Bears | Rosenhaus says Briggs will sit

Smizzy

Bears | Rosenhaus says Briggs will sit

Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:23:26 -0700

Phil Arvia, of the Daily Southtown, reports Drew Rosenhaus, the agent for Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs, said Briggs would sit out 10 games in 2007, play the minimum six to qualify for a season and then see what his options are next year, if the current situation isn't resolved.

He must hate the Bears.

He's getting 7 million to play football. I can't see how anyone can reject that. I like that he has confidence and thinks hes better then the money he's getting tho. They should just trade him.

What happens if he has a career ending injury next season playing under the franchise tag? He gets his $7Mil then what? Nothing ,just a pat on the back and thanks for playing?

I do not agree with him sitting out but I understand where he is coming from.

What happens if he has a career ending injury next season playing under the franchise tag? He gets his $7Mil then what? Nothing ,just a pat on the back and thanks for playing?

That sucks. I get what you mean now, I guess Briggs to Washington was a fluke ?

That sucks. I get what you mean now, I guess Briggs to Washington was a fluke ?

I'm pretty sure this is the last option for Briggs & Rosenhaus. I'm sure he doesn't want to sit and possibly hurt his chances of signing with another team next season. Plus he comes off like a bad guy here which could also scare off teams.

They are trying to force Chicago's hand here. They know the Bears do not want to pay him franchise player money for 6 games worth of work. So from what I hear Seattle & SF are looking into trading for Briggs today. Will Chicage take less for Briggs now that he has said he will sit 10 games or even be more willing to trade him at all?

That is what Briggs & Drew are hoping for.

oh you mean kind of like if a landscaper making $30k a year gets in a car wreck and loses the loss of his legs he can't work anymore? no sympathy for briggs. NONE. take the $7 million and STFU.

The reason he isn't playing is if he gets hurt today, that $7 million is all he'll have for the rest of his life because obviously he's pissed away the rest of the money he's gotten through his first few seasons.

oh you mean kind of like if a landscaper making $30k a year gets in a car wreck and loses the loss of his legs he can't work anymore? no sympathy for briggs. NONE. take the $7 million and STFU.

What does a landscaper getting injured off the job have to do with what we are discussing here?

What does a landscaper getting injured off the job have to do with what we are discussing here?

if normal schmucks like you or I get hurt and can't work we're effed and we get paid a lot less than $7 mill. maybe i'll go tell my boss i refuse to work until i get a long term contract with guaranteed money in case i go brain dead in a car wreck and can't write legal briefs anymore.

I would feel for him more if he wast SOOO damn picky... he already stated aloud that he DOES NOT want to play in the 3-4....

WTF is this guy thinking... he turns his back on his team, turns his back on all 3-4 teams, and now expects to be traded...

I hope he does sit, and then I hope that the Bears force him to miss the rest of the games much like the Eagles did to TO, then he gets none of his money... little POS

if normal schmucks like you or I get hurt and can't work we're effed and we get paid a lot less than $7 mill. maybe i'll go tell my boss i refuse to work until i get a long term contract with guaranteed money in case i go brain dead in a car wreck and can't write legal briefs anymore.

If you get hurt on the job and can't work ever again. You are getting paid from somebody the rest of your life.

If Lance Briggs gets hurt on the job next season regardless on his salary his will be given a big fat " Thanks for eveything " with his last pay check.

If you get hurt on the job and can't work ever again. You are getting paid from somebody the rest of your life.

If Lance Briggs gets hurt on the job next season regardless on his salary his will be given a big fat " Thanks for eveything " with his last pay check.

Thats a risk you take with his career and he knew damn well that risk existed when he signed on the dotted line... sitting out just proves he is a POS...

it's called insurance. buy it (lot of athletes insure their bodies). second, he gets a "thanks for everything" and 7 million dollars, after taxes he's looking at a little less than $5 million. take half, buy an annuity that pays out $130,000 a year for life. he won't starve if he's smart and if he blows it all, he deserves to be broke. you sign a contract, you honor it-- franchise tagging is an implicit part of any contract and a foreseeable occurance.

Thats a risk you take with his career and he knew damn well that risk existed when he signed on the dotted line... sitting out just proves he is a POS...

Im not saying I agree with hi9s decision but I understand where he is coming from. What does talking about the bad side of a franchise tag have to do with signing a contract?

it's called insurance. buy it (lot of athletes insure their bodies). second, he gets a "thanks for everything" and 7 million dollars, after taxes he's looking at a little less than $5 million. take half, buy an annuity that pays out $130,000 a year for life. he won't starve if he's smart and if he blows it all, he deserves to be broke. you sign a contract, you honor it-- franchise tagging is an implicit part of any contract and a foreseeable occurance.

Yea but that 7 million was for the season he would have just played. Not a nickle for the future.

The franchise tag benifits the team more than it does the player. The player gets a pay increase...the team gets the player and the option of keeping him/trading him or cutting him if he gets hurt. Money isn't eveything.

everyone knows that's a possibility when you sign. if you don't want that, negotiate a clause in your contract prohibiting it.

i disagree

Bears should sign him to a long term deal or trade him. He made back to back Pro bowls as a 3rd rd pick.

All he is looking for is security and he deserves to get that chance.

Yea but that 7 million was for the season he would have just played. Not a nickle for the future.

The franchise tag benifits the team more than it does the player. The player gets a pay increase...the team gets the player and the option of keeping him/trading him or cutting him if he gets hurt. Money isn't eveything.

agree the franchise system is broken and it benefits the team more than the player but this was all negotiated with the players union. we actually agree and if i represented briggs i'd advise him to sit for the reasons you have said--however unless i'm on retainer, it is pretty damn near impossible for me to have sympathy for a guy pulling $7 million in a year.

i disagree

Bears should sign him to a long term deal or trade him. He made back to back Pro bowls as a 3rd rd pick.

franchising is a rough deal but your argument is that teams should never be allowed to franchise anyone. sounds like your qualms are with the players union for allowing this practice in the CBA.

agree the franchise system is broken and it benefits the team more than the player but this was all negotiated with the players union. we actually agree and if i represented briggs i'd advise him to sit for the reasons you have said--however unless i'm on retainer, it is pretty damn near impossible for me to have sympathy for a guy pulling $7 million in a year.

I do not have any sympathy for Lance Briggs. My point was I see where he is coming from.

I do not have any sympathy for Lance Briggs. My point was I see where he is coming from.

fair enough-- my real problem is guys who sit when their original contract has not yet expired. this franchise system is bullsh*t and everyone knows it--what it really does it buy you time to shop a guy around for a trade after his original contract has expired.

everyone knows that's a possibility when you sign. if you don't want that, negotiate a clause in your contract prohibiting it.

Im not saying I agree with hi9s decision but I understand where he is coming from. What does talking about the bad side of a franchise tag have to do with signing a contract?

Players have done that before... he should have known better....

i disagree

Im sure they would sign him, just not for the money that his Ahole agent is asking for... lower his price and Im sure they would sign him... you cant get everything you want without first giving up something...

He wants

- The most money

- The team he wants

- The scheme he wants

- whatever the hell he wants

He is stepping on everyones toes here, owners, GMs, and coaches... he is a moron.

Im sure they would sign him, just not for the money that his Ahole agent is asking for... lower his price and Im sure they would sign him... you cant get everything you want without first giving up something...

He wants

- The most money

- The team he wants

- The scheme he wants

He is stepping on everyones toes here, owners, GMs, and coaches... he is a moron.

POTW

He wants

- The most money

- The team he wants

- The scheme he wants

Lance Briggs >> Chad Pennington

:rl:

ecurb is making a good point though-- maybe CHI won't sign him because he's being a troublemaker and malcontent and/or holding out for too much $$$.

Every once and a while you gotta put this Chadophile in his place.

He wants

- The most money

- The team he wants

- The scheme he wants

I was under the impression all he wanted was to be out of Chicage and he prefered something other than a 3-4 scheme.

I was under the impression all he wanted was to be out of Chicage and he prefered something other than a 3-4 scheme.

ya, sounds like he won't even try to negotiate dollars with chicago in good faith. he's basically told chi-town F U, i don't care what you pay me so you can't exactly blame the bears for playing hardball. i hope he ends up in detroit-- then he'll miss chicago alright.

ya, sounds like he won't even try to negotiate dollars with chicago in good faith. he's basically told chi-town F U, i don't care what you pay me so you can't exactly blame the bears for playing hardball. i hope he ends up in detroit-- then he'll miss chicago alright.

Here is a little backstory from KFFL

Bears | No long-term negotiations with Briggs

Fri, 23 Feb 2007 07:40:05 -0800

David Haugh, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said the club is not intending to negotiate a long-term deal with LB Lance Briggs, who was designated the team's franchise player earlier this month. "When we made the decision, it wasn't with the intention that we were going to [negotiate now]," Angelo said. "I'm not ruling that out or saying that's not a possibility. But we made the decision about our finances that he would be playing under a one-year deal." Briggs is reportedly seeking a nine-year deal in excess of $63.8 million.

Bears | Talks with Briggs break down - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 15 Apr 2006 06:53:47 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports contract talks between the Chicago Bears and LB Lance Briggs on a long-term contract broke down Friday, April 14. The Bears were optimistic following a round of negotiations with agent Drew Rosenhaus Thursday, April 13, at Halas Hall that a deal was coming soon, but the tone was decidedly different Friday afternoon as Rosenhaus returned to Miami. Briggs' high salary demands brought the meeting to a halt and increased the possibility the club will select his replacement in the first round of the April 29 NFL Draft.

Bears | Team working on a long-term deal with L. Briggs - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:36:27 -0700

K.C. Johnson and John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, report the Chicago Bears met Thursday, April 13, with agent Drew Rosenhaus to discuss a long-term deal for Bears LB Lance Briggs. The Bears are optimistic a deal will be reached. Rosenhaus remained in Chicago overnight and will continue to work with general manager Jerry Angelo on a deal that could be announced Friday, April 14. Briggs has one year remaining on his original four-year deal that he signed after the Bears made him a third-round pick in 2003.

Bears | Briggs rejected a deal worth about $5.5 million per season - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 1 Jul 2006 10:12:02 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs turned down a deal worth about $5.5 million per season, which would have made him one of the highest-paid players on the roster. The Bears wound up rescinding the offer and Briggs in turn boycotted the team's voluntary offseason program. Briggs is expected to report to training camp and will likely play out the season without contract talks reopening.

Here is a little backstory from KFFL

Bears | No long-term negotiations with Briggs

Fri, 23 Feb 2007 07:40:05 -0800

David Haugh, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said the club is not intending to negotiate a long-term deal with LB Lance Briggs, who was designated the team's franchise player earlier this month. "When we made the decision, it wasn't with the intention that we were going to [negotiate now]," Angelo said. "I'm not ruling that out or saying that's not a possibility. But we made the decision about our finances that he would be playing under a one-year deal." Briggs is reportedly seeking a nine-year deal in excess of $63.8 million.

Bears | Talks with Briggs break down - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 15 Apr 2006 06:53:47 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports contract talks between the Chicago Bears and LB Lance Briggs on a long-term contract broke down Friday, April 14. The Bears were optimistic following a round of negotiations with agent Drew Rosenhaus Thursday, April 13, at Halas Hall that a deal was coming soon, but the tone was decidedly different Friday afternoon as Rosenhaus returned to Miami. Briggs' high salary demands brought the meeting to a halt and increased the possibility the club will select his replacement in the first round of the April 29 NFL Draft.

Bears | Team working on a long-term deal with L. Briggs - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:36:27 -0700

K.C. Johnson and John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, report the Chicago Bears met Thursday, April 13, with agent Drew Rosenhaus to discuss a long-term deal for Bears LB Lance Briggs. The Bears are optimistic a deal will be reached. Rosenhaus remained in Chicago overnight and will continue to work with general manager Jerry Angelo on a deal that could be announced Friday, April 14. Briggs has one year remaining on his original four-year deal that he signed after the Bears made him a third-round pick in 2003.

Bears | Briggs rejected a deal worth about $5.5 million per season - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 1 Jul 2006 10:12:02 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs turned down a deal worth about $5.5 million per season, which would have made him one of the highest-paid players on the roster. The Bears wound up rescinding the offer and Briggs in turn boycotted the team's voluntary offseason program. Briggs is expected to report to training camp and will likely play out the season without contract talks reopening.

Great find.

Drew Rosenhaus is an assclown, why would anybody turn down 5.5 mill a year to play a sport. Just be happy you have been given an oppurtunity to play the sport for money, and stop whining like a bitch.

And this is what I think of the franchise situation with a possibility of risking an injury on a franchise tag. Take the 7 or so mill. and invest it in stock or put it in a bank, and live off the intrest.

:sign0090: and play the damn sport.

I hare absolutely NO SYMATHY for any player who bellyaches about making 5.5 million dollars to play a friggin game for not even a full years worth of work-sorry...screw him...just like I felt about John Abraham and HIS complaining about making 6.7 million for the '05 (disastrous) season

Archived