OLB/DE -- Thomas

IlB -- Vilma

ILB -- Schlegel/ Kassell

OLB -- Bowens/ Hobson

CB -- Dyson

CB -- Coleman/Poteat/ Miller

FS -- Kerry Rhodes

SS -- E Smith

Pouha, Wadsworth, Haynes, Kimo etc for depth -- but some of these guys have to go and I wouldnt count on Haynes and Wadsworth making the team.

Some of the LBs have to go now too. Barton seems the most likely candidate -- big paycheck, near the end of his contract etc -- but I wont be surprised if the Jets dont think about moving him for picks -- his value is probably as high as its ever been. I think its safe to say that if Hobson and Bowens are with the team through camp Matt Chathams days as a Jet are over.

Ha,I just realized we could have 3 Coleman's starting next season or atleast on the field at the same time....cant wait for Dick Enberg and Phil Simms to call Erik Coleman Drew,and Kenyon Erik...haha announcers suck.:)

I think the question marks look good.

If only you had more exclamation points.

exclamation points are always good on defense:p

the question mark is there because there is not enough talent there to make an impact. eric coleman and anthony shlegel are good players but are not impact players

Hmmm...

I think it will look more like this:

DE -- Ellis

NT -- DRob

DE -- Kenyon Coleman

OLB/DE -- Thomas

IlB -- Vilma

ILB -- Schlegel/ Kassell?

OLB -- Bowens/ Hobson?

CB -- Dyson

CB -- Coleman/Poteat/ Miller?

FS -- Kerry Rhodes

SS -- E Smith?

Pouha, Wadsworth, Haynes, Kimo etc for depth -- but some of these guys have to go and I wouldnt count on Haynes and Wadsworth making the team.

Some of the LBs have to go now too. Barton seems the most likely candidate -- big paycheck, near the end of his contract etc -- but I wont be surprised if the Jets dont think about moving him for picks -- his value is probably as high as its ever been. I think its safe to say that if Hobson and Bowens are with the team through camp Matt Chathams days as a Jet are over.

you have more question marks than i do

Hmmm...

I think it will look more like this:

DE -- Ellis

NT -- DRob

DE -- Kenyon Coleman

OLB/DE -- Thomas

IlB -- Vilma

ILB -- Schlegel/ Kassell

OLB -- Bowens/ Hobson

CB -- Dyson

CB -- Coleman/Poteat/ Miller

FS -- Kerry Rhodes

SS -- E Smith

u dont REALLY have schelegel startin do ya?

OLB/DE -- Thomas

IlB -- Vilma

ILB -- Schlegel/ Kassell

OLB -- Bowens/ Hobson

So the Jets are cutting Eric Barton or shipping him off for what would probably be second day pick or two so they can start Anthony Schlegel at ILB? Barton has been a good player for the Jets and has made the transition from 4-3 to 3-4. That would be an awful move and Schlegel is horrific.

u dont REALLY have schelegel startin do ya?

Yes. I think he and Kassell will split time at the position and that over the course of the season and that as things progress Schlegel will get a larger and larger share of the snaps.

For more see my response to my old friend PeterNorth that follows.

So the Jets are cutting Eric Barton or shipping him off for what would probably be second day pick or two so they can start Anthony Schlegel at ILB? Barton has been a good player for the Jets and has made the transition from 4-3 to 3-4. That would be an awful move and Schlegel is horrific.

Nice to hear from you again Pete. I enjoy these exchanges with you so much.

My short answer to your question is yes.

Explanation:

1. Barton being cut or traded will be more a result of his pay and contract situation than a result of his play. The guy was not an everydown LB last season. Kassell got 20 -25% of the snaps at his position. Why would the team pay an 8 year veteran 3+ million dollars to play 75% of the snaps on a team that is still building for the future when they can move him this year and begin developing the guy the drafted to be his replacement last year. (see 2.)

2. People act like Tangini pulled Schlegels name out of the air to draft in the third round when the Eagles drafted Gocong. That would be idiotic. Obviously the Jets had him on the board as their pick after Gocong (assuming the Jets actually wanted him) and moved him up when Gocong was gone. This means they intended for him to be a starter for the Jets at some point -- though probably not his rookie year.

3. Two rough plays in his second preseason game and one penalty on ST in a regular season game probably did not shake the coaches faith in him as a starter at ILB even if they were enough to convince you.

Yes. I think he and Kassell will split time at the position and that over the course of the season and that as things progress Schlegel will get a larger and larger share of the snaps.

This is from a scout about your Suckeye:

"Schlegel is a limited athlete who lacks the quick feet and playing speed to get outside the tackles to make plays. He lacks the explosive burst to close on the ball fast in outside pursuit. He does not consistently pick up the tight end quickly in man-to-man coverage, which allows separation, and he lacks the burst or speed to catch up -- this is not a guy teams want covering in man-to-man. He does not protect his legs well, and he can be cut to the ground too easily by low blocks. He lacks agility and quick feet, so he struggles to adjust and tackle well when out in space -- he often ends up lunging and diving. "

This a nice little dream scenario for your scrub. Unfortunately it will never happen and if it does our defense is seriously f*cked.

1. Barton being cut or traded will be more a result of his pay and contract situation than a result of his play. The guy was not an everydown LB last season. Kassell got 20 -25% of the snaps at his position. Why would the team pay an 8 year veteran 3+ million dollars to play 75% of the snaps on a team that is still building for the future when they can move him this year and begin developing the guy the drafted to be his replacement last year. (see 2.).

We are $20 million under the cap. Why would this team cut it's second best linebacker when we have enough cap room that you can drive a tractor trailer through? All so that we can fulfill your wet dream of Schlegel not spending 2-3 years in the NFL as a benchwarmer before he goes into the CFL or the Arena league? I know Woody Johnson is El Cheapo now that he didn't get the city of New York to pay for his dome but he is not cutting Barton and if he does I assure Tangini will get a better replacement Tony "The Bum" Schlegel.

2. People act like Tangini pulled Schlegels name out of the air to draft in the third round when the Eagles drafted Gocong. That would be idiotic. Obviously the Jets had him on the board as their pick after Gocong (assuming the Jets actually wanted him) and moved him up when Gocong was gone. This means they intended for him to be a starter for the Jets at some point - though probably not his rookie year.

First off, I am not a fan of Gocong either. Will he be a good player? I don't know. Will he be better than Schlegel? Probably but who cares, we passed up Gabe Watson, a guy who is developing into a run-stuffing Nose Tackle, for your scrub. We also passed up several good offensive linemen like Ryan O'Callaghan and Jonathan Scott not to mention Jerious Norwood.

3. Two rough plays in his second preseason game and one penalty on ST in a regular season game probably did not shake the coaches faith in him as a starter at ILB even if they were enough to convince you.

And how do you know this? I didn't know you and Eric Mangini were on a first name buddy buddy basis. Mangini barely played Schlegel last year for a reason - HE SUCKS.

2. People act like Tangini pulled Schlegels name out of the air to draft in the third round when the Eagles drafted Gocong. That would be idiotic. Obviously the Jets had him on the board as their pick after Gocong (assuming the Jets actually wanted him) and moved him up when Gocong was gone. This means they intended for him to be a starter for the Jets at some point -- though probably not his rookie year.

total BS.

he didnt draft him i nb3rd round to be inactive virtually whole season..BUST!!!!!!!!!!!

wait,, arent you the schlegel, OSU guy from last year?

That's not a depth chart. A depth chart shows depth. It should at least list guys that will make the team. E.Coleman might not start, but I'm pretty sure he'll make the team. That list just shows guys you think might start. I'm pretty sure Wadsworth will not be the opening day starter.

SJ, Gibbon has been here all along touting Schlegel. You've been watching too many movies to keep up with his posts. There is no way that the Jets will be cutting people to save salary since they couldn't even find a way to spend the cap room they have now.

This is from a scout about your Suckeye:

"Schlegel is a limited athlete who lacks the quick feet and playing speed to get outside the tackles to make plays. He lacks the explosive burst to close on the ball fast in outside pursuit. He does not consistently pick up the tight end quickly in man-to-man coverage, which allows separation, and he lacks the burst or speed to catch up -- this is not a guy teams want covering in man-to-man. He does not protect his legs well, and he can be cut to the ground too easily by low blocks. He lacks agility and quick feet, so he struggles to adjust and tackle well when out in space -- he often ends up lunging and diving. "

I guess its a good thing that he was drafted to be an ILB in the 3-4 system where his coverage responsibilities will be limited and he will be expected to make most of his plays inside the tackles. I wonder if Mangini knew this when they drafted him . . . hmmm.

This a nice little dream scenario for your scrub. Unfortunately it will never happen and if it does our defense is seriously f*cked.

We are $20 million under the cap. Why would this team cut it's second best linebacker when we have enough cap room that you can drive a tractor trailer through? All so that we can fulfill your wet dream of Schlegel not spending 2-3 years in the NFL as a benchwarmer before he goes into the CFL or the Arena league? I know Woody Johnson is El Cheapo now that he didn't get the city of New York to pay for his dome but he is not cutting Barton and if he does I assure Tangini will get a better replacement Tony "The Bum" Schlegel.

First off, I am not a fan of Gocong either. Will he be a good player? I don't know. Will he be better than Schlegel? Probably but who cares, we passed up Gabe Watson, a guy who is developing into a run-stuffing Nose Tackle, for your scrub. We also passed up several good offensive linemen like Ryan O'Callaghan and Jonathan Scott not to mention Jerious Norwood.

And how do you know this? I didn't know you and Eric Mangini were on a first name buddy buddy basis. Mangini barely played Schlegel last year for a reason - HE SUCKS.

After the Jets free agent signings this off season and resigning J. Cotchery they arent 20 million under the cap any longer. The Jets have been looking to trade Barton most of the off season. Why do you think that is true? Who do you think they have lined up to replace him? Of course that might be just a rumor and they may be thinking of moving Hobson inside. Its just my opinion that they are going to give Schlegel a shot.

I never said you were a Gocong fan. I was just talking about the Jets draft board and most seem to think that Gocong was on that list. I was simply arguing that even if they picked Gocong or someone else ahead of Schlegel, he was clearly the next one on their list so he probably would have been picked nearer the end of the third round where E. Smith was picked.

I dont know that Mangini hasnt given up on Schlegel (Thats why I said probably -- see it indicates that I dont know, but that I am just stating my opinion). Its possible that Mangini is just as short sighted and ignorant as you, though all signs point in the opposite direction in his case.

total BS.

he didnt draft him i nb3rd round to be inactive virtually whole season..BUST!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably not. But, if he was inactive more than they thought it probably has more to do with his ST ability and not his ability to play 3-4 ILB.

And, yes I'm that guy.

Sorry I didnt give up hope as quickly as you and PeterNorth think I should have.

That's not a depth chart. A depth chart shows depth. It should at least list guys that will make the team. E.Coleman might not start, but I'm pretty sure he'll make the team. That list just shows guys you think might start. I'm pretty sure Wadsworth will not be the opening day starter.

SJ, Gibbon has been here all along touting Schlegel. You've been watching too many movies to keep up with his posts. There is no way that the Jets will be cutting people to save salary since they couldn't even find a way to spend the cap room they have now.

Sorry it doesnt qualify as a depth chart. Dominator.

I dont have a clue who will be in the 2 deep at D line with all the guys still on the roster and added this off season.

At LB, I didnt think there was much point in listing a back up for Vilma or Thomas because if they're out its because of injury and whoever replaced them would be a patch. I listed two players at the other two LBs.

Dyson is for sure one of the CBs the other three will be back ups and fight it out for the other starters job.

At Safety Rhodes is the depth chart -- again if he gets hurt theres going to be a problem. I suppose I should have listed D. Coleman as the other SS.

As for the salary cap. Salary cap room doesnt go away. Room saved this season will provide more room next season. I suspect that Magnini sees this teams real years of contention to be in 08 and 09, so I expect the Jets to be more aggressive in the free agent period next off season and the off season after that. Losing Bartons salary this season covers Bowens and some of the other free agents for this season.

Sorry it doesnt qualify as a depth chart. Dominator.

I dont have a clue who will be in the 2 deep at D line with all the guys still on the roster and added this off season.

At LB, I didnt think there was much point in listing a back up for Vilma or Thomas because if they're out its because of injury and whoever replaced them would be a patch. I listed two players at the other two LBs.

Dyson is for sure one of the CBs the other three will be back ups and fight it out for the other starters job.

At Safety Rhodes is the depth chart -- again if he gets hurt theres going to be a problem. I suppose I should have listed D. Coleman as the other SS.

As for the salary cap. Salary cap room doesnt go away. Room saved this season will provide more room next season. I suspect that Magnini sees this teams real years of contention to be in 08 and 09, so I expect the Jets to be more aggressive in the free agent period next off season and the off season after that. Losing Bartons salary this season covers Bowens and some of the other free agents for this season.

Well, at least you listed all the starters. The original "depth chart" didn't even have eleven players on it. I guess you meant E.Coleman as the other S? I would have done my own, but mine basically mimics last years starters with Coleman at DE for Kimo.

I think E. Smith will get more time at safety. I think Bowens and maybe Wadsworth will see significant time on pass rush downs and Bowens will challenge to start. I hope Schlegel shows enough to see some part time fill in at ILB. I think we will add 1 starter in the draft-possibly at LB or CB, but I wouldn't rule out DE. We have bodies, but nobody that can't be replaced. If not, at least add 2 guys that will get some run. I'd hope to land a backup NT, but it's not too likely.

Salary cap room does go away. You don't get to carry it over to the next year. As long as you don't get loaded down with a bunch of long term deals or a signing bonus that has to be pro-rated or accelerated when the player is cut having cap room in '07 will save us exactly nothing in '08. We do not get a bonus for not spending up to the cap. There is no need to cut Barton to pay for Bowens and the other FA's contracts. We have enough money to sign more.

some women can never be satisfied :baby:

If the Jets are in the happy position to have some cap space at the end of the year, you just rework some veteran contracts to pass it into next year. It won't be lost. Any vet will happily take cash today in lieu of a payment tomorrow. Cash is then spent this year and is available for next year.

This should be a happy time. Goofing around with the depth chart is off season fun. Why get chippy?

Is Schlegel or Wadsworth gonna be a keeper. Who knows? You can make a case either way. Was Schlegel a good draft pick? It is just too soon to tell. I do remember one quote from Mangini to the effect that he has seen players who were just plain bad in year 1, marginally contributing in year 2 and good players in year 3. Schlegel? He got the year 1 part down. Let's wait and see about years 2 and 3.

Meanwhile, be happy. We haven't lost a game yet.

Archived