Keith Olbermann returns to football duty with NBC

Smizzy

Keith Olbermann returns to football duty with NBC

By Michael McCarthy, USA TODAY

NEW YORK — NBC is bringing in MSNBC anchor Keith Olbermann to co-host the second season of its prime time Sunday studio show, Football Night in America.

Dick Ebersol, chairman of NBC Universal Sports & Olympics said Olbermann will call highlights and debate NFL news with returning co-hosts Bob Costas and Cris Collinsworth, analysts Jerome Bettis and Tiki Barber and reporter Peter King of Sports Illustrated.

NBC recently dropped one of last season's analysts, Sterling Sharpe, in favor of Barber, the former New York Giants running back.

The assignment marks Olbermann's first network sports assignment in six years. The pre-game Football Night in America is followed by Sunday Night Football game telecasts with John Madden, Al Michaels and Andrea Kramer.

The assignment does not impact Olbermann's prime time newscast, where the former ESPN, Fox and NBC sportscaster has a emerged as an opinionated, politically liberal counterpoint to conservative star Bill O'Reilly of Fox News.

Thoughts?

the guy can't even get ratings for his primetime show... he does sports now? stephen tyrone colbert has you beat every day of the week mr.olbermann!

KO is great.

Not sure how old you are but Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann used to be co-hosts of the Sunday Night SportsCenter back in the day and they were great.

Good move.

KO is great.

Not sure how old you are but Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann used to be co-hosts of the Sunday Night SportsCenter back in the day and they were great.

Good move.

yup and they remain great friends-in fact Keith sits in with Dan on his ESPN radio show still-I'm not sure if it's every day but they have history and a great chemistry together

Best moment: When Knobby had the throwing woes and bounced one off KO's mama in the stands. "He hit my Mommy!!"

I hadn't heard about that...too funny.Hey I heard KO has a hot 23 year old girlfriend...another reason to be an old guy's hero-he's my age

yup and they remain great friends-in fact Keith sits in with Dan on his ESPN radio show still-I'm not sure if it's every day but they have history and a great chemistry together

I turn on the Dan Patrick show once in a while and when he has Keith on they have instant chemistry.

I'm thinking that the couple of people calling out Keith never saw him on SportsCenter.

Olbermann is smart and funny. Something that most anchors on SportsCenter would aspire to be.

Theres a reason why he's on the team Mike. Mostly because of experience..I would love to see you get in front of him and call him a gutless coward.
I would do it in a second. But he'd probably be scared to meet me just like how he pulled out of the Athens olympics because he was scared his security detail wasn't big enough.

I would do it in a second. But he'd probably be scared to meet me just like how he pulled out of the Athens olympics because he was scared his security detail wasn't big enough.

That's wrong bro. We don't need him, but then again we do. We need experience to win, that's my opinion.

Patrick-Olbermann back in the day was great. Olbermann now? I don't know...too political. Hopefully he sticks to football when the coverage starts.

I think he will keep the politics out when talking football.

But madmike says he is a gutless coward so who knows?

He's a gutless coward. He exposed himself as a coward with the Olympic situation and he proved to be gutless with this Imus situation. the guy is scum.

the guy who is obviously your hero in your sig pic is the one who is scum-even worse WAS Bernie his producer

He's a gutless coward. He exposed himself as a coward with the Olympic situation and he proved to be gutless with this Imus situation. the guy is scum.

Free speech is all well and good but when you spew that kind of ignorance on the public airwaves for a private Company you may lose your job.

Thats all that happened. Imus lost his job.

Thats it. Nothing more, nothing less. He lost his job for being an idiot.

Are you learning anything at Rutgers?

Archived