passes-the opposition is sitting there saying go ahead and run...Chad is having to use the pass to TRY,try and open up the run-and they still ain't getting it done.I'm telling you it's gonna take one guy stepping up and getting some rhythm and timing going with the OL...and visa-versa

but...but...he was injured...and...and...he got up and started waving his arms to pump up the crowd...and he said he loves Jets fans...

I gotta say I was moved by the crowd reaction & seeing him get up & not having a shoulder problem. that was pretty cool actually.... I like chad more than most here.

as a matter of fact , prior to this thread, I daresay I liked you more than most ;)

just think of how much better Chad would be if we actually had an AVERAGE running attack-one of his strengths is (and he's even better than Peyton Manning on this) is his play action passes-the opposition is sitting there saying go ahead and run...Chad is having to use the pass to TRY,try and open up the run-and they still ain't getting it done.I'm telling you it's gonna take one guy stepping up and getting some rhythm and timing going with the OL...and visa-versa

Good/great QB's still get the job done even when they don't have a good running game.

I know one QB who won a Super Bowl with the 27th ranked rushing offense in the NFL.;)

BTW, nobody does a play-action pass better than Peyton Manning.

You are just a homer if you think PennyBoy does it better.

I gotta say I was moved by the crowd reaction & seeing him get up & not having a shoulder problem. that was pretty cool actually.... I like chad more than most here.

as a matter of fact , prior to this thread, I daresay I liked you more than most ;)

I just don't know what people expect out of the QB anymore-OK we don't have Peyton Manning on our team neither does anybody else except Indianapolis-what we have is a pretty damn good QB that has under 50 starts in his career and is a smart guy that can do alot of the things that players with rocket arms will NEVER be able to do-I still like Chad as our quarterback

Good/great QB's still get the job done even when they don't have a good running game.

I know one QB who won a Super Bowl with the 27th ranked rushing offense in the NFL.;)

chad got it done without a running game... did you just compliment him?

I say chad is better than manning at the play action fake

chad got it done without a running game... did you just compliment him?

I say chad is better than manning at the play action fake

He did everything he needed to do on Sunday to win, and that's the bottom line.

And you are certainly entitled to your opinion on who does a better play-action pass.

Although you are wrong.;)

oh there's no doubt that I'm a homer-I wouldn't be on this site 365 days a year if I wasn't but I'm also a pretty keen observer of the game and have seen a lot of QBs play the position in my 40 years now of watching the NFL and AFL.I KNOW Chad Pennington is better than Peyton at play action passes,because I've watched them both and it's not just my green colored glasses making that judgement.We just haven't seen it this year as much as I wish we could...on account of nobody is afraid of Barlow,Houston or Washington

We did go 91 yards in 3:19 but I get your drift.

I'd take Pennington over Carr whom many here have called the better QB.

What impressed me the most is that his shoulder held up after taking that hit and have a 300 pound lineman land on you while you yourself are laying on your twice surgically repaired shoulder. Kudos the trainers for actually getting Chad 100% before he hit the field this season, unlike last season where I still believe his shoulder was 75% healed at best at the beginning of the season.

IMO joewilly, he has had some more zip on the ball this season than in recent seasons and I thought aside from the first 2 drives he played a pretty damn good game. Granted, the Texans only have one DB that you don't have to look up in the program to know his name and that's Dunta Robinson, who didn't do much against either JCotch or LC.

What impressed me the most is that his shoulder held up after taking that hit and have a 300 pound lineman land on you while you yourself are laying on your twice surgically repaired shoulder. Kudos the trainers for actually getting Chad 100% before he hit the field this season, unlike last season where I still believe his shoulder was 75% healed at best at the beginning of the season.

IMO joewilly, he has had some more zip on the ball this season than in recent seasons and I thought aside from the first 2 drives he played a pretty damn good game. Granted, the Texans only have one DB that you don't have to look up in the program to know his name and that's Dunta Robinson, who didn't do much against either JCotch or LC.

I agree 124 but thats my problem. that was a damn good performance for chad. I loved some of the throws like the one up the middle to baker but a lot of others looked liked basket catches from the wideouts doing buttonhooks. not many yac oppurtunities mean you gotta make more throws in a drive which increase the chance of turnovers. I'm not complaining & the way the d is stepping up it could very well be enough. i'm just not wowed

no wasn't it 87% or some weird number like that Edwards gave him before the KC game?Friggin idiot....

We did go 91 yards in 3:19 but I get your drift.

I'd take Pennington over Carr whom many here have called the better QB.

Carr has great talent but all those years of getting sacked every other play might have ruined him... He's WAY too eager to check down and dump the ball off.

He wasn't great, he wasn't bad. this is HOU we're talking about though. He won't have much of a test for the rest of the season, though I seriously doubt he'll have any "wow" type games. He is what he is, a very average QB who beats bad D's and struggles tremendously against the good ones.

If you think that Chad checks down and dumps off all the time you just have no idea what you're talking about. That doesn't surprise me though.

He sure did against the Bears though, and he does do that against good defenses a lot. I remember earlier in the year people were complaining that the no-huddle sucks because our defense will get tired, and I was thinking of how stupid a claim that was. With Pennington, even a 2 minute drill takes 8 minutes. But even if it didn't, the defense ought to be fine, and it has been lately.

Archived