LittleJohn Flowers

Lil Bit Special

http://www.mlive.com/sports/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/117653347137340.xml&coll=7

In a ritual that has played out countless times before, Little John Flowers fielded a string of questions from the media after a recent Kalamazoo Xplosion practice. Flowers knows the drill after playing major-college football and getting several chances to audition for a National Football League job.

Only this time, the media presence was a single reporter and the owner of

Oshtemo's Soccer Zone was waiting to turn out the lights and lock the doors.

Welcome to the minor leagues.

According to the 27-year-old former Loy Norrix star, he's at peace with his newest surroundings. ``I think that my time in the NFL is probably over,'' Flowers said. ``I'm cool with that. I think I've had a blessed career.''

The running back's career, which includes four solid years at Michigan State University, stints on the New York Jets' practice squad and starting roles in NFL Europe, has come full circle.

Flowers jumped at the opportunity to play in Kalamazoo for coach Bob Kubiak's Continental Indoor Football League expansion franchise after being cut in training camp by the New York Giants last summer.

It was the perfect fit for Flowers, who admits the Xplosion and indoor football represents both the final chapter of his football autobiography and the introduction to the rest of his life

Starting next month, Flowers will juggle football and his studies. He's just 15 credits shy of earning his bachelor's degree in communications at MSU. His plan is to move to East Lansing soon and make the commute.

``When I'm done, then I'm going to go get my masters,'' he said. ``If I can stay around here and play for the Xplosion during this time of the year and go to school in the summer and fall, that's definitely something special.''

Kubiak knew he had something special the first day Flowers showed up to practice.

``We knew Little John was good,'' Kubiak said. ``But he brings a lot more to the table than just athletic ability. It's his professionalism and how he approaches the game. He doesn't look at this as a step down from the NFL. He isn't a prima donna. He does all the little things and because of that, he's a leader.''

Flowers, who's scored touchdowns for the Berlin Thunder in World Bowl XIII (a 27-21 loss to the Amsterdam Admirals) and in preseason NFL games, realizes his role as the Xplosion's marquee player.

Studying the likes of two former New York stars -- the Jets' Curtis Martin and the Giants' Tiki Barber -- helped mold Flowers' actions on and off the turf, he said.

``Once you see a Hall of Famer working hard, there's no way I can go out there and not practice hard,'' Flowers said. ``If you see a Hall of Famer out there running 30 yards down field in practice, what makes you think you don't have to do that? I bring that (attitude) here.''

The 6-foot, 215-pound back with an infectious smile takes his job seriously. And though he says he'll open the door if the Arena Football League knocks, Flowers is content if Kalamazoo proves to be the site of his football swan song.

``If the opportunity presents itself, I would consider it,'' he said. ``But I don't think that I would be ready to pick up and move to Arizona or something. Maybe Grand Rapids or Chicago. I'm settling in at East Lansing next month and around this area is where I'll be.''

What's clearly a priority to Flowers at this juncture is seeing familiar faces in the seats at Wings Stadium.

``I get a chance to play in front of my parents and that's the number one thing for me,'' he said. ``I want them to see me finish up my career. They haven't seen me play in person for three years. They started it and now they can finish it.''

Nice little story... I was always rooting for him, but knew he wouldnt make it. At least he has his head on straight and is going back to school and finishing degree... He sounds like a normal person who was happy for the opportunities he had, and ready to move to the next phase of life.

He used to post here. I forget his username.

Well, Marko probably won't be posting much. He is over in Amsterdam playing RT for the Admirals. They lost to the Galaxy, who have Zarnell Fitch. Fitch is another fat DT we signed at the end of last season hoping for NT depth. I only caught the 4th quarter and didn't see him, but McChesney looked like he was getting pretty good push switched over to guard.

Archived