kind of depressing....

pjam76

NY Jets vs SD Chargers wildcard game couple of years ago. Jets wind up winning in OT, then got their hearts broken by stupid playcalling and a two missed FGs to win the game.

Then last year came and we all know what happened. Marty ball cost the Chargers at least 3 games and the Chargers bought into the notion that they were the best team. WOund up missing the playoffs.

This year.

Chargers go with a young QB this year and go 14-2 and have a real good chance to win the SB.

The Jets go with the same QB and have many changes. They go 10-6 and it was a good year. But after the playoff game, i'm not sure this team is any closer to competing with the better teams.

In two years the Chargers are now the best team in the league while the Jets still have years to go unless they make major changes.

Hopefully they make some major improvements in the offseason, because unlike many others, the Jets had a great year, but they were in the middle of the pack on both offense and defense. With a tougher schedule, who knows how they do next season unless that defense gets significantly better and the offense can score at the end of halves and games.

Tired of hearing always next year after seeing teams like the Saints, Chargers, and so on making runs.

It's not that the Jets have to win a SB for me to be impressed, it's in the fact that the Jets do good one year, then it seems they always have to rebuild in a couple of years.

Tired of the rebuilding.

Defense wins championships.

Last week, the Jets gave up 26 first downs.

Today NE has 3 first downs with two minutes to go in the half.

Last week the jets gave up 358 net yards.

Today, NE has 62 at the two minute mark of the first half.

I keep on saying the Jets need to build a top 5 defense or something near it that comes up with huge stops down the stretch.

You don't win in the NFL with a defense that gives up 30 points in a playoff game... I'll let the interception TD score not count against the score.

But people want Jones, Turner and whomever else.. That's all nice, but if the Jets allow 30 points against a good team, none of those players will matter.

I keep on saying the Jets need to build a top 5 defense or something near it that comes up with huge stops down the stretch.

You don't win in the NFL with a defense that gives up 30 points in a playoff game... I'll let the interception TD score not count against the score.

But people want Jones, Turner and whomever else.. That's all nice, but if the Jets allow 30 points against a good team, none of those players will matter.

True, but usually you don't win playoff games by not scoring TDs either. LT and Turner are a HUGE reason that the Chargers are ahead now, heck, LT has more yards than the Patriots do. It's hard to beat the other guy when you can't stop them from moving the ball and scoring at will. This is the same Patriots defense that stymied us last week after all. LT is breaking them.

As good as this staff was last season, they haven't fared any better than previous generations of Jets staffs when it comes to players like LT.

all I say is 3 HOF players in the Jets history. Maybe Curtis Martin will make 4 but he was wasted for years by an aging Vinny T and a young Chad P.

When have the Jets ever drafted a player like LT?

Besides a Klecko or Gastineau, the Jets just don't draft LTs.

14-2 with the best player on defense and offense would be nice, but the Jets didn't have the best of anybody this year. Will they next year? I don't know... I hope, but I won't hold my breath.

Two years ago the Jets beat the Chargers in the playoffs.. The Chargers find a way to get Philip Rivers and Shawn Merriman out of the Eli Manning fiasco. Years ago, They find a way to get LT out of the Vick fiasco. So now they've improved and now have a chance at a SB.

The Jets got beat down by the Pats once again and are still stuck with Chad P at QB and now have a weak defense and no true running game.

Will this team improve next season? I hope so, but it wouldn[t surprise me if they took a step back if that defense doesn[t improve and Chad P or Clemmons doesn't cut back on turnovers

Great post.

I agree, this offseason we need defense, defense and more defense.

You know what happens when you have a terrible O and a very good D? For the season, you end up like the Raiders, or the other bottom feeding teams with good defenses and terrible Os. If you actually make the postseason, you end up like the Chiefs, failing even when your D gets you 3 INTs, and eventually your D starts getting injured from being on the field all game long.

So this offseason, I say we go offense, offense, and then defense 75% O 25% D). We can scheme on defense, and we really just need a true NT and a good DE to be competitive, especially if our O can keep us in games. Then from next year on, we go like 75% D 25% O for the next few years until the O needs upgrades again. Once an O is built it can last a better part of a decade, but a D needs to be constantly changed every few years. Since both units need serious improvements, the O should take priority so that both units are really good at the same time.

Two years ago the Jets beat the Chargers in the playoffs.. The Chargers find a way to get Philip Rivers and Shawn Merriman out of the Eli Manning fiasco. Years ago, They find a way to get LT out of the Vick fiasco. So now they've improved and now have a chance at a SB.

The Jets got beat down by the Pats once again and are still stuck with Chad P at QB and now have a weak defense and no true running game.

Will this team improve next season? I hope so, but it wouldn[t surprise me if they took a step back if that defense doesn[t improve and Chad P or Clemmons doesn't cut back on turnovers

Why are you harping on the problems of the previous regime though? They are gone. Look at what these guys have done in 1 year. 30 million in cap room almost. 10 and 6 and in the playoffs and Hobson, Thomas, Robertson, Cotchery, Nugent, Mangold and others really emerged.

They lost to the Pats cause the defense let up an 8 minute drive to end the game.

They lost to the Colts cause they let Manning and co drive down the field and score.

They got blown out against the Bills.

They lost to the Browns.

They almost lost to Kerry Collins and the Titans.

THe Jets lost 37-16 in the wildcard game.

You give up 37 points it really doesn't matter.

Offense, offense is nice, but last time I checkd, that was the Colts for years. Offense and no defense. They never won.

This year it's been mostly defense and they are in the AFC Championship game.

Yeah offense needs to improve, but this defense stunk. Schemes don't work when you are rated near the bottom of the league in defense.

True, but usually you don't win playoff games by not scoring TDs either. LT and Turner are a HUGE reason that the Chargers are ahead now, heck, LT has more yards than the Patriots do. It's hard to beat the other guy when you can't stop them from moving the ball and scoring at will. This is the same Patriots defense that stymied us last week after all. LT is breaking them.

A Rb like that doesnt come around often.

They lost to the Pats cause the defense let up an 8 minute drive to end the game.

They lost to the Colts cause they let Manning and co drive down the field and score.

They lost to the Browns.

Offense, offense is nice, but last time I checkd, that was the Colts for years. Offense and no defense. They never won.

Yeah offense needs to improve, but this defense stunk. Schemes don't work when you are rated near the bottom of the league in defense.

They were a crappy 4-12 team. They lost one of their few true assets in Martin, yet went 10-6 and made the playoffs. Did you expect them to be the '85 Bears this year?

No, but the Saints were 3-13 and are now in the NFC Championship game.

All i'm saying it's always been "next year" for the Jets. 39 years and counting that's all.

do you not like what you're seeing in the direction of this team? Do you think there is NO chance we win the super bowl next year? Mangini and Tannenbaum were working with Herman Edwrads and Terry Bradway players-trying to fit square pegs into round holes this year and made the playoffs...

I had some hope but the way they were beat down by the Pats and after watching the other playoff games, I don't think the Jets are even close.

They can never beat the good teams. They always come up with a bad turnover or horrible mental errors or whatever.. It's the same thing year after year.

While I liked what Mangini did this season, after seeing some of these other rookies making contributions, I'm not so sure the GM did that great a job.

They got some good players, but the fact is, if people want Turner, Jones, Adrian Peterson or whomever, that means Washington wasn't a great draft pick.

Mangold looks like a stud at center.. He should get better. I don' t know about Dbrick. There were games where he looked good, other games where he looked terrible. Maybe he'll improve but there is no gurantee of that.

Brad Smith was a nice pick.

All I'm saying is, you don't get blown out 37-16 in the playoffs and think your close to competing with that same team in your division next year.

They need a top 5 defense. Plain and simple. If that doesn't happen, no I don't think they have a shot at the SB next year.

They lost to the Browns.

I disagree. I think we definetly need to improve our D, but I dont think thing are as bad as you are making them out to be. The score was 17-10 at the half in a playoff game on the road. In the second half NE scored 10 points on our D, They got 10 points off of Chad (the "Chaderal" and the int for a TD) and our offense scored 6.

The D was also very close to making a few big plays in the second half as well that could have turned the game. Barrett almost had an int in the end zone, Miller almost had one on the deep ball to jackson, hopefully with a few more players and some more time together they will improve upon this season.

Tom Brady has thrown 2 interceptions so far today.

Yet The Pats are still in the game.

Yeah Chad P had a bad game, but the defense allowed 30 points. Plain and simple.

YOu dont win when you allow 30 points atainst the better teams.

The Defense was rated closer to the bottom of the league than the top of the league.

RIght now you have a team rated Number one in defensive Turnovers(SD) and a team rated near the top of the league in Defense(NE)...

The Colts, while that defense stunk during the year, they have allowed 1 TD in two playoff games.

The Jets allowed 30 points.

That's all you need to know about defense.

Yeah Chad P had a bad game, but the defense allowed 30 points. Plain and simple.

The Defense was rated closer to the bottom of the league than the top of the league.

RIght now you have a team rated Number one in defensive Turnovers(SD) and a team rated near the top of the league in Defense(NE)...

The Colts, while that defense stunk during the year, they have allowed 1 TD in two playoff games.

The Jets allowed 27 actually, 7 were against Chad on an INT, and 3 from the Chaderal. Brady's INTs thus far have not resulted in scores, it helps that he waits until getting further into opponent's territory, and it helps that he has scoring drives in addition to that.

But even so, let's use the Chargers D and the Jets O from last week. The Chargers have allowed 13 points, add 3 from the Chaderal, that's 16. The Jets O scored 16. So even with the Chargers D we would likely lose, even discounting the Chad INT and the 7 points from that, because we would need another score.

The Chargers have one of the best defenses in the league, but they need the offense to score points to win playoff games. Even with one of the best offenses in the league, they are not blowing out the Patriots. That just shows you how good EVERYONE'S defense is in the playoffs! If your O isn't good, how are they going to score themselves? Everyone talks about defense winning championships, but I look at it more as a requisite and a given, everyone at this level has a great D, it's the resourceful Os and QBs that manage to beat these Ds that win championships.

Of course you need to score to win, that is a simple fact.

But like you said, the Chargers and Pats have top defenses. They also have good offenses.

How are the Jets going to compete when their defense is rated near the bottom of the league.

If they can't score nor stop the other team, it's a loss.

and whatever way you look at it, 27 points is not a good defensive effort.

Is the defense to blame for allowing a FG when the Jets fumbled and Wilfolk returned the ball to the 15 and they held the Pats to a FG? So quite frankly they gave up 27, not a big difference I know. Didnt our D cause and recover a Dillon fumble inside the 20 that we did nothing with and wound up with a FG? I think our D played well considering our offesne did nothing with the opportunities given to them and we were still in the game in the 4th quarter.

Yes Brady has thrown 2 ints but were any of themn returned for a TD? the turnover battle is even as the chargers have 2 fumbles lost.

The Colts have played a game at home against a bad offense, and went on the road to balt and played an inept offense.

The Jets defense has not done a good job.

Manning has thrown 5 interceptions yet they are in the AFC Championship game.

Chad P had a poor game but the running game was non existent.

Like I said, the offense with Chad P will not be a a Colts offense or a 99 Rams offense or a Chargers offense.

Therefore the defense needs to hold teams to around 15 points per game.

IF they can't, I just don't see this team beating the better teams in the playoffs.

Of course you need to score to win, that is a simple fact.

But like you said, the Chargers and Pats have top defenses. They also have good offenses.

How are the Jets going to compete when their defense is rated near the bottom of the league.

If they can't score nor stop the other team, it's a loss.

and whatever way you look at it, 27 points is not a good defensive effort.

How so? I say we need to improve both, you seem to say you only need defense, if anything you contradict yourself. If I say a top defense is given at that level, does that not logically mean I expect us to get a better defense than what we have now? If you can't score, it's a loss. If you can't stop the other team, it's probably a loss too. Failing at both just means a blowout loss. Just having a good defense is clearly not enough, so how does it "win" championships? I've always disliked that dopey cliche. It's like the "run the ball" to win thing.

The Jets defense has not done a good job.

Manning has thrown 5 interceptions yet they are in the AFC Championship game.

Chad P had a poor game but the running game was non existent.

Like I said, the offense with Chad P will not be a a Colts offense or a 99 Rams offense or a Chargers offense.

Therefore the defense needs to hold teams to around 15 points per game.

IF they can't, I just don't see this team beating the better teams in the playoffs.

If Chad cant lead the offense on scoring drives why is that the D's fault? I think the play of our D will improve netx year and we need the play at QB to improve as well. Chad is in his 30's and we shouldnt build the team around him, with should build a team that will win now and in the future.

Tom Brady has thrown 2 interceptions and hasn't looked that good for the most part. NOr has the Pats offense for much of the game.

LT has done nice things, but Rivers hasn't looked that impressive.

The score is 14-13 in the 4th quarter.

The Colts beat the Ravens 15-6 in Baltimore and neither team scored a TD.

The Jets Defense allowed 27 points.

You make excuses for the Colts, for Brady, for this and that, but the fact is, it's the defenses that have kept these games close.. That is all you can ask for.. Keep a game close and let your playmakers make the difference.

Whether it's Brady, LT, and so on.

Problem with the Jets is they really have no playmakers on offense. Coles and Cotchery make nice plays here and there, but they aren't a Brady or LT or Jerry Rice type of player.

Yeah the game was close at halftime. But the jets were outscored 30-6 to end that playoff game.

remember it was 10-7 Jets at one point.

Getting outscored 30-6 to end any game is bad, it's horrible in the playoffs.

I have concerns that unless some major changes are made, this team will take a step back.. People see things with rose colored glasses because at the end of the day, after watching the playoffs this season, I don't see the Jets getting any closer next year unless they make some major changes on defense and some on offense.

Tom Brady has thrown 2 interceptions and hasn't looked that good for the most part. NOr has the Pats offense for much of the game.

LT has done nice things, but Rivers hasn't looked that impressive.

The score is 14-13 in the 4th quarter.

The Colts beat the Ravens 15-6 in Baltimore and neither team scored a TD.

The Jets Defense allowed 27 points.

You make excuses for the Colts, for Brady, for this and that, but the fact is, it's the defenses that have kept these games close.. That is all you can ask for.. Keep a game close and let your playmakers make the difference.

Whether it's Brady, LT, and so on.

Problem with the Jets is they really have no playmakers on offense. Coles and Cotchery make nice plays here and there, but they aren't a Brady or LT or Jerry Rice type of player.

Yeah the game was close at halftime. But the jets were outscored 30-6 to end that playoff game.

remember it was 10-7 Jets at one point.

Getting outscored 30-6 to end any game is bad, it's horrible in the playoffs.

I have concerns that unless some major changes are made, this team will take a step back.. People see things with rose colored glasses because at the end of the day, after watching the playoffs this season, I don't see the Jets getting any closer next year unless they make some major changes on defense and some on offense.

Im not making excuses for anybody nor do I wear rose colored glasses(have you read my posts?)

All that I am syaing is you cant blame our playoff game solely on our D. You keep talking about bradys Ints today, let me ask you why do you think he has thrown 3 of them? Our offense last week put no pressure on the Pats offense to have to score. they didnt at any point have to take any chances to keep up with us. Brady today has to score to keep up with the Chargers and has to take more risks in doind so allowing the D to make more plays. We didnt score and the Pats didnt have to take any chances.

The SD pressure has a lot to do with the way Brady is playing..

How many sacks did the Jets have last week?

I dont think they had any.

For all the pressure and everything with the game on the line in the 4th quater of a playoff game against the great SD D Brady completes a 49 yarder to caldwell. Do you see Chad doind that? Its not just the D.

Everybody knows Brady is a HOF QB.

The Jets haven't had a QB like that since Joe Namath.

Thats the point isnt it. look at the 4 teams left, 3 of them get great qb play the other a great D. So we either need to find 1 great player or 11.

Archived