Our D-line. How big a hole is there in the middle?

ARodJetsFan

I've been thinking about the middle of our D-Line and we may not be in as bad a shape as I thought, especially in light of the fact that we have made absolutely no effort to upgrade it to this point.

There doesn't seem to be any major help coming to the middle of the D-Line via the draft either so lets look at who we have.

There are 2 big questions in 2 key players that need to be answered.

First off let me start by saying I think D-Rob can and will play well at NT but he can't play that position for every defensive snap which leads me to where I'm trying to go with this:

2 guys immediately come to mind:

Sione Pouha and C.J. Mosely.

Both have the size to play NT, Mosely is the smaller of the two 6'2" @ 314.

Pouha obviously needs to stay healthy, he is a guy that I had high hopes for last year, maybe he can prove me right this year.

C.J. Mosely is a guy that has intrigued me since we traded for him, hopefully with a full training camp this off-season under Mangini, he can come into his own.

Thoughts?

I was reading PFW yesterday (we bought a subscription for our nephew-so we get the PDF file of it) and it was saying the Jets have high hopes for Pohau and that he is very much in their plans-which kind of shocked me-I'd say this is his last chance to do something maybe in his career

I was reading PFW yesterday (we bought a subscription for our nephew-so we get the PDF file of it) and it was saying the Jets have high hopes for Pohau and that he is very much in their plans-which kind of shocked me-I'd say this is his last chance to do something maybe in his career

can you elaborate a little more on the Pouha situation? I have high hopes for this guy and I know hes spose to be coming back off that terrible injury. And hes still young so i hope he bounces back big.

can you elaborate a little more on the Pouha situation? I have high hopes for this guy and I know hes spose to be coming back off that terrible injury. And hes still young so i hope he bounces back big.

it was just a little one line blurb that said they have high hopes and that he's in their plans-If I could ever get my wife to figure out how to make screen shots I'd post PFW every week-but she's a busy lady

Fire up the "Grand Poobah" bandwagon yo!!

Oh man, I remember that. A whole bandwagon for this stiff for no reason other than he weighed 325 lbs before the draft. The guy's like 28 years old already & has never done anything newsworthy other than blowing out his knee in camp last year.

Oh man, I remember that. A whole bandwagon for this stiff for no reason other than he weighed 325 lbs before the draft. The guy's like 28 years old already & has never done anything newsworthy other than blowing out his knee in camp last year.

didn't he pull a Mighty Joe Young and save some kids in a fire once?THAT'S something.....

Young? He's 28 and has already had two season ending injuries. He could help around the middle, but I'm not counting on him. Anything we get from him is gravy.

I think Mosley is a JAG. Haven't seen that much of him, so I could be wrong and I hope I am. I was surprised they let Rashad Moore walk. I figured they'd at least want him in the mix.

Nope, they signed another guy, Keyonta Marshall who is almost the exact same size as more, 6'3 @ 325 but again he's an unknown quantity and could be relegated to the practice squad for all we know.

Sperm, I'm not saying this is the case but bare in mind, the guys that are prototypical NT's in the league, and have been successful have played well into their 30's, IE Traylor, Williams, Jackson and Adams just to name a few.

I'm not saying Pouha will be as good as these guys, I'm just trying to dispell the age myth.

It's really a mute point that Pouha is 28, he was 24 or 25 coming out of college because of that religious mission he went on.

Sperm, I'm not saying this is the case but bare in mind, the guys that our prototypical NT's in the league, nad have been successful have played well into their 30's, IE Traylor, Williams and Adams just to name a few.

I'm not saying Pouha will be as good as these guys, I'm just trying to dispell the age myth.

Agreed. but those guys showed something before age 28, no?

I'd love if we could grab Walter Thomas (6'3-6'4/370 with 4.8-4.9 speed). THAT is a f'ing 3-4 NT.

Sperm, I'm not saying this is the case but bare in mind, the guys that are prototypical NT's in the league, and have been successful have played well into their 30's, IE Traylor, Williams and Adams just to name a few.

It's really a mute point that Pouha is 28, he was 24 or 25 coming out of college because of that religious mission he went on.

The difference is those players spent years and years playing that position. As I recall Pouha had a very short college career and is now trying to make the transition to NT. Best case, he's a 3rd. stringer on the depth chart.

Agreed. but those guys showed something before age 28, no?

I'd love if we could grab Walter Thomas (6'3-6'4/370 with 4.8-4.9 speed). THAT is a f'ing 3-4 NT.

I'm not going to BS you Sperm, I couldn't tell you if that was the case one way or the other.

Remember though, the coaching staff seemed pretty high on Pouha in training camp before he got hurt.

The fact the that Pouha missed the entire season last year and has not been cut tells me the coaching staff must really see something in him.

We don't have anything to speak of invested in him (as far as a big contract or a high CAP #) that would warrant him still being here if the coaching staff didn't think he could play.

The difference is those players spent years and years playing that position. As I recall Pouha had a very short college career and is now trying to make the transition to NT. Best case, he's a 3rd. stringer on the depth chart.

Pouha didn't have a short college career, he just had a 2yr break right in the middle of it, that's why he was so old coming out.

Pouha didn't have a short college career, he just had a 2yr break right in the middle of it, that's why he was so old coming out.

That was it. Regardless, he's that old and has had basically no experience in the position. It's a little late to learn enough to even become decent at the position.

That was it. Regardless, he's that old and has had basically no experience in the position. It's a little late to learn enough to even become decent at the position.

I understand that Alk and I hear what you're saying but take this into account.

The coaching staff seemed pretty high on Pouha in training camp last year, before he got hurt.

The fact the that Pouha missed the entire season last year and has not been cut tells me the coaching staff must really see something in him.

They could have very easily gave him an injury settlement like they did with Tui Alaelfulla (spelling) and just moved on but they didn't.

We don't have anything to speak of invested in him (as far as a big contract or a high CAP #) that would warrant him still being here if the coaching staff didn't think he could play and I trust Mangini and Sutton's judgement in that department.

at this point I'm more concerned with depth at NT than who is gonna start there-it'll be Dwayne Robertson-it was no coincidence that the team started winning when Robertson started playing better-remember him and Mangini running off the muddy field arm in arm together?

at this point I'm more concerned with depth at NT than who is gonna start there-it'll be Dwayne Robertson-it was no coincidence that the team started winning when Robertson started playing better-remember him and Mangini running off the muddy field arm in arm together?

That's pretty much what this whole thread is supposed to be about Jim, who besides D-Rob, do we have on the roster right now, that can play the position effectively.

I, myself, am starting to believe that Mangini thinks we are set at NT due to the complete lack of addressing the position through free-agency and it doesn't look as if the draft will bring any significant help barring some kind of a draft day trade.

That's pretty much what this whole thread is supposed to be about Jim, who besides D-Rob, do we have on the roster right now, that can play the position effectively.

I, myself, am starting to believe that Mangini thinks we are set at NT due to the complete lack of addressing the position through free-agency and it doesn't look as if the draft will bring any significant help barring some kind of a draft day trade.

well there's a lot of people around the boards who don't think Dwayne is the answer at NT for the 3/4 we're mostly playing now

well there's a lot of people around the boards who don't think Dwayne is the answer at NT for the 3/4 we're mostly playing now

mangini has addressed NT, just indirectly. He's trying to fill the positions around D-rob, if you give him more help to his right, there will be less double teams for him to fight through. The 2000 ravens are sort of the bar to stack against, and they had 3 very large linemen, none of them would be as effective without the other. Think about putting Seregusa where D-rob is, he'd still be good, but i don't think he'd be any better than what we currently have.

RDE is the position that needs help, NT will be fine.

mangini has addressed NT, just indirectly. He's trying to fill the positions around D-rob, if you give him more help to his right, there will be less double teams for him to fight through. The 2000 ravens are sort of the bar to stack against, and they had 3 very large linemen, none of them would be as effective without the other. Think about putting Seregusa where D-rob is, he'd still be good, but i don't think he'd be any better than what we currently have.

Agreed. If Coleman is good and they draft some more help at LB then D-Rob will benefit.

cool theory md....the Goose though was good those last few years....the best Brearley Bear ever

Nope, they signed another guy, Keyonta Marshall who is almost the exact same size as more, 6'3 @ 325 but again he's an unknown quantity and could be relegated to the practice squad for all we know.

They signed a bunch of guys. They are pretty much just camp fodder. Zarnell Fitch is another, but unlike Moore, none of these guys had much real NFL experience.

I don't think it's a moot point. Whether it was a mission, working in a shopping mall or being on the Pats practice squad, 28 is 28.

Remember though, the coaching staff seemed pretty high on Pouha in training camp before he got hurt.

We don't have anything to speak of invested in him (as far as a big contract or a high CAP #) that would warrant him still being here if the coaching staff didn't think he could play.

It's better that the staff states they liked him, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Unlike Herm, this staff will say the right things about people they don't like rather than kill their value. They also were basically stuck with Pouha as #2 NT after Pope quit camp. I think "being high on him" was partially to keep his confidence up. His low contract means that there was no reason to cut him and there are restrictions on cutting guys that are injured. I hope he can contribute some snaps as a backup, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think it's a moot point. Whether it was a mission, working in a shopping mall or being on the Pats practice squad, 28 is 28.

Get real buddy.

Keith Traylor will turn 38 in Sept.

Sam Adams will turn 34 in June.

Grady Jackson is 34.

Ted Washington will turn 39 in April.

All are still productive. The fact that Pouha is 28 means absolutely nothing other than he could still possibly have ALOT of good years in front of him. :thumbup:

D-Rob is not a NT. He played decent later on in the season against some horrific offenses like the Raiders and Vikings. Actually, he didn't even play that good against the Raiders because Justin Fargas looked like a damn pro-bowler in that game.

I agree that upgrading at RDE will help Robertson but ultimately trying to mask Dewayne Robertson is going to be a problem especially for our run defense.

Unfortunately Mangini has his hands tied due to D-Rob's contract situation.

D-Rob is not a NT. He played decent later on in the season against some horrific offenses like the Raiders and Vikings. Actually, he didn't even play that good against the Raiders because Justin Fargas looked like a damn pro-bowler in that game.

I agree that upgrading at RDE will help Robertson but ultimately trying to mask Dewayne Robertson is going to be a problem especially for our run defense.

Unfortunately Mangini has his hands tied due to D-Rob's contract situation.

On that note, Mangini needs to get D-Rob to restructure this off-season.

Get real buddy.

Keith Traylor will turn 38 in Sept.

Sam Adams will turn 34 in June.

Grady Jackson is 34.

Ted Washington will turn 39 in April.

All are still productive. The fact that Pouha is 28 means absolutely nothing other than he could still possibly have ALOT of good years in front of him. :thumbup:

I don't mean he'll have to retire soon because he's so old. I mean 28 is awfully old to have accomplished nothing in the league. Few 28 year old guys come out of nowhere and make a big impact. Therefore, I don't expect much. Especially since he hasn't managed to stay healthy. Besides, his rookie contract is probably up soon and if he plays well we'll lose him anyway.

Archived