SB III Replay: MERGED

DHJF

He didn't deserve the MVP.

Matt Snell and George Sauer would have been good choices. Perhaps they deserved it more than did Namath. That still doesn't mean Namath played terrible. That was just Patriots-fan-on-a-Jets-board garbage talk from you.

Namath played a smart game, did not turn the ball over, and directed the Jets to four scores. He put forth a masterful performance against a superb defense and he did so without the full services of his Hall of Fame flanker. (Don Maynard played the game hurt.)

Again, I don't know what you were watching.

Matt Snell and George Sauer would have been good choices. Perhaps they deserved it more than did Namath. That still doesn't mean Namath played terrible. That was just Patriots-fan-on-a-Jets-board garbage talk from you.

Namath played a smart game, did not turn the ball over, and directed the Jets to four scores. He put forth a masterful performance against a superb defense and he did so without the full services of his Hall of Fame flanker. (Don Maynard played the game hurt.)

Again, I don't know what you were watching.

I watched the game and it was hard to stay awake. Namath threw 2 good passes. That's it.

If you want to live in 1969 god bless ya mate.

I watched the game and it was hard to stay awake. Namath threw 2 good passes. That's it.

Live in 1969?! HAHAHAHA! That guarantee, Namath certainly ate THAT one. And let's see now...the game wasn't even the same. And, oh, yeah, besides, the whole AFL/NFL merger thing, totally meaningless. :P

Your statements show true football ignorance...from your iditoic stament anout Namath and the Hall to your ridiculouas comments that he had a bad game in SB3. If you knew anything about football, you'd know the following...

1. Prior to 1978 when they changed the pass int rules, a 55% completion % was considered outstanding. 60 was almost unheard of. 50-55 was considered very good. Namath ended his career at 50% and that after 2 years of playing on HORRID teams in 75 and 76 when his overall stats suffered badly.

2. Namath's impact on football went far beyond stats. BUt if you want to look at stats, how about the first to throw for 4000? How about the fastest to 10,000 yards until Marino. How about ROY and a 2 time league MVP? How about comeback player of the year in 1974? How about 2, 400 yard games in 1972 when 400 yard games were unheard of. How about a Supoer Bowl title? No, he never did live up to what he could have been due to injury and poor supporting cast...but theres a reason that from 1965-about 1974 he was the most feared passer in football...bar none. Anbd I guess if you are relying on stats alone, you dont think Gale Sayers is a HOFer either huh? How abut Sandy KOufax?

3. SB3. This truly shoes your ignorance. I can see the anti Namath corwd slammng his career stats but SB3? He only threw 2 good passes huh? I assume your superficial mind is referring to the 40 yard bomb to Sauer and the longf out pattern to Sauer. Never mind that Baltimore was cosidered the best D in 25 years and knocked every QB that tried to go deep on the into submission. Never mind that Namath called his own plays all game (most at the line) and had the Balt D so befuddled they had no idea what was coming next. Never mind that the REASON he didnt throw a pass in the 4th Q was because they were up 16-0 and he was shortening the game. Neve rmiond that 4th Q followed a 3rd Q in which the Jets dominated the TOP and Namath riddled Balt with intermediate passes. Never mind that they WON the game thnaks to his brilliant play calling (as well as Snells excelent running. Namath was brilliant that day...only a fool who just looks at stats can't see that. And I'll a assume this was the first time you ever watched that game. I wathced it live and have it in my collectin for 15 years and seen it dozens of times. So what your superifical, anti Jet viewing saw as "boring", a more astute eye sees as a brilliant game plan against one of the best defenses of all time.

You're a Pats fan...I get that. I get that that usually means your knowledge of football doesnt really begin until 2001. It also means that your a pompous ass who since his team FINALLY after 40 years of futility had some succes, it osmehow gives you carte blanche to inflame Jets fans. OK fine...its part of the messaage board culture so have fun with that. But at the end of the day, anyone who criticizes Namath in SB3 just looks like an ignorant, unknowledgable fool.

As to the MVP that day, while Snell was deserving, namath was the MVP. He called the plays, he was the catalyst. Snell was good but Snell also only averaged 4 a carry that day and picked up about 20-25 yards in garbage time. Sauer was very good but also had a critical fumble that was almost a game changer. Namth was flawless that day...if you have eough savy to look beyond the stats.

Your statements show true football ignorance...from your iditoic stament anout Namath and the Hall to your ridiculouas comments that he had a bad game in SB3. If you knew anything about football, you'd know the following...

1. Prior to 1978 when they changed the pass int rules, a 55% completion % was considered outstanding. 60 was almost unheard of. 50-55 was considered very good. Namath ended his career at 50% and that after 2 years of playing on HORRID teams in 75 and 76 when his overall stats suffered badly.

2. Namath's impact on football went far beyond stats. BUt if you want to look at stats, how about the first to throw for 4000? How about the fastest to 10,000 yards until Marino. How about ROY and a 2 time league MVP? How about comeback player of the year in 1974? How about 2, 400 yard games in 1972 when 400 yard games were unheard of. How about a Supoer Bowl title? No, he never did live up to what he could have been due to injury and poor supporting cast...but theres a reason that from 1965-about 1974 he was the most feared passer in football...bar none. Anbd I guess if you are relying on stats alone, you dont think Gale Sayers is a HOFer either huh? How abut Sandy KOufax?

3. SB3. This truly shoes your ignorance. I can see the anti Namath corwd slammng his career stats but SB3? He only threw 2 good passes huh? I assume your superficial mind is referring to the 40 yard bomb to Sauer and the longf out pattern to Sauer. Never mind that Baltimore was cosidered the best D in 25 years and knocked every QB that tried to go deep on the into submission. Never mind that Namath called his own plays all game (most at the line) and had the Balt D so befuddled they had no idea what was coming next. Never mind that the REASON he didnt throw a pass in the 4th Q was because they were up 16-0 and he was shortening the game. Neve rmiond that 4th Q followed a 3rd Q in which the Jets dominated the TOP and Namath riddled Balt with intermediate passes. Never mind that they WON the game thnaks to his brilliant play calling (as well as Snells excelent running. Namath was brilliant that day...only a fool who just looks at stats can't see that. And I'll a assume this was the first time you ever watched that game. I wathced it live and have it in my collectin for 15 years and seen it dozens of times. So what your superifical, anti Jet viewing saw as "boring", a more astute eye sees as a brilliant game plan against one of the best defenses of all time.

You're a Pats fan...I get that. I get that that usually means your knowledge of football doesnt really begin until 2001. It also means that your a pompous ass who since his team FINALLY after 40 years of futility had some succes, it osmehow gives you carte blanche to inflame Jets fans. OK fine...its part of the messaage board culture so have fun with that. But at the end of the day, anyone who criticizes Namath in SB3 just looks like an ignorant, unknowledgable fool.

As to the MVP that day, while Snell was deserving, namath was the MVP. He called the plays, he was the catalyst. Snell was good but Snell also only averaged 4 a carry that day and picked up about 20-25 yards in garbage time. Sauer was very good but also had a critical fumble that was almost a game changer. Namth was flawless that day...if you have eough savy to look beyond the stats.

One other thing. I LOVE how Patsie fans tell us we "live n 1969" as if their team prior to 2001 was the freakin Cowboys or Raiders. The Pats history is not exactly somehitn gto crow about. How many times have the Pats picked in the top 5 of the draft since 1960? How about the ownership debacles? The Lisa Oleson debacle? The truly wonderful SB appearance in 1985? The almost move to STL? Patsie fans forget that prior to 2001, the Pats had the LONGEST drought of ANY team in ANY major sport to not have won a title since inception. Patsie fans seem to think their hoisroty started in 2001 or at the very furthest back when Kraft bought the team.

be careful when you slam Jets fans oh alzheimer ridden Patsie Nation. It wasnt long ago that you geniuses were pining for 1985 or even 1976 and still biotching about the Ray Hamiulton call on Stabler.

One other thing...

MSGold: It almost doesn't even pay to get riled about it. I stopped letting it get to me not long ago. Either people get and appreciate what Namath contributed and meant in the history of the game or they don't. What's worse is having to defend him to JETS fans, let alone rivals. Imagine that. :rolleyes: "Namath doesn't belong in the HOF, stats, blah blah blah..." It's like they smashed themselves in the head with a rock so they talk nonsense.

MSGold: It almost doesn't even pay to get riled about it. I stopped letting it get to me not long ago. Either people get and appreciate what Namath contributed and meant in the history of the game or they don't. What's worse is having to defend him to JETS fans, let alone rivals. Imagine that. :rolleyes: "Namath doesn't belong in the HOF, stats, blah blah blah..." It's like they smashed themselves in the head with a rock so they talk nonsense.

You're probably right...but to say Namath had a bad game in SB3??? Thats just ignorance.

What a truly great post !! Guess you shut the Patsie Troll up for a while. :)

Does anyone who watched it last night know if they showed the Colts TD drive? There is no version of the game out in collector land that has that drive for some reason...only the last two plays of it.

It was the basically the same as ours. They showed I think the last two plays of the drive.

potw nom

Archived