Future of Chad, Coles not certain?

nj meadowlands

I'm telling you, Coles is a goner

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwNTQ0NzQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXky

Future of Chad, Coles? record_logo_sm.gif

Tuesday, January 9, 2007

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Laveranues Coles said he and Chad Pennington are a team "through thick and thin."

But at times Monday, as the Jets bagged up their possessions the day after their 37-16 playoff loss to New England, one had to wonder which team the wide receiver and his quarterback will be playing for next season.

No, the money connection in the Jets' offense isn't being traded away, but Coles' remarks about coach Eric Mangini in the locker room and Mangini's refusal to say that Pennington is his incumbent starter heading into the off-season raised eyebrows.

"This was the hardest season I've ever endured in my whole career, period," Coles said. "Maybe I'll feel a lot better in a couple of weeks. I don't know what [Mangini] has in store for us. I'm sure he'll get the chance to put his stamp on the team and bring his guys in, so we'll see what all happens this off-season."

That familiar refrain prompted questions on his future. Does he want to come back next season?

"You really don't have a choice in that matter," he said, adding about his trade following the 2004 season from Washington back to the Jets, "I didn't know what I was getting into at the time, but I know what I'm into now. It's something I just have to deal with and just try and fight my way through."

What if you were approached about a trade?

"I signed a contract. I'm obligated to that."

Retirement?

"This has been a grueling season for me. I think now I realize it's getting pretty close to the end."

Mangini has praised Coles' toughness and playmaking ability on many occasions. Barring a blockbuster deal, he's likely to return for his eighth NFL season and sixth as a Jet.

Pennington also will be back, surely as the starter for the minicamps and training camp. But Mangini, despite several questions about Pennington's status, would not declare him the starter.

"Look, I think Chad did a great job," he said. "Like with every position, we're going to evaluate it as we go. But I really believe in Chad. I just think as a core philosophy, that's what we believe in. This is no statement one way or the other, but I believe in competition. Furthermore, I really like what Chad did and who he is."

Pennington, after his Comeback Player of the Year, 10-wins-and-the-playoffs season, said he didn't know if he proved to Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum that he's the QB who could, some day soon, take them to the Super Bowl.

"My performance on the field over the last seven years speaks for itself and I feel confident in that. I think my teammates feel confident in that," he said. "How Coach sees that, how Mike sees that is up to them. They're going to do what is best for the organization, just like they did last year.

"I have to focus on me, on what I can do to make myself better, which in turn makes my teammates better when I step out on the field."

So the Mangini Era, Year 2, begins with some odd story lines surrounding two offensive pillars. But really, it's no different than the tone the former Cleveland Browns ballboy, who turns 36 on Jan. 19, set all of Year 1. And most of the players scattering to their homes gave thumbs-up for the results the Mangini program produced.

"He did a good job all year," safety Kerry Rhodes said. "He demanded what he wanted and got it done early. He pretty much imposed his will."

"I've played a lot of football -- I started at age 6," wideout Jerricho Cotchery said. "This is the closest team I've played on, and that's a tribute to Coach Mangini. We fought for each other the entire year."

And Curtis Martin, on the verge of announcing his retirement, said the Jets got the best coach available. "If I owned a team," he said, "Eric would be my head coach."

As for Coles and Pennington, they will be vacationing together.

"It's an opportunity for us just to get away from football," Coles said, "and enjoy each other and our families."

And come back refreshed and ready to tackle their football futures.

E-mail: lange@northjersey.com

Jets' off-season questions

1. How about the missing 3-4 parts?

The Jets need a wide-body nose tackle or a right end to help Jonathan Vilma and the entire defense play the run a lot better.

2. Can the running-back-by-committee be adjourned?

Leon Washington finished strong. Is he next year's No. 1 tailback? If not, they need to figure out who is because three- and four-backs-into-one-position didn't work consistently well.

3. Will Brick add bulk?

D'Brickashaw Ferguson is listed at 312 pounds, but finished the season in the 280s. Coach Eric Mangini wants to see "Brick" get "stronger, faster and bigger."

4. Where will they draft?

The Jets have the 25th selection overall. If they package it with the 37th pick, they could move up to No. 10 or 11.

5. Will Kerry Rhodes have to wear shades?

The safety's future is so bright, they call him "Hollywood," and he says he's got some endorsements lined up. But he and Vilma need to take their alliance to the next level.

-- Randy Lange

Jets' 2007 opponents

HOME

Buffalo

Miami

New England

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

Kansas City

Philadelphia

Washington

AWAY

Buffalo

Miami

New England

Baltimore

Cincinnati

Tennessee

Dallas

Giants

Man, Chad must really be an attractive guy, he's got ecurb and Coles both in love with him, and I think Hermy is too. I remember reading something that I thought was a joke at the time, that after the last injury Chad went over to Hermy's home and they both cried and hugged and ate ice cream...wtf...but now I wonder...

He is gonna talk his way out of town.

On the plus side, I am almost positive we can get Santana Moss back in exchange for him. Of course, Santana would be useless with Chad at QB.

If LC REALLY wants out of town, I'd take Moss back. Clemens is going to be our QB anyway.

If LC REALLY wants out of town, I'd take Moss back. Clemens is going to be our QB anyway.

Now would you want Moss back because you own 2 or 3 of his jerseys or because you truely believe he's a better option than RANDY Moss, another Chad favorite.

Now would you want Moss back because you own 2 or 3 of his jerseys or because you truely believe he's a better option than RANDY Moss, another Chad favorite.

Santana IS a better option than Randy Moss, at this point.

Randy just does not care anymore. He has not been trying for the past two years.

Santana IS a better option than Randy Moss, at this point.

Randy just does not care anymore. He has not been trying for the past two years.

Is he not trying because he is on a losing team? Or is he not trying because he has given up? I don't know the answer - but if it is because he has been on losing teams then I think the Jets must get him.

Is he not trying because he is on a losing team? Or is he not trying because he has given up? I don't know the answer - but if it is because he has been on losing teams then I think the Jets must get him.

We have a tough schedule next year. What if we lose? He's gonna quit on us?

I want no part of him. He just isn't the same player he once was in Minnesota. He is TO without the mouth and without the production.

*edit* He has the mouth, it just doesn't open as frequently.

We have a tough schedule next year. What if we lose? He's gonna quit on us?

I want no part of him. He just isn't the same player he once was in Minnesota. He is TO without the mouth and without the production.

*edit* He has the mouth, it just doesn't open as frequently.

I hear what you are saying - but there is a big difference between playing to 8-8 and being on Oakland. I don't think there is anyway we play like Oakland next year. Like I said I am not sure what his major beef is with Oakland. Any person would have a tough time playing for them though. The key question is has he grown up and is his number one priority winning? If the answer to both is yes then we must get him.

Archived