Kodachrome.....

SoFlaJets

There's this couple who are friends of ours that come out to see me play pretty much every Saturday Night,and were there THIS Saturday sitting with my wife.So Anthony's wife April is a real ball buster and always looks at her watch and asks "you're taking ANOTHER break?" They're from Brooklyn-whaddaya want?

Anyway April informed my wife that I have to learn Paul Simon's Kodachrome-so I start working on it yesterday and Google up the (always wrong) chords.One idiot has these lyrics; "I got a nice contender I love to take a photograph"-it's supposed to be "I got a Nikon camera" who ARE these people that are allowed to put these chords and wrong lyrics online-they should all be made to stop playing guitar and surrender their picks to the proper authorities.

Everyone knows Margaritaville from Buffet, right? Well, it wasn't until recently that I found out the correct lyrics to the chorus are, ...searching for my lost shaker of salt," and NOT "...searching for my lost sugar and salt."

they should all be made to stop playing guitar and surrender their picks to the proper authorities.

Lotsa people in that category including yours truly most of the time.

Had a memorable event early in my band days. After a gig, this girl took the trouble to go out of her way, find me and tell me how much I sucked.

From that moment on, I knew I had something special.

:cheers:

Lotsa people in that category including yours truly most of the time.

Had a memorable event early in my band days. After a gig, this girl took the trouble to go out of her way, find me and tell me how much I sucked.

From that moment on, I knew I had something special.

hopefully she was a giants fan.

I had a guy run me down after i Umpired a game and told me and my other ump. "i have watched a lot of games, and you guys are by far the worst umpires i have ever seen."

i did blow two calls that game, but come on...the worst?

hopefully she was a giants fan.

I had a guy run me down after i Umpired a game and told me and my other ump. "i have watched a lot of games, and you guys are by far the worst umpires i have ever seen."

i did blow two calls that game, but come on...the worst?

Ron the owner of the bar I play was laughing the other night telling me how he got a comment card that checked off food-bad,service-bad and band-bad...he told me he knew it had to be someone from another establishment who had a bug up their ass because even though it was possible for the 1st 2 things to be true the dead give-away was when they said I was bad

Ron the owner of the bar I play was laughing the other night telling me how he got a comment card that checked off food-bad,service-bad and band-bad...he told me he knew it had to be someone from another establishment who had a bug up their ass because even though it was possible for the 1st 2 things to be true the dead give-away was when they said I was bad

This is sort of off topic...

Do you know any cool songs for an intermediate guitar player to learn? I like stuff that has some different chords (standard E tuning). IDK, i keep coming back to the same beatle songs, elliott smith songs, i have a hard time breaking out into some smaller bands, or things that are just fun to play.

I have a capo, and like messing around with that too...fyi. Let me know if you know of anything.

Do you know any cool songs for an intermediate guitar player to learn? I like stuff that has some different chords (standard E tuning). IDK, i keep coming back to the same beatle songs, elliott smith songs, i have a hard time breaking out into some smaller bands, or things that are just fun to play.

I have a capo, and like messing around with that too...fyi. Let me know if you know of anything.

Standard tuning or open E tuning? If it's open E there are some really great slide songs you can play. Without the slide a couple off the top of my head are Little Martha by the Allmans and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp by Zeppelin. They're both in open E, So is She Talks to Angels by the Black Crowes (maybe open D, but it's the same tuning just a whole step down on each string).

Go to powertabs.net.

No real musical education required to read tab.

Go to the Browse Artists link on the left and surf away. Tons O stuff.

Come up for air once in a while.

cheers,

d

Everyone knows Margaritaville from Buffet, right? Well, it wasn't until recently that I found out the correct lyrics to the chorus are, ...searching for my lost shaker of salt," and NOT "...searching for my lost sugar and salt."

Dude, I think most people knew that. Just kidding!!

Actually... there's the line: "Blew out my flipflop, stepped on a popped top" - it always sounded like Pop Tart. Now obviously I knew it was wrong, but when you're singing a song and don't know the words you just fill it in with whatever you can! ha ha

I could go for a frozen concoction now... it's only 7am.

:vactiontime:

I know tons o0f people who thought The Grateful dead sang "plays my chicken" instead of "pays my ticket" in Sugar Magnolia. Funny thing is there was a show in the early 80's where Bob Weir actually did sing "plays my chicken" as a joke.

md-I'm telling you if I could give any guys advice on songs to learn AS they're learning-especially on acoustic it would be this;buy Neil Young's gretest hits-it's a 2 book series-you can actually learn to play guitar from his books-songs like Needle And The Damage Done,Old Man,Down By The River...there's so many

I know tons o0f people who thought The Grateful dead sang "plays my chicken" instead of "pays my ticket" in Sugar Magnolia. Funny thing is there was a show in the early 80's where Bob Weir actually did sing "plays my chicken" as a joke.

I had a John Prine tape where he was talking on stage about a girl coming up and asking him to play the song about the happy enchilada....

"that's the way that the world goes round

you're up one day the next you're

it's a half an inch of water,you think you're gonna drown

That's the Way That the World Goes 'Round"

she thought it was "it's a happy enchilada you think you're gonna drown"

md-I'm telling you if I could give any guys advice on songs to learn AS they're learning-especially on acoustic it would be this;buy Neil Young's gretest hits-it's a 2 book series-you can actually learn to play guitar from his books-songs like Needle And The Damage Done,Old Man,Down By The River...there's so many

I could definatly try Neil Young, i haven't listened to him since i was a kid. even that was in quick sperts while my dad was changing between abbey road and srgt pepper's. Thanks for the input.

Boozer, sad to say i don't recognize that LZ song, i'm sure if i heard it, i would recognize it. i can play a few songs by them ("a few" not that i don't like them, only that jimmy paige is....well yeah, he's jimmy paige).

If only i could leave work early to do this...hmm

I could definatly try Neil Young, i haven't listened to him since i was a kid. even that was in quick sperts while my dad was changing between abbey road and srgt pepper's. Thanks for the input.

Boozer, sad to say i don't recognize that LZ song, i'm sure if i heard it, i would recognize it. i can play a few songs by them ("a few" not that i don't like them, only that jimmy paige is....well yeah, he's jimmy paige).

If only i could leave work early to do this...hmm

You'll know it when you hear it, be warned it is not an easy song, just very rewarding once you do. Alof of good stuff in it for excercise/learning.

I just wanted to be sure you meant open E tuning when you mentioned standard E tuning. I have heard people refer to standard regular guitar tuning as standard E Simply because the 6th and 1st strings are E. If you are referring to standard tuning the songs I mentioned won't work.

If it is standard tuning, here's a couple that I started out learning:

Led Zep-tangerine. Easy song with a good excercise on walking down a chord (C down to Am).

Pink Floyd-Wish you were here and Mother. Both fairly easy to get early on.

Blues Traveler-Runaround. Extremely easy song, simply G-C-Am-D and around again. It's a good song to learn rhythm timing. Also, try changing from strumming full chords to just a couple strings of each chord. It teaches alot of discipline in that regard and can change to overall tonality of the song.

Alice In Chains-Unplugged. All the songs are surprisingly easy to play and sound great acoustically.

Most importantly, focus and continue to work on timing and rhythm. It is by far the most important aspect to guitar playing and music in general. I know so many people that can shred at lightning fast speeds that sound like absolute garbage because they have zero concept of rhythm, timing, and feel. Someone who can't play fasrt but has superb timing will sound infinately better than the guy with lightning fingers and no feel. Speed comes through time and effort. Nothing you do will make it show up tomorrow. It is a lifelong process that builds slowly through time and practice.

Everyone always sings Bingo Jeb had a light on, instead of Big old jet airliner.

Wrapped up like a douche in the runner in the night is another good one.

SoFla, you'd better sing Mama don't take my chromosomes away.

You'll know it when you hear it, be warned it is not an easy song, just very rewarding once you do. Alof of good stuff in it for excercise/learning.

I just wanted to be sure you meant open E tuning when you mentioned standard E tuning. I have heard people refer to standard regular guitar tuning as standard E Simply because the 6th and 1st strings are E. If you are referring to standard tuning the songs I mentioned won't work.

If it is standard tuning, here's a couple that I started out learning:

Led Zep-tangerine. Easy song with a good excercise on walking down a chord (C down to Am).

Pink Floyd-Wish you were here and Mother. Both fairly easy to get early on.

Blues Traveler-Runaround. Extremely easy song, simply G-C-Am-D and around again. It's a good song to learn rhythm timing. Also, try changing from strumming full chords to just a couple strings of each chord. It teaches alot of discipline in that regard and can change to overall tonality of the song.

Alice In Chains-Unplugged. All the songs are surprisingly easy to play and sound great acoustically.

Most importantly, focus and continue to work on timing and rhythm. It is by far the most important aspect to guitar playing and music in general. I know so many people that can shred at lightning fast speeds that sound like absolute garbage because they have zero concept of rhythm, timing, and feel. Someone who can't play fasrt but has superb timing will sound infinately better than the guy with lightning fingers and no feel. Speed comes through time and effort. Nothing you do will make it show up tomorrow. It is a lifelong process that builds slowly through time and practice.

Thanks a lot for the advice. When i was talking about tuning, i stick with the regular EADGBe. i don't like fitiling with tunings i guess.

i know most of Tangerine, i learned that for the lady friend last summer, but since i don't sing or anything, it sort of takes away from the song.

I think i remember you saying you are a guitar instructor too. If that is the case, you should have a student learn 'mother nature's son'...its easy, and was maybe the most rewarding song i ever learned (at that time), it sounds so sharp.

good call on the speed thing too. i find myself trying to pick up my pace when playing, but i end up F'ing it up. If i slow down, and/or just skip a measure during a song it tends to sound better than forcing it.

I've been learning Penatonics lately, i really like some of them, if forgot the names, but my favorite is using

G 5 7 8

D 5 7

A 5 6 7

E 5 7

its sort of a blues penatonic, so the book says, but it sounds better than the ones i had been using.

Everyone always sings Bingo Jeb had a light on, instead of Big old jet airliner.

Wrapped up like a douche in the runner in the night is another good one.

SoFla, you'd better sing Mama don't take my chromosomes away.

you know what IS a tongue twister in that song T-99-at the end when he sings "Mama don't take my Kodachrome,leave those thoughts so far from home mama don't take my Kodachrome away...." try singing that one 3 times fast

you know what IS a tongue twister in that song T-99-at the end when he sings "Mama don't take my Kodachrome,leave those thoughts so far from home mama don't take my Kodachrome away...." try singing that one 3 times fast

That's one of my favorite songs. if i'm ever in your neck of the woods, i'm requesting it...you better not mess it up sir.

Thanks a lot for the advice. When i was talking about tuning, i stick with the regular EADGBe. i don't like fitiling with tunings i guess.

i know most of Tangerine, i learned that for the lady friend last summer, but since i don't sing or anything, it sort of takes away from the song.

I think i remember you saying you are a guitar instructor too. If that is the case, you should have a student learn 'mother nature's son'...its easy, and was maybe the most rewarding song i ever learned (at that time), it sounds so sharp.

good call on the speed thing too. i find myself trying to pick up my pace when playing, but i end up F'ing it up. If i slow down, and/or just skip a measure during a song it tends to sound better than forcing it.

I've been learning Penatonics lately, i really like some of them, if forgot the names, but my favorite is using

G 5 7 8

D 5 7

A 5 6 7

E 5 7

its sort of a blues penatonic, so the book says, but it sounds better than the ones i had been using.

alternate tuning is a pain in the ass-last weekend I finally tuned my 12 string down a half a step (Eb G# C# F# Bb Eb) so I was able to sing New Kid In Town without embarassing myself again-also I did Sweet Child Of Mine and a couple others-but yea unless you've got a bunch of guitars up there to use at your discretion open tuning ain't worth it-sounds great but again,a PITA

oh yea I alsao had my other 6 string Takemine with me tuned to A-440

Standard tuning or open E tuning? If it's open E there are some really great slide songs you can play. Without the slide a couple off the top of my head are Little Martha by the Allmans and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp by Zeppelin. They're both in open E, So is She Talks to Angels by the Black Crowes (maybe open D, but it's the same tuning just a whole step down on each string).

As well as playing songs, open tunings can be fun when you're bored, hit a brick wall with your playing or have writer's block. Some interesting ideas can surface.

Side note - I remember trying Nashville Tuning when trying to play Alice In Chains "I Stay Away" properly. Nashville Tuning involves a special stringing of the guitar. Tried but never quite got Jerry Cantrell's feel on the song.

keep on pickin'

alternate tuning is a pain in the ass-last weekend I finally tuned my 12 string down a half a step (Eb G# C# F# Bb Eb) so I was able to sing New Kid In Town without embarassing myself again-also I did Sweet Child Of Mine and a couple others-but yea unless you've got a bunch of guitars up there to use at your discretion open tuning ain't worth it-sounds great but again,a PITA

oh yea I alsao had my other 6 string Takemine with me tuned to A-440

Open tuning is why you never get rid of your old guitars, just use them for open tunings all the time. I tend to keep one in open G and one in open D

Open tuning is why you never get rid of your old guitars, just use them for open tunings all the time. I tend to keep one in open G and one in open D

I guess i don't see the point of open tunings, i don't know what chords go with them. i don't have a tuner that picks out individual notes, just the basic 6 notes. is there an easy way for me to tune it your way?

I guess i don't see the point of open tunings, i don't know what chords go with them. i don't have a tuner that picks out individual notes, just the basic 6 notes. is there an easy way for me to tune it your way?

Open tunings are basically where you tune the strings so when you strum them without fretting it will be that chord. For example open D tuning, when strummed without fretting, will produce a D chord rather than the gurbly mess a standard tuned guitar will sound like without fretting. Because of this style of tuning you can get some pretty cool chord voicings that might otherwise not be possible or at the least very difficult in standard tunings.

In tyhe case of slide guitar, it makes it much easier because each chord is simple a 1 finger (or slide in this case) bar. For example, in open D tunint just fret all 6 strings with one finger at the 1st fret and you have D#, 2nd fret is E, 3rd is F, 4th is F#, 5th is G, and so on. So with a slid you could simply play D, G, A by playing open strings, 5th fret, and 7th fret with the slide. Of course you thro nice little tasty fill ins in between but you get my point. For a better visualization, try playing an open C chord in standard tuning with just a slide. Ain't gonna work.

For tunings there are tons of books, to actually tune the guitar you will need a chromatic tuner.

Mdrago - I've been playing since January. A few songs that I've learned Over the Hills and Far Away (well most of it, solo aside). CCR is pretty easy, like Bad Moon Rising and I Heard it through the Grapevine. Also George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" is a great song and not to hard.

Archived