I'll Take This Guy Over Anyone Today!!

Jet27

There wouldn't be an offensive line man big enough today that could stop this guy in his prime....

You're freaking joking right? Players have gotten bigger, faster and stronger not the opposite. He would be JAG if he were playing today.

Mark was very underrated because he was hated by the biased media. Sure he couldn't stop the run very well which is important for a DE. But LT couldn't cover a TE to save his life yet no one ever mentions it.

RSJ-He sold out his teammmates on plays by not following assignments and allowing the likes of Lancw mehl to get his neck rung in by oncoming lineman that Gastineau allowed to seep to that level.

RSJ-He sold out his teammmates on plays by not following assignments and allowing the likes of Lancw mehl to get his neck rung in by oncoming lineman that Gastineau allowed to seep to that level.

Lots of that is BS and jelousy, imho. I don't totally buy it. I have heard this from the players - but not the coaches. Perhaps the scheme should have been changed to tailor fit him. It worked for LT and others. Fact is having him as an end in the 3-4 was a bad idea from the getgo. Even a 4-3 wasn't that great of an idea. They should have stood him up and moved him around.

Lots of that is BS and jelousy, imho. I don't totally buy it. I have heard this from the players - but not the coaches. Perhaps the scheme should have been changed to tailor fit him. It worked for LT and others. Fact is having him as an end in the 3-4 was a bad idea from the getgo. Even a 4-3 wasn't that great of an idea. They should have stood him up and moved him around.

They ran mostly 4-3, no?

Klecko, Salaam, Lyons, Gastineau?

Look, I saw what opposing offenses would do to teh Jets in teh last 4 minutes of games with a lead. It was an obvious run play (to kill clock). and Mark would come looping around the tackle to pressure the QB, and teh handoff would go right to the spot he vacated. Bang, 6-8 yards.

I can't tell you how many games ended with teh Jets needing a stop, with Gastineau looking to run after the QB.

They ran mostly 4-3, no?

Klecko, Salaam, Lyons, Gastineau?

Look, I saw what opposing offenses would do to teh Jets in teh last 4 minutes of games with a lead. It was an obvious run play (to kill clock). and Mark would come looping around the tackle to pressure the QB, and teh handoff would go right to the spot he vacated. Bang, 6-8 yards.

I can't tell you how many games ended with teh Jets needing a stop, with Gastineau looking to run after the QB.

They ran a 4-3 up until 84 I believe which is when Bud Carson came in and changed it to a 3-4. Could be wrong about the year - but it was around then. The 4-3 scheme was wrong for Gastineau. And by the time they changed it Mark was too old to teach a new position too. As far as the looping goes maybe there should have been a LB in there to fill the gap? Giving mark inside the LT gap responsibility is a mistake all in itself.

They ran a 4-3 up until 84 I believe which is when Bud Carson came in and changed it to a 3-4. Could be wrong about the year - but it was around then. The 4-3 scheme was wrong for Gastineau. And by the time they changed it Mark was too old to teach a new position too. As far as the looping goes maybe there should have been a LB in there to fill the gap? Giving mark inside the LT gap responsibility is a mistake all in itself.

Actually,Bud Carson came in 85 and changed it to a 3-4 with Gastineau roming all over the place from a standup position on passing downs..he got hurt in late 86 when the Jets got absolutely hammered with injuries after going 10-1..but he made it back to rough up Kosar in the Cleveland playoff game and stab his teammates in the back during the 1987 strike by first crossing the picket line..and then retiring mid-season..I agree with Dierking..he was a one dimensional player..

Actually,Bud Carson came in 85 and changed it to a 3-4 with Gastineau roming all over the place from a standup position on passing downs..he got hurt in late 86 when the Jets got absolutely hammered with injuries after going 10-1..but he made it back to rough up Kosar in the Cleveland playoff game and stab his teammates in the back during the 1987 strike by first crossing the picket line..and then retiring mid-season..I agree with Dierking..he was a one dimensional player..

I do not remember him getting stood up and moved all over the place. I also do not look at crossing the picket line as stabbing his teamates in the back. Retiring however was a stab in his teamates back. Whatever, the guy is flakey and always was. He also was a great player. There are tons of guys that even today only go after the QB and still Gastineau is the true sack record holder (aside from Strahans BS sack on Favre).

I do not remember him getting stood up and moved all over the place. I also do not look at crossing the picket line as stabbing his teamates in the back.

He was moved all over more so in 85 than 86..he was the FIRST PLAYER on the Jets that year to cross the picket line..he was always considered a selfish player before that move..so..I guess your right..they already couldn't stand him..

Retiring however was a stab in his teamates back. Whatever, the guy is flakey and always was. He also was a great player. There are tons of guys that even today only go after the QB and still Gastineau is the true sack record holder (aside from Strahans BS sack on Favre).

He could have had even more sacks,had he been given some playing time his rookie year..IDIOT Walt Michaels started Marty Lyons at DE and sat Gatineau in 1979..it made no sense..THE JETS HAD NO PASS RUSH..until he moved Lyons to tackle and Gastinaeu to DE..

I also agree that Strahan's sack was horse****..

I think some of you guys are mistaken....Gas was up to almost 290 in 1986. Are you saying there wasn't big guys back then...you've got to be joking. The year he had 22 sacks he destroyed Olines like no one has ever have. I am not saying this guy was the greatest guy in the world...al I am saying we was the best passer rusher that ever lived. As for Strahan, now that's a joke. Gas played with bum knees and a bum shoulder in 1985-86...or do you guys forget about that?

In addition his job was to go after the QB..that was the only job? Run protection? The sack excahnge defense was one of the best if not the best (top 10 all time). Come on guys do your homework.

I think some of you guys are mistaken....Gas was up to almost 290 in 1986. Are you saying there wasn't big guys back then...you've got to be joking. The year he had 22 sacks he destroyed Olines like no one has ever have. I am not saying this guy was the greatest guy in the world...al I am saying we was the best passer rusher that ever lived. As for Strahan, now that's a joke. Gas played with bum knees and a bum shoulder in 1985-86...or do you guys forget about that?

In addition his job was to go after the QB..that was the only job? Run protection? The sack excahnge defense was one of the best if not the best (top 10 all time). Come on guys do your homework.

You tell others to do their homework, yet you rate Gastineau ahead of pass rushers such as Deacon Jones or Reggie White?

The greatest pass rusher of all time??

Have you ever seen Harvey Martin play in his prime??

Or like SD just said..did you ever see Deacon Jones of the fearsome foursome..they started taking sack stats in 1981,if I remember correctly..so if you are going by stats..they are misleading..

The greatest pass rusher of all time??

Have you ever seen Harvey Martin play in his prime??

Or like SD just said..did you ever see Deacon Jones of the fearsome foursome..they started taking sack stats in 1981,if I remember correctly..so if you are going by stats..they are misleading..

Not goping by stats, I saw Gas play, I saw LT play, I saw Decon play, and Martin...and without a doudt the best was Gas. Hands-down. Gas was stronger, and quicker Gas did the 40 in 4.4. Decon did not nor did Martin..in fact nobody esle did either at that position.

To put that in persepctive LT did the 40 in 4.6!!!! Come on now.

Off field stupidness and bad guy stuff aside, Gas was the best to bad he didn't realize his full potential.

As for Sperm....you are absolutely correct....50Mil at the very least!

Not going by stats

Really..

Gas did the 40 in 4.4.

Try 4.55

I saw Gas play, I saw LT play, I saw Decon play, and Martin...and without a doudt the best was Gas. Hands-down. Gas was stronger, and quicker Gas did the 40 in 4.4. Decon did not nor did Martin..in fact nobody esle did either at that position.

All you have to do is watch LT catch a running back from behind on a sweep,or watch Jerry Rice run behind people all the time..both of those guys had 'slow 40 times'.you would never know they were that 'slow' watching them play..

Not goping by stats, I saw Gas play, I saw LT play, I saw Decon play, and Martin...and without a doudt the best was Gas. Hands-down. Gas was stronger, and quicker Gas did the 40 in 4.4. Decon did not nor did Martin..in fact nobody esle did either at that position.

Off field stupidness and bad guy stuff aside, Gas was the best to bad he didn't realize his full potential.

As for Sperm....you are absolutely correct....50Mil at the very least!

Jets27-Aside from talent-Which of these players best fit into their defensive concept and allowed the TEAM to excel? Which of these players that are mentioned were the most likely to "take over games' and singley affect their outcome?

All you have to do is watch LT catch a running back from behind on a sweep,or watch Jerry Rice run behind people all the time..both of those guys had 'slow 40 times'.you would never know they were that 'slow' watching them play..

Right. I don't think Terrell Davis ever ran a 40 in under 4.6 in his life, but I clearly remember him running away from the pack during many games.

Bitonti & I were discussing this a while back. Who the f cares what someone's 40-time is in a dome, on a fast track, wearing shorts & a tank top, with running flats on? When is football ever played like that?

Put these guys on FieldTurf, in full pads, with a helmet, and everyone wears the same-length cleats. THEN time them in the 40.

Right. I don't think Terrell Davis ever ran a 40 in under 4.6 in his life, but I clearly remember him running away from the pack during many games.

Bitonti & I were discussing this a while back. Who the f cares what someone's 40-time is in a dome, on a fast track, wearing shorts & a tank top, with running flats on? When is football ever played like that?

Put these guys on FieldTurf, in full pads, with a helmet, and everyone wears the same-length cleats. THEN time them in the 40.

Problem is that is the purpose of the combine, but the combine is what gets a bum rap for producing "workout warriors."

Straight speed is different than lateral speed, etc. People get so enamored with raw athletics.

But, I always like hearing stories of you and Matt playing nicely together. It gives me warm fuzzies.

Archived