The Jets front office has yet 2 lock up K.Rhodes into a long term contract...

Why?

I have loved everything the FO has done since the arrival of Mangini... Drafting of Brick, Mangold, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, giving J.Cotchery playing time and also signing him long term, running the 3-4, going and getting a solid #1 RB for the next 3-4 years in T.Jones, and the way Mangini is dealing with this Pete Kendall situation are all positives.

I know Rome was not built in a day... But if the Jets Front Office does not keep K.Rhodes on this Jets team for quiet some time (who is the next E.Reed of the NFL) Im going to start to question them. I mean we need to sign K.Rhodes before he has another monster year and actually wants to test the FA market.

Why did we sign Cotch and not Rhodes? We need Rhodes in this secondary for years to come.

He is signed through 08'... they dont need to sign him unitl next year... not to mention they are only paying him like 400k this season...

Yea I know he is getting paid close to nothing next season (In terms of the NFL) but now is not the time to pinch ah penny, nickel and dime, and be greedy when you have a super-star type player in the secondary. We need to sign him by the end of this up coming season. I just hope we do it.

He is signed through 08'... they dont need to sign him unitl next year... not to mention they are only paying him like 400k this season...

Really? I thought this was the final year of his contract. If what you say is true the Jets will see how he does this coming season before offering him a long term contract.

If he has another great season, he's going to want more money, it's better if we sign him now then next off-season.

If he has another great season, he's going to want more money, it's better if we sign him now then next off-season.

I think you are worrying about nothing. If he has another great season, we'll worry about it then. If he comes back to earth, then it's good that we waited another year. When you sign players to huge contracts after just one season, you get Chad Pennington.

I think you are worrying about nothing. If he has another great season, we'll worry about it then. If he comes back to earth, then it's good that we waited another year. When you sign players to huge contracts after just one season, you get Chad Pennington.

Exactly... You get a winner. Someone who helps lead the team to the playoffs year after year when healthy. Was it Chad fault he has been playing under Herman Edwards? I guess we would rather play J.Fiedler, Vinny, Brooks or even Kliff... Because as we all know, they are all winners.

Cotch had a break-out season last season... Who was throwing him the ball?

Coles had another 1,000 yard season... Who was throwing him the ball?

The Jets Offensive line had 2 rookies in Mangold and Brick... And who was the QB behind the 2 rookies?

Oh yea.. Who was the QB who led the Jets to the playoffs under a new system, a new OC and a new coach? Put Pennington on the Ravens and watch what happens.

Why?

I have loved everything the FO has done since the arrival of Mangini... Drafting of Brick, Mangold, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, giving J.Cotchery playing time and also signing him long term, running the 3-4, going and getting a solid #1 RB for the next 3-4 years in T.Jones, and the way Mangini is dealing with this Pete Kendall situation are all positives.

I know Rome was not built in a day... But if the Jets Front Office does not keep K.Rhodes on this Jets team for quiet some time (who is the next E.Reed of the NFL) Im going to start to question them. I mean we need to sign K.Rhodes before he has another monster year and actually wants to test the FA market.

Why did we sign Cotch and not Rhodes? We need Rhodes in this secondary for years to come.

pEzuC5UoM8g

Like Defense said, the season Rhodes had was not a fluke. We need to sign this guy now.

Yea I know he is getting paid close to nothing next season (In terms of the NFL) but now is not the time to pinch ah penny, nickel and dime, and be greedy when you have a super-star type player in the secondary. We need to sign him by the end of this up coming season. I just hope we do it.

I coudln't agree with you more. under paying a star is never a good thing, what if Revis turns has a bad season, and rhodes' has an amazing year? I don't know what revis is making, but you can bet its more than 400k. Its never a good thing to breed resentment, espcially in the same backfield.

Sign Rhodes, we need him, he's an absolute stud.

Like Defense said, the season Rhodes had was not a fluke. We need to sign this guy now.

If it's not a fluke, he's going to want to be paid as a top player regardless of if you sign him this year or next year. You only really lock up players that will get better but not too much better in the future that have definite values. Like for I believe one of our LBs, can't remember offhand who.

Now if Rhodes wants a huge contract, then he either won't sign a mediocre offer or will hold out after his value increases after another great year. If Rhodes doesn't care about the money, then he will sign with us for a reasonable contract after next year anyway. If he does, no matter what, we're going to be paying so it doesn't matter whether it's this year or next, but the advantage with next is if he gets a freak injury or falls off in production, we aren't stuck with an albatross. Despire Defense's Chad valuation, that was a terrible contract (hence the whole thing last offseason, and the salary cap problems in previous years).

I see a lot of threads throughout the year stating "we need to sign X" "We need to sign Y" but the FO has handled everything very well, so why do you think your judgment is so superior to theirs? If it was, you'd probably be running the team, not them. Don't worry about Rhodes, the FO will take care of it when it needs to be taken care of, no sooner or later. Wait until after things go wrong before worrying about them. I know we have had cause for worry in the past, but Tangini is a new era.

Exactly.. If he plays like he did last year, and wants more money then he deserves it. He is the playmaker of our defense and I doubt Mangini would let that slip away.

Funny where are the get Vilma signed threads..how quick the fans change.

Crazy isn't it?

Vilma should be a good example to these people on how a good young player can come back down to earth... its best to wait and see what you have if you have the time (and the Jets can wait another year)

Crazy isn't it?

Vilma should be a good example to these people on how a good young player can come back down to earth... its best to wait and see what you have if you have the time (and the Jets can wait another year)

Umm... Vilma was the leader of the D as an IMLB under a new system in the 3-4. Oh yea... Just go ask R.Lewis how it is as a MLB without a true NT on the D-Line. Some people just dont understand football. Vilma is a GREAT LB... Speed, Quickness, Smarts, Power, work ethic... If your a Jets fan and you think we should trade-release Vilma... I think you all should go and watch Baseball or something. Because Vilma is the real deal.

Umm... Vilma was the leader of the D as an IMLB under a new system in the 3-4. Oh yea... Just go ask R.Lewis how it is as a MLB without a true NT on the D-Line. Some people just dont understand football. Vilma is a GREAT LB... Speed, Quickness, Smarts, Power, work ethic... If your a Jets fan and you think we should trade-release Vilma... I think you all should go and watch Baseball or something. Because Vilma is the real deal.

:confused0082:

wtf are you talking about?

Your on a JETS site... dont get so defensive...

Vilma's stock dropped... PERIOD... he is worth less money this year than he was last year... thats called coming down to earth... thats why he is a good example... nowhere did I question him being a great player..

I never said he should be traded... dont pull **** out of your ass and try to start a fight with it...

:confused0082:

wtf are you talking about?

Your on a JETS site... dont get so defensive...

Vilma's stock dropped... PERIOD... he is worth less money this year than he was last year... thats called coming down to earth... thats why he is a good example... nowhere did I question him being a great player..

I never said he should be traded... dont pull **** out of your ass and try to start a fight with it...

Noone is starting a fight, this is not a Pennington thread.

If Vilmas stock droped because he was playing under a new coach, a new system in the 3-4 (Still led the team stat wise with tackles and assists comblined) and playing infront of a D-Line with Kimo and a NT in Robertson... Well then I guess it droped in your eyes. Any coach would still sell the farm to snatch Vilma. If anything his stock is about to BOOM once again this season.

Noone is starting a fight, this is not a Pennington thread.

If Vilmas stock droped because he was playing under a new coach, a new system in the 3-4 (Still led the team stat wise with tackles and assists comblined) and playing infront of a D-Line with Kimo and a NT in Robertson... Well then I guess it droped in your eyes. Any coach would still sell the farm to snatch Vilma. If anything his stock is about to BOOM once again this season.

Why would they sell the farm? Vilma has shown he cannot play as good right away under a new system/coach... wouldnt that be what happens if he went to another team?

You do know that the JETS played in many more formations than just the 3-4 right? Vilma rarely showed signs of being the dominant LB he was even when the JETS werent in the 3-4... he is still a great player who makes great plays... but his stock has dropped... if you cant see that... your watching the wrong games...

Why would they sell the farm? Vilma has shown he cannot play as good right away under a new system/coach... wouldnt that be what happens if he went to another team?

You do know that the JETS played in many more formations than just the 3-4 right? Vilma rarely showed signs of being the dominant LB he was even when the JETS werent in the 3-4... he is still a great player who makes great plays... but his stock has dropped... if you cant see that... your watching the wrong games...

Hmm... Vilma actually did great with the Jets his rookie season, where he was playing under a new coach in Herm since he came from the U, he also was in a new system... Let me guess, he played for the Jets the YEAR BEFORE HIS ROOKIE SEASON... Right?

Also, just go ask R.Lewis how it is playing the 3-4 as the leader of the D with no true NT (Robertson) and by the way, Ray Lewis actually had Suggs on the D Line as the Defensive End... We had Kimo. I guess our D is just shiit, and its not Vilmas fault for the simple fact he LED THE JETS D when it came to takles and assists.

Hmm... Vilma actually did great with the Jets his rookie season, where he was playing under a new coach in Herm since he came from the U, he also was in a new system... Let me guess, he played for the Jets the YEAR BEFORE HIS ROOKIE SEASON... Right?

Also, just go ask R.Lewis how it is playing the 3-4 as the leader of the D with no true NT (Robertson) and by the way, Ray Lewis actually had Suggs on the D Line as the Defensive End... We had Kimo. I guess our D is just shiit, and its not Vilmas fault for the simple fact he LED THE JETS D when it came to takles and assists.

bro you just used the excuse....

If Vilmas stock droped because he was playing under a new coach, a new system in the 3-4

I know he did great his rookie season... never claimed he didnt... if your going to try and argue with me... at least try and make some sense...

bro you just used the excuse....

I know he did great his rookie season... never claimed he didnt... if your going to try and argue with me... at least try and make some sense...

Your the one saying VIlma has problems learning a new system... But at the same time that was not the case his rookie season. Let me guess, he played in the same system and for the same coach in Miami as the System and coach with Herm and the JEts?

Your the one saying VIlma has problems learning a new system... But at the same time that was not the case his rookie season. Let me guess, he played in the same system and for the same coach in Miami as the System and coach with Herm and the JEts?

Same excuse? Ohhh... So playing behind Kimo and Robertson is an excuse? More like a fact buddy.

Please bless me with your all knowing answer to this...

What about Hobson/Barton/Thomas??? Why wasnt their play affected by the ****ty D-line??? Barton played better than Vilma and both OLB's had great years...

Vilma is undersized... thats why he had a hard time... he can learn the system all he wants... but he really needs to bulk up...

I didn't realize the U plays a 3-4; which as you've pointed out in different threads, details a completely different skill-set.

I don't want to misquote you, but you praised another poster for "having some football knowlege" in that he understood the different linebacking responsibilities of a 43 MLB, and a 34 ILB.

Even Vilma said he's unfamiliar with this knew scheme, but that it's all basically hunting down the ball-carrier.

Why are you picking arguments (in your own thread) that are way off topic?

Please bless me with your all knowing answer to this...

What about Hobson/Barton/Thomas??? Why wasnt their play affected by the ****ty D-line??? Barton played better than Vilma and both OLB's had great years...

Vilma is undersized... thats why he had a hard time... he can learn the system all he wants... but he really needs to bulk up...

When you combined flying to the ball, and making plays... Vilma made more plays than any other LB on this team. Go to nfl.com and go to stats... Combine the Tackles and Assists (Helping another player make a tackle) Vilma made more plays. Point blank. Yea he had no sacks, but that was not his duity.

When you combined flying to the ball, and making plays... Vilma made more plays than any other LB on this team. Go to nfl.com and go to stats... Combine the Tackles and Assists (Helping another player make a tackle) Vilma made more plays. Point blank. Yea he had no sacks, but that was not his duity.

Sacks are his job... you really need to learn about the 3-4... thats why Barton had a bunch... in the 3-4 the lineman are not supposed to penetrate but rather occupy a blocker... leaving the LB's to break through and get to the RB/QB.

As for your argument on his assists.... what a joke... most of those were him jumping on the pile...

Sacks are his job... you really need to learn about the 3-4... thats why Barton had a bunch... in the 3-4 the lineman are not supposed to penetrate but rather occupy a blocker... leaving the LB's to break through and get to the RB/QB.

As for your argument on his assists.... what a joke... most of those were him jumping on the pile...

Yea and im sure Robertson who was and will never be a TRUE NT and Kimo was doing one hell of a job in terms of taking up blocks. Exactly. Thank you for proving my point.

Yea and im sure Robertson who was and will never be a TRUE NT and Kimo was doing one hell of a job in terms of taking up blocks. Exactly. Thank you for proving my point.

It didnt stop Barton from doing well... care to explain? How did an old vet beat out this young all pro... couldnt possibly be becuase Vilma is struggling with the 3-4 due to his size... nah thats crazy... :roll:

He could've had a sack in the playoff game but attempted to slap the ball out of Brady's hands instead of tackling him.

That allowed the Pats to score a couple of plays later in a tight 1st half.

D-Rob played really, really well down the stretch last year. Kimo was the problem but he wasn't used as much down the stretch either. We also switched formations as has been mentioned earlier in this thread. I have been one of D-Rob's biggest critics, and I stopped calling him DFat towards the end of last year. A lot of people with good football knowledge, including posters on this site, some newspaper writers (was it Cimini? Can't remember...) and Mangini himself praised D-Rob towards the end of last year. I don't think you can blame him for Vilma not being dominant.

He could've had a sack in the playoff game but attempted to slap the ball out of Brady's hands instead of tackling him.

That allowed the Pats to score a couple of plays later in a tight 1st half.

Thanks for ruining my night... ****head! :lol:

Archived