Don't look now Cubs fans......

Jetsfan80

But Derrek Lee is having an outstanding season so far and is singlehandedly keeping the Cubbies afloat (only 3.5 games out!). I knew this kid could rake, but still, I didn't expect him to come out of the gate like he has so far (.416, 8 HR, 30 RBI, 1.282 OPS). Thus far, he would appear to be the best hitter in the game, statistically, and a definite MVP candidate. But of course, 'tis only May...

Very underated player. As a Marlin he was even a 20 steal guy as well.

Wasn't he obtained for Choi?

One of the few questionable moves the Marlins have made.

Unlike Choi, Lee hits for better contact, and also can destroy lefties. Choi MAY have more power, but that is the only thing he has over Lee.

Lee is on pace to win the Triple Crown.

Thanks a lot for jinxing him, 80. I expect his 12 game hit streak to be over tomorrow. :lol:

D Lee is having a great start, hope it lasts.

No jinxes.

Should have monster year, he's crushing the ball!!!!

Go Cubs!!!!

d

Keep it commin Derrek. Historically, he's been a cold hitter until June, but he's on a tear now. Word is he's adjusted his swing to get his wrists around on inside stuff. The book on him used to be to jam him up inside. Looks like thats not working too well at the moment. Should help his K's too. That was his only downside- around a 25% k/ab ratio. A Gold Glove infielder - he's already saved us plenty of runs with his D. Best trade the Cubs have executed in awhile.

Keep it commin Derrek. Historically, he's been a cold hitter until June, but he's on a tear now. Word is he's adjusted his swing to get his wrists around on inside stuff. The book on him used to be to jam him up inside. Looks like thats not working too well at the moment. Should help his K's too. That was his only downside- around a 25% k/ab ratio. A Gold Glove infielder - he's already saved us plenty of runs with his D. Best trade the Cubs have executed in awhile.

The Lee for Choi heist washes away a little bit of the bitterness from the Dontrelle Willis for Matt Clement and Antonio Alfonsucka trade.

While Aramis Ramirez has improved defensively, Derek Lee is a major reason why Aramis' errors went down by two-thirds.

Just read that Wood is out for about three weeks or so- Cubs can not get this guy healthy to see what he really can produce in a full season.

Lee was a very underrated player on the Marlins

Just read that Wood is out for about three weeks or so- Cubs can not get this guy healthy

After awhile you just accept the fact that KW probably isn't going to contribute a lot. Many say his mechanics are at fault and he will be prone to arm trouble his whole career. It would be great to have him healthy and throwing well, but he isn't going to make or break the Northsider's this year. It's getting to fish or cut bait time with Kerry Wood.

After awhile you just accept the fact that KW probably isn't going to contribute a lot. Many say his mechanics are at fault and he will be prone to arm trouble his whole career. It would be great to have him healthy and throwing well, but he isn't going to make or break the Northsider's this year. It's getting to fish or cut bait time with Kerry Wood.

I agree. A guy that has a career high of 14 victories should not be given an unlimited amount of rope. I can't remember the last time Woody got through an entire season healthy. If he keeps this up, the Cubs need to trade him while he still has major value in the eyes of other teams. They can't afford to wait until he gets into Sosa mode and trade him for Ryan Freel.

• 1 month later...

I can't remember the last time Woody got through an entire season healthy. If he keeps this up, the Cubs need to trade him while he still has major value in the eyes of other teams. They can't afford to wait until he gets into Sosa mode and trade him for Ryan Freel.

any chance of moving wood to the bullpen as a closer the way smoltz did?

Dempster is still shaky as hell. He's been worlds better than LaTroy Hawkins, but he seems more like an Octavio Dotel than a Billy Wagner. As for the idea of Wood moving into the closer role, it wouldn't surprise me if Joe Morgan completely fabricated that story. I've heard absolutely nothing in regards to this ridiculous idea. Whenever Woody is healthy, he is still a dominant starter. The problem is that he is never healthy.

Dempster is still shaky as hell. He's been worlds better than LaTroy Hawkins, but he seems more like an Octavio Dotel than a Billy Wagner. As for the idea of Wood moving into the closer role, it wouldn't surprise me if Joe Morgan completely fabricated that story. I've heard absolutely nothing in regards to this ridiculous idea. Whenever Woody is healthy, he is still a dominant starter. The problem is that he is never healthy.

moving to the pen prolonged smoltz career. he had a history of arm troubles prior to moving to the closer role.

Dempster has done a great job in the closer position and I hope he continues to refine his role there. We don't have anybody else untill Wuertz matures a little more. Saturdays 9th was real ugly, but prior to that he's been golden. My biggest issue with him is his historic inability to throw his outpitches for strikes. He's a lifetime 548 walks vs. 845 K's in 1032 innings pitched (almost 5 walks per game) - not a good ratio for a closer - although most of those numbers were not achieved in a closing role. When he gets down in the count, he's very conscious about not giving up the pass and comes with something he can get over, which is usually very hitable. He has the tools and almost enough heat to be our guy in the closer role. He needs to hang out with Maddux for additional detailing. You're right on Troll - Billy Wagner he'll never be (583 inings pitched - 204 BB - 780 K's)

The Cubbies without Prior and Wood...winning? The end of the world is near.

I think if more teams had their superstars get hurt or traded, they'd have a lot of success.

Take the White Sox, for example. Magglio Ordonez leaves, the team goes nuts.

The Diamondbacks deal away Randy Johnson, and are a MUCH improved team that will remain in contention for most of the season.

Knowing this, the Rockies would be idiotic not to trade Todd Helton at this time. If they get rid of him, they will have guarenteed success!

Prior may be back sooner than thought.

Aramis is getting healthy and Michael Barret and Neifi Perez have been absolutely great suprises.

With the East and West divisions beating each other up the Cubs if healthy should grab the Wild Card at least.

I wonder if the Cubs go for a big bat to resolve Left Field.

Dubois/Hollandsworth platoon is servicable but I would prefer a more sure thing if I am a Cubs fan.

Archived