The List: Top 5 breakout players in '07 - ESPN.com

The List: Top 5 breakout players

By Joe Theismann

ESPN.com

Archive

In the NFL, rarely is star status achieved right away. Even the most talented players need time to hone their skills and learn the nuances of the pro game. Here are five players who are poised for big seasons in 2007.

Randy Moss, WR, New England Patriots: It might be odd to some that Moss is on this list because he's an established star in this league, but I really believe the expectations aren't high enough for him in New England. He's going to have a big year for the Patriots and might get his first Super Bowl ring with Tom Brady throwing to him. Expect huge numbers.

Kellen Winslow Jr., TE, Cleveland Browns: When Winslow was selected by the Browns he was brought in to elevate their offense. He has the ability to make the tough catch over the middle and also to stretch the field and take it to the third level. He hasn't fulfilled his potential thanks to injuries that have plagued both Winslow and other members of the offense. This is the season when I really think he's going to insert himself into the conversation as one of the best tight ends in the game.

Cedric Benson, RB, Chicago Bears: The ball is literally going to be in Benson's hands this season as Thomas Jones is now a Jet. Benson has shown the ability to lead this team in spurts, but now he's going to have to have to prove why he was such a high draft pick. The Bears will make it a point to get him the ball at least 20 times a game because of their shaky quarterback situation.

Jason Campbell, QB, Washington Redskins: Campbell has all the natural ability in the world, but it's his intelligence that makes him so dangerous. He understands what he's doing when he's on the field and you very rarely see the panic that shows up in young quarterbacks when the chips are down. I expect Campbell to put it together this year and make the Redskins a playoff contender.

Tony Romo, QB, Dallas Cowboys: His play tapered off at the end of the season, but he has a year under his belt and won't see anything new this season. Also, he should do a very good job of further establishing himself as the leader of this offense.

I'll die from laughter if Moss doesn't even make the team.

That is possible.

Like with Jonathan Sullivan last year, he will have a short leash. Sullivan failed his conditioning run after his little pot arrest and was gone before TC was over.

If Moss shows up for TC and fails the run, which is mandatory to get into camp and hard as hell, I would bet he probably does not see Game 1.

If he does, the Patriots barring injuries, should have a pretty dynamic offense. If Moss is focused he needs a double team. If you don't, he is a mismatch for just about every CB. Plus, the athletic Watson and Stallworth. Welker will be the biggest beneficiary of Moss.

That is possible.

Like with Jonathan Sullivan last year, he will have a short leash. Sullivan failed his conditioning run after his little pot arrest and was gone before TC was over.

If Moss shows up for TC and fails the run, which is mandatory to get into camp and hard as hell, I would bet he probably does not see Game 1.

If he does, the Patriots barring injuries, should have a pretty dynamic offense. If Moss is focused he needs a double team. If you don't, he is a mismatch for just about every CB. Plus, the athletic Watson and Stallworth. Welker will be the biggest beneficiary of Moss.

Champ Bailey will shut Moss down, and the Broncos will once again knock the Pats off.

That is possible.

I don't see the pats changing their venue of spreading the ball around just to suit moss. Hsan't he been in the league way too long to be considered a guy to have a breakout year?

yes the pats coould be very dangerous offensively but I fully expect moss to be decent, not the superster he was in minny

I don't see the pats changing their venue of spreading the ball around just to suit moss. Hsan't he been in the league way too long to be considered a guy to have a breakout year?

yes the pats coould be very dangerous offensively but I fully expect moss to be decent, not the superster he was in minny

As I said above, I do not think he will be among the league leaders in receptions, but if the Patriots play to his strengths. I could see him being among the league leaders in yards per catch and TDs. He is a big target in the endzone and I could see him being used there as a target and decoy. Plus, they will give him enough Go routes to pile up yards.

Champ Bailey will shut Moss down, and the Broncos will once again knock the Pats off.

Really?

They played four times when Randy was in Oakland. In Moss last game he had one catch for 8 yards. I do not know anything about the game, but let's just say Champ did shut him down. In the previous three games, Randy averaged 5 catches (16 total catches) - 81.7 yards (245 yards) and had one TD. Even if Moss is shutdown, he will command attention. That will leave Stallworth, Welker and Watson with favorable match-ups. The Patriots have never had a receiver that commanded additional attention. If we get the good Randy, this offense is going to be tough.

Really?

They played four times when Randy was in Oakland. In Moss last game he had one catch for 8 yards. I do not know anything about the game, but let's just say Champ did shut him down. In the previous three games, Randy averaged 5 catches (16 total catches) - 81.7 yards (245 yards) and had one TD. Even if Moss is shutdown, he will command attention. That will leave Stallworth, Welker and Watson with favorable match-ups. The Patriots have never had a receiver that commanded additional attention. If we get the good Randy, this offense is going to be tough.

Tell me what usually happens when the Broncos play the Pats? Champ owns Brady, doesn't matter what Moss does, that ball is getting picked off in the endzone and being returned for a TD.

I think that Jason Campbell should be added to that list (Washington Redskins QB).

He's finally gonna be the undoubted starter and is gonna get 90% of the snaps with first team in practice/training camp, and if he can get some chemistry with Santana Moss, with his rocket arm, it's all over for the entire NFC EAST, he also has some decent blocking in front of him, and some RB named Clinton Portis [sarcasm] in the backfield. If Washington's D gets back into 05-06 form, then they are gonna be the team to beat.

Tell me what usually happens when the Broncos play the Pats? Champ owns Brady, doesn't matter what Moss does, that ball is getting picked off in the endzone and being returned for a TD.

Funny, how the past only matters to Jets' fans when it makes their argument. Say, "The Patriots will beat the Jets because they have seven straight times. " and your reply is, "That does not mean $hit." :rolleyes:

Denver has owned New England since Smellway was QB. 16-3 record since 1984. :Nuts:

Why will it be different now? Who have the Patriots had in the past that is a physical equal to Champ? No one. Champ is in the top 1 of NFL CBs. He is arguably one of the best of this ERA. Now, the Patriots have a receiver, that is arguably one of the most talented and physical of this ERA. As I showed, he has had some success against Champ.

Champ usually locks up on the best receiver and is one on one all game. Well, Moss was the best the Rai-duhs had and in those first three games averaged 5 catches for over 80 yards.

So? Moss is effective against Champ. Champ will have to play Moss and account for him on every play or it is 6. Deoin and Troy did not dictate anything to make the D adapt. Moss does. Even the great Champ will need help over top with Moss on ocassion. Which will open up the middle for Welker and Watson. Or you get Stallworth one on one on the other side with 5' 9" Dre Bly.

Look at the Patriots offense and personnel. It could be similar to what the Colts do. If they attack a D the same way, they will be tough to stop. We have two tall fast receivers, a possession receiver, an athletic TE and a very athletic big RB that can catch the ball also. Take out Moss and Stallworth, you have Welker, Maroney and Watson to deal with.

Champ has to be accounted for on every play. He is great. I wish he was a Patriot. However, for the first time since he has been inDenver, the Patriots are entering the fight with a gun instead of a knife.

Funny, how the past only matters to Jets' fans when it makes their argument. Say, "The Patriots will beat the Jets because they have seven straight times. " and your reply is, "That does not mean $hit." :rolleyes:

Denver has owned New England since Smellway was QB. 16-3 record since 1984. :Nuts:

Why will it be different now? Who have the Patriots had in the past that is a physical equal to Champ? No one. Champ is in the top 1 of NFL CBs. He is arguably one of the best of this ERA. Now, the Patriots have a receiver, that is arguably one of the most talented and physical of this ERA. As I showed, he has had some success against Champ.

Champ usually locks up on the best receiver and is one on one all game. Well, Moss was the best the Rai-duhs had and in those first three games averaged 5 catches for over 80 yards.

So? Moss is effective against Champ. Champ will have to play Moss and account for him on every play or it is 6. Deoin and Troy did not dictate anything to make the D adapt. Moss does. Even the great Champ will need help over top with Moss on ocassion. Which will open up the middle for Welker and Watson. Or you get Stallworth one on one on the other side with 5' 9" Dre Bly.

Look at the Patriots offense and personnel. It could be similar to what the Colts do. If they attack a D the same way, they will be tough to stop. We have two tall fast receivers, a possession receiver, an athletic TE and a very athletic big RB that can catch the ball also. Take out Moss and Stallworth, you have Welker, Maroney and Watson to deal with.

Champ has to be accounted for on every play. He is great. I wish he was a Patriot. However, for the first time since he has been inDenver, the Patriots are entering the fight with a gun instead of a knife.

Stallworth is an injury prone sissy. Way too much hype about that signing. This is his 3rd team in the last year for a reason - he's been a waste of a 1st rd talent since he's been in the league.

Ok, so why did you bring up Moss' past then, if prior history means nothing? Way to shoot yourself in the foot smart guy. I didn't read the rest of the drivel because you wrote too much, and you already contradicted yourself anyway.

My list

1. DJ Hackett

2. Vernon Davis

3. Matt Schaub

4. Jerious Norwood

5. Brandon Jones

My assesment of your post..

1) DJ Hackett was pretty good last year for (i think) seattle, and he along with Deion Branch can be a true deep ball threat. (so, Good choice)

2) Vernon Davis's forty sky rocketed him up draft boards and ultimately had him taken #6, so he obviously needs to prove he isn't the ahmad carrol of TE prospects, this is a make or break year for him, and with Alex Smith at QB I think he can do some damage (good pick)

3) Matt Schaub IMO is a little overrated and overvalued (2nd rounder???) and he definetly has something to prove in Houston, if he can't play to even the level of (Vince Young) some other starting QBs he and the Texans are going to look extremely retarded. But with Andre Johnson and Eric Moulds and Ahman Green in the backfield he should be able to do some good, but with their swiss cheese O-line, I don't think he will. (bad choice)

4) Jerious Norwood was a guy I personally wanted over L-Wash, but that didn't happen and both players had productive rookie seasons, and with him and Warrick Dunn splitting carries he should be a pretty decent RB this year, but to say he will have a breakout year might be somewhat of a reach, considering that a breakout season for a RB is 1,000 yards. (bad choice)

5) Brandon Jones is a damn good receiver in that sluggish Titans WR core, with the loss of Drew Bennett to the Rams and no big WR signings to my knowledge he needs to be a #1 target and I think he can be. He needs to prove that he won't be the next Tyrone Calico, and he will, (good choice)

I really like DJ Hackett but he's going to have to prove that he can be a Top 3 receiver in Seattle. Will he start alongside Branch? Should be interesting to see.

He should start along with Branch because Jackson (Darrell) can't catch car keys when he has a magnet on his hands.

My assesment of your post..

1) DJ Hackett was pretty good last year for (i think) seattle, and he along with Deion Branch can be a true deep ball threat. (so, Good choice)

2) Vernon Davis's forty sky rocketed him up draft boards and ultimately had him taken #6, so he obviously needs to prove he isn't the ahmad carrol of TE prospects, this is a make or break year for him, and with Alex Smith at QB I think he can do some damage (good pick)

3) Matt Schaub IMO is a little overrated and overvalued (2nd rounder???) and he definetly has something to prove in Houston, if he can't play to even the level of (Vince Young) some other starting QBs he and the Texans are going to look extremely retarded. But with Andre Johnson and Eric Moulds and Ahman Green in the backfield he should be able to do some good, but with their swiss cheese O-line, I don't think he will. (bad choice)

4) Jerious Norwood was a guy I personally wanted over L-Wash, but that didn't happen and both players had productive rookie seasons, and with him and Warrick Dunn splitting carries he should be a pretty decent RB this year, but to say he will have a breakout year might be somewhat of a reach, considering that a breakout season for a RB is 1,000 yards. (bad choice)

5) Brandon Jones is a damn good receiver in that sluggish Titans WR core, with the loss of Drew Bennett to the Rams and no big WR signings to my knowledge he needs to be a #1 target and I think he can be. He needs to prove that he won't be the next Tyrone Calico, and he will, (good choice)

3)Matt Schaub... He really needs to be better than Carr, and I think he will. Hes had a small sample size as far as actual game time goes, but he looked fantastic against NE a couple of years ago and less than average in his other appearances. I think Kubiak is a solid coach and offensive mind who will get more out of Schaub than he ever did Carr. Ahman Green provides an instant upgrade in the running game, and AJ is one of the best recievers in the NFL. Owen Daniels gives him a respectable outlet as a young TE with upside. FYI, Moulds doesnt play there anymore and there will be competition coming from rookie Jacoby Jones and Kevin Walter to fill that void opposite AJ. Also I think part of the OL trouble in Houston has been directly related to Carr although I will concede that departmant needs improving.

4)Jerious Norwood .....from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution......

Now, though, there is a new system based on a power-running scheme. Jerious Norwood is bigger (210 pounds) and more seasoned to the NFL game after a standout rookie season (633 yards, 6.4 yards per carry). He's also a very good receiver, something mandatory in coach Bobby Petrino's system. Norwood, thicker through the shoulders and chest, took most of the repetitions at mini-camp and dazzled coaches with his speed and hands.

"The great thing about Jerious is every time he touches it, he can go the distance," Petrino said. "Hopefully I won't have to call so many plays because he can make big plays. A lot of games are won with turnovers and big plays. He's a very good receiver. He can run routes just like receivers, so that's an exciting part of it."

For Norwood, learning Petrino's offense has been a radical change, especially pass protection, but he made strides during mini-camp, Petrino said.

....Also it should be noted that Atlanta has a bruising fullback I believe they plan to use regularly to pave the way for Norwood. Its my opinion that this is the year Dunn is phazed out in Atlanta. Also they drafted Justin Blalock who is a mauling type guard who should help Norwood "breakout". The fact that Petrino expressed interest in going to a power running game and the fact they came out of the draft with nobody(most surprising was Petrino passing on former player at Louisville Michael Bush) tells me hes ok going with what he has in Norwood. No way Dunn sees anymore than a 3rd down role for the falcons considering Petrino seems to be compromising enough with Norwood as a power runner.

Im glad we agree on the other three guys:)

I think he can start over Nate Burlesuck.

Hes been taking reps with the first team, and I fully expect him to be starting opposite Branch. Branch will be moving to the flanker spot vacated by Jackson, but in terms of TD production I believe Hackett will be Hasselbecks RZ target and have a bigger impact in that capacity

Hes been taking reps with the first team, and I fully expect him to be starting opposite Branch. Branch will be moving to the flanker spot vacated by Jackson, but in terms of TD production I believe Hackett will be Hasselbecks RZ target and have a bigger impact in that capacity

I think that Branch, and Hackett can be the best TD threat combo in the NFL.

Keep in mind I said TD THREAT, Anquan and Larry, Torry and Bruce, Reggie and Harrison, etc. Those tandems are deep ball threats, but nevertheless they don't get to many 20-99 yard touchdown receptions, I think Hackett and Branch will get at least 15-20 combined.

I think that Branch, and Hackett can be the best TD threat combo in the NFL.

Keep in mind I said TD THREAT, Anquan and Larry, Torry and Bruce, Reggie and Harrison, etc. Those tandems are deep ball threats, but nevertheless they don't get to many 20-99 yard touchdown receptions, I think Hackett and Branch will get at least 15-20 combined.

:rl:

Hackett is going to have to get about 10-15 of those.

Archived