Jets | Team signs Thomas Jones to extension = Deal complete

Jets | Team signs Thomas Jones to extension

Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:28:19 -0800

The New York Jets have signed RB Thomas Jones to an extension. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

With this extension the deal is officialy complete.

In addition to the basic terms of four years, $20 million, we're told that Jones will get $13.1 million in the first two years, $12 million of which will be guaranteed.

^^This according to ProFootballTalk.com^^

I really feel that we are going to have a great rushing offense... It may even be better than the C.Martin-L.Jordan combo that we had with Kevin at Center. Im one who really thinks that C.Martin is one of the best running backs in history because he could follow his blocks better than any rb that I have ever seen...

With Mangold at center, I really feel that T.Jones can tire the D down and L.Washington can be a special runningback in the 2nd half... Im really getting pumped up thinking about the soon 2 be run game that we have with Coles and Cotch as the WR's...

I really feel that we are going to have a great rushing offense... It may even be better than the C.Martin-L.Jordan combo that we had with Kevin at Center. Im one who really thinks that C.Martin is one of the best running backs in history because he could follow his blocks better than any rb that I have ever seen...

With Mangold at center, I really feel that T.Jones can tire the D down and L.Washington can be a special runningback in the 2nd half... Im really getting pumped up thinking about the soon 2 be run game that we have with Coles and Cotch as the WR's...

:funny_post:

you mean better than when Martin Led the league in rushing with 1697

and LJordan had 497 backing him up...maybe its just me but i would need you to clarify what you mean by better or pass the dutchie on the left hand side so i can bask in the green haze too

In honor of this great signing I got this off ebay.

5357_1.JPG

very cool-it's always best to buy yourself a birthday present-you're never NOT satisfied with the present

so what do we think-will he wear #20 or does somebody else already got it?

Don't know the details yet, but I'll tell you what: it's good for me. I win either way. Either my favorite team gets a stud RB with a reasonable cap hit, or otherwise I get to complain about it. Life is good.

B.S. You have Curtis, we have the field. If Jones is a bust you have to sit this one out. You can not complain about a player and his replacement. Now go spoon with Savage, lol.

Newly-acquired running back Thomas Jones has signed a four-year, $20 million contract that includes $12 million worth of guaranteed money, with the New York Jets. He was scheduled to go into the last year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent after the 2007 season.

This is great!!! I'm really excited. I have to admit , I was watching the first couple of days of free agency go by , I looked like this:

:character42:

With the guys I coveted, like first of all eric steinbach, and also clements and brad johnson - all going to other teams I had begun to feel some frustration. That was relieved in part by the enormous price other teams had to pay for those players - I wanted a couple of those guys but not for that price. Then came the most significant of all free agent news: the release of travis henry. When I heard he signed with denver I thought we had missed a chance but a couple of hours later a friend called me at work and told me the jets had gotten jones. I'm stoked! He is just the hard working , blue collar guy that is a perfect fit for the jets. His production is both strong and consistant and he goes about his buisness quietly - just helping his respective team. I feel I have a better perspective on this than some of you due to the fact that I live in tampa and have had the opportunity to watch jones play in person several times when he was here with the bucaneers. Finally when he had surpassed his former arizona teammate micheal pittman for the starting job here - he asked for starting r.b. money and the bucs didn't want to pay the guy so he ended up in chicago where he's been good ever since. Although there had been some talk about jones and the jets leading up to free agency - I heard nothing once the signing period actually started. Of all the other options we had all been discussing - this signing makes perfect sense and I couldnt be happier. And so it is that history repeats itself again as thomas jones comes to new york. You see there are alot of free agent signings in football , some being back ups and players that end up not making the team. The players that really matter though - the key signings. Last year the jets signed two key position players to start - they were andre dyson at corner and kimo von olhoffen on the d-line, both of whom had just played in the superbowl respectively for the seahawks and steelers. This years first key signing is jones - a 1,000 yard rusher who is also coming off a superbowl appearence! This is an intresting pattern. I think we all saw from the results he got last year from a team so many people underestimated that this is a coach and an organization that wants to win. The fact that all their key free agent signings are players coming off superbowl performances is the perfect example of that philosophy. So , following this very intriguing trend - who might the jets add next that is a free agent? Cornerback Nick Harper of the colts is a blue collar player that fits that mold perfectly - and much like dyson he is good for a few picks a year - but more importantly - in the mold of a mangini defensive back - Harper will come up and play the run and puts up good tackle #s for a corner. Also there is G Reuben Brown of the Bears who has chemistry with, and expierience blocking for, jones in chicago. Both players are free agents at positions that could help the jets, if they were signed, and both are coming off the most recent superbowl - metting the mysterious criteria that has emerged. Jones was an early birthday present for me - now I can't wait to see if they sign one of these guys next!

J - E - T - S , JETS! JETS! JETS!

Archived