Seahawks cut Wistrom; Texans sign Black

The Seattle Seahawks cut defensive end Grant Wistrom, designating him a post-June 1 salary-cap casualty to soften the blow on this year's salary cap. Just this week, Seattle signed defensive end Patrick Kerney, so it was apparent that the team was going to release one of its other ends. It turned out to be the high-priced Wistrom, whom the Seahawks once signed to a contract that included $14 million in guaranteed money.

The Houston Texans just signed former Kansas City left tackle Jordan Black to a two-year contract. Oakland also had been courting Black, who visited the Raiders on Thursday. The Texans will give Black every opportunity to win the starting left tackle job. Houston recently re-signed offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam and there are questions about whether Charles Spencer will make it back from last season's knee injury.

---NFL.com---

man, i was hoping we could have got black. Winstrom used to be real good. i'm not too sure about him now though. anyone know if age is catching up to him?

I think he's only 30. He still has that same nonstop motor that made him a first round pick. He has absolutely no place in a 3-4 defense though. Too small to play on the line and not quick enough to play OLB.

Jordan Black was HORRIBLE. Every time I went to Chiefs message board during the season they did nothing but rag on this guy. Apparently he gave more sacks than the Texans line collectively, ok maybe I'm exaggerating but you get the point. I find it pretty funny that he now ends up in Houston. They sure know how to pick 'em down there.

man, i was hoping we could have got black. Winstrom used to be real good. i'm not too sure about him now though. anyone know if age is catching up to him?

Wistrom is, maybe, a year older (30) than Patrick Kerney -- who will replace him.

Some in Seattle point to his drop off in stats in recent years and make the leap that he was a bust in Seattle. I disagree with that

1) You can't quantify some of the things he brought to that team by stats alone -- Hawks made the Super Bowl with him as one the team leaders.

2) He's an athletic enough defensive end to be dropped back into coverage from time to time (zone bliz), so his sack stats are hurt a bit.

Alk is correct, he has no chance on the Jets, unless they see him as a outside linebacker. That would seem doubtful, but who knows?

Going back to the Rams, or joining Joe Vitt in New Orleans or Mike Martz in Detroit seem like option....Tampa and Denver need DE's and maybe Kansas City will be too, if they trade Jared Allen?

Jordan Black was HORRIBLE. Every time I went to Chiefs message board during the season they did nothing but rag on this guy. Apparently he gave more sacks than the Texans line collectively, ok maybe I'm exaggerating but you get the point. I find it pretty funny that he now ends up in Houston. They sure know how to pick 'em down there.

Black is a lousy left tackle, and would be a mediocre-at-best RT. We already have one of those & his name is Adrian Jones.

Archived