Cotchery works to repeat breakout year

SoFlaJets

BY TOM ROCK

tom.rock@newsday.com

April 26, 2007

Most Jets agree that the theme of this offseason is consistency. After a streak of coaching changes, personnel shifts and injury questions, almost the entire cast is back to reprise their roles. "It feels like this is just a continuation of what we had going last season," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said.

Strange, because Cotchery is one of the few players to have undergone tremendous change in the past 12 months.

A year ago, Cotchery was an underused, virtually unknown commodity preparing for his third NFL season sitting behind two steady, well-paid veterans. This time around, though, he's an established player coming off a season in which he caught 82 passes for 961 yards and earned a five-year, $19-million contract extension a year before he was eligible to become a free agent.

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum touted that long-term commitment as one of the keys to this offseason and pointed to Cotchery as an example of "guys taking advantage of great opportunities."

Being at the head of the race for playing time is a lot different than chasing. But although the incentive and motivation may be different, Cotchery also said the continuity from a remarkable 2006 campaign makes this prep work easier.

"I'm a lot more comfortable," he said. "Other offseasons I was trying to catch the eye of a coach, trying to get established. This year a lot of things are still in place and I can build off of what I started."

So can the Jets. Cotchery's emergence made receiver Justin McCareins and the remaining four years of his seven-year, $31-million deal expendable, and trading McCareins at the draft this weekend is a possible move. That might allow the Jets to jump ahead and pick the first-round player of their choice rather than wait and see who's available with the 25th pick, or add quantity to the six picks they hold.

There's no question why Cotchery would be looking for a repeat performance in 2007; 2006 was so good to him. But he's also looking to repeat an honor that put him on the path toward all he achieved: offseason MVP. He's already won one of the weekly awards the Jets dangle as incentives for their players and is quickly carving a reputation as a ferocious, non-stop worker among his teammates and, surprisingly for such a quiet man, a leader.

"His work ethic did come to the forefront in the offseason," quarterback Chad Pennington said recently. "Our young people saw how hard he worked and then they were able to see how it correlated to success during the season. He's a great example for our young guys to have."

And - gasp! - Cotchery is even looking forward to Eric Mangini's training camp, one that quickly gained a reputation as exhausting.

"I think we were caught off guard with a tough situation," he said of the culture shock last August. "No one could have expected how tough it was going to be. But now we know, and you can get your mind right."

BY TOM ROCK

tom.rock@newsday.com

April 26, 2007

Most Jets agree that the theme of this offseason is consistency. After a streak of coaching changes, personnel shifts and injury questions, almost the entire cast is back to reprise their roles. "It feels like this is just a continuation of what we had going last season," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said.

Strange, because Cotchery is one of the few players to have undergone tremendous change in the past 12 months.

A year ago, Cotchery was an underused, virtually unknown commodity preparing for his third NFL season sitting behind two steady, well-paid veterans. This time around, though, he's an established player coming off a season in which he caught 82 passes for 961 yards and earned a five-year, $19-million contract extension a year before he was eligible to become a free agent.

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum touted that long-term commitment as one of the keys to this offseason and pointed to Cotchery as an example of "guys taking advantage of great opportunities."

Being at the head of the race for playing time is a lot different than chasing. But although the incentive and motivation may be different, Cotchery also said the continuity from a remarkable 2006 campaign makes this prep work easier.

"I'm a lot more comfortable," he said. "Other offseasons I was trying to catch the eye of a coach, trying to get established. This year a lot of things are still in place and I can build off of what I started."

So can the Jets. Cotchery's emergence made receiver Justin McCareins and the remaining four years of his seven-year, $31-million deal expendable, and trading McCareins at the draft this weekend is a possible move. That might allow the Jets to jump ahead and pick the first-round player of their choice rather than wait and see who's available with the 25th pick, or add quantity to the six picks they hold.

There's no question why Cotchery would be looking for a repeat performance in 2007; 2006 was so good to him. But he's also looking to repeat an honor that put him on the path toward all he achieved: offseason MVP. He's already won one of the weekly awards the Jets dangle as incentives for their players and is quickly carving a reputation as a ferocious, non-stop worker among his teammates and, surprisingly for such a quiet man, a leader.

"His work ethic did come to the forefront in the offseason," quarterback Chad Pennington said recently. "Our young people saw how hard he worked and then they were able to see how it correlated to success during the season. He's a great example for our young guys to have."

And - gasp! - Cotchery is even looking forward to Eric Mangini's training camp, one that quickly gained a reputation as exhausting.

"I think we were caught off guard with a tough situation," he said of the culture shock last August. "No one could have expected how tough it was going to be. But now we know, and you can get your mind right."

Gotta love guys who are gonna put their time in to become a better player. I know its stating the obvious but this kid is going to be the real deal, and I don't think he'll crack 1,000 yards this season...but expect him having another solid 85 rec 800-900 yards with 7 tds to compliment coles nicely

Gotta love guys who are gonna put their time in to become a better player. I know its stating the obvious but this kid is going to be the real deal, and I don't think he'll crack 1,000 yards this season...but expect him having another solid 85 rec 800-900 yards with 7 tds to compliment coles nicely

I think he will have more yards and TD's than Coles this year... he is a bigger target who breaks more tackles and gets open well over the middle... not to mention Coles will be drawing the extra defender away from him.

We'll see how he compares to Coles. I was REALLY happy with the quality of play from Cotchery last season. He was a very reliable receiver who played smart and has good physical ability.

If we didn't have him, we'd be in need of a receiver this weekend, with him, we're looking to dump a receiver. Awesome.

Archived