Fridays Jets news

SoFlaJets

BACKUP RB HOUSTON LEAVES JETS FOR PERSONAL REASONS

By MARK CANNIZZARO

July 27, 2007 -- On a day that Curtis Martin said his official goodbye to the NFL, the Jets also lost running back Cedric Houston, who left the team for undisclosed personal reasons yesterday.

Barring an 11th-hour change, the Jets, too, will begin today

MOVING UP

MARTIN RETIRES, SETS SIGHTS ON OWNERSHIP

By MARK CANNIZZARO

ALL BUSINESS:Curtis Martin, fourth on the all-time NFL rushing list with 14,101 yards, announced not just the retirement from his playing career, but the plan for him to become a part-owner of an NFL team soon.July 27, 2007 -- Those were the first words spoken by Curtis Martin as he sat with a handful of reporters and columnists who

Martin rushes toward new goal

Friday, July 27, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

NEW YORK -- The setting was a conference room on the second floor of the Jets' Manhattan offices. On the surface, it hardly seemed like an appropriate venue for the official ending of Curtis Martin's long and successful NFL career, where his reputation for performance and leadership was built in stadiums and locker rooms, and on practice fields.

But maybe it actually was quite fitting, considering the revelation Martin made Thursday.

"I've always wanted to own an NFL team," Martin told reporters, "and that's been my goal. You have heard me say in the past I didn't come into football loving to play the game. I've learned to appreciate and therefore learn to love to play the game. ... But I have always had my eyes set on ownership."

In fact, the 34-year-old Martin, who is suffering from a degenerative bone-on-bone condition in his right knee, said one of the reasons he delayed announcing his long-awaited retirement until the eve of training camp was because he was hoping to be able to announce that he was part of an NFL ownership group. But that hasn't quite come together yet.

"I thought I'd be able to be very specific" about his future plans, he said, "but unfortunately it did not work out as soon as I thought it would. As soon as things happen, you [reporters] will be the first to know. It's something I'm very excited about and it looks good."

Although he would not get into specifics, that team is not the Jets, according to a report on the team's Web site. However, that doesn't mean Martin hasn't gotten plenty of advice from Jets' owner Woody Johnson.

In fact, Martin said he even talked to New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft about the same thing early in his playing career, before he came to the Jets as a restricted free agent in 1998.

Martin said that goal is one of the reasons he never sought the limelight as a player.

"I never wanted to be out there because that wasn't the manner of an owner," he said, adding, "Most people look at me as a low-profile player but I see myself as a high-profile owner."

When asked about Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick, who has been indicted in connection with a dogfighting ring, Martin said, "It's definitely not something I believe myself or anyone else in the NFL condones. It's not something that we agree with, that we think is right, or is going to be swept under the table. ... But I do believe as someone who has always been an example and has the heart to help people, I believe more than anything right now he needs some support from his colleagues, from the NFL. It's not that we agree with what he did, or condone what he did, or accept what he did, but that does not mean we should disown Michael Vick."

Martin, a five-time Pro Bowler, ends his playing career as the NFL's fourth all-time leading rusher with 14,101 yards. He rushed for at least 1,094 yards in each of his first 10 NFL seasons before a knee injury limited him to 12 games and 735 yards in 2005.

"I don't have any regrets," he said. "I feel like I am leaving this game exactly how I would want to. ... It's not too bad that it's going to impact the rest of my life where I need a wheelchair or cane. From what I understand, had I gone back out there on the field, that might have been the outcome of it."

BRIEF: The Jets said running back Cedric Houston left the team for personal reasons, but an NFL source said Houston could return at some point.

JETS ROSTER

QUARTERBACKS

11 Clemens, Kellen

10 Pennington, Chad

5 Ratliff, Brett

8 Tuiasosopo, Marques

RUNNING BACKS

34 Banks, Alvin

37 Barnes, Darian (FB)

32 Houston, Cedric

20 Jones, Thomas

45 Tutt, Stacy (FB)

23 Ware, Danny

29 Washington, Leon

WIDE RECEIVERS

87 Coles, Laveranues

89 Cotchery, Jerricho

17 Dwight, Tim*

18 Jackson, Frisman

81 McCareins, Justin

14 Pellot-Rosa, Jesse

9 Prall, Evan

16 Smith, Brad

83 Stuckey, Chansi

2 Wong, Juan

15 Wright, Wallace

xx Davis, Chris

TIGHT ENDS

86 Baker, Chris

40 Kowalewski, Joe

82 Pociask, Jason

88 Ryan, Sean

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

72 Bender, Jacob (T-G)

78 Blanton, Ed (T)

Cavka, Marco (T-G)

61 Clarke, Adrien (G)

68 Clement, Anthony (T)

60 DFerguson, D'Brickashaw (T)

76 Goddard, Na'Shan (T-G)

79 Jones, Adrian (T)

66 Kendall, Pete (G)

74 Mangold, Nick ©

62 McChesney, Matt

59 Missant, Charles ©

65 Moore, Brandon (G)

71 Smith, Wade

75 Turner, Robert

69 Villani, Joseph ©

64 Wicker, Andrew

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN

97 Adams, Darrell (DE)

96 Bowens, David (DE)

93 Coleman, Kenyon (DE)

70 DeVito, Mike (DE)

92 Ellis, Shaun (DE)

75 Fitch, Zarnell (DT)

98 Hamilton, Bobby (DE)

94 Haynes, Michael (DE)

77 Hicks, Eric (DE)

95 Mosley, C.J. (DT)

91 Pouha, Sione (DT)

63 Robertson, Dewayne (DT)

67 von Oelhoffen, Kimo (DE)

LINEBACKERS

50 Barton, Eric

58 Chatham, Matt *

47 Costanzo, Blake

52 Harris, David

54 Hobson, Victor

55 Kassell, Brad

Pinson, Lawrence

56 Schlegel Anthony

53 Spencer, Cody

99 Thomas, Bryan

48 Trusnik, Jason

51 Vilma, Jonathan

57 Wadsworth, Andre

DEFENSIVE BACKS

36 Barrett, David (CB)

30 Coleman, Drew (CB)

26 Coleman, Erik (S)

21 Dyson, Andre (CB)

27 Hodge, Alphonso (CB)

44 Ihedigbo, James

39 Kizer, Rayshaun (CB)

22 Miller, Justin (CB)

31 Poteat, Hank (CB)

24 Revis, Darrelle (CB)

25 Rhodes, Kerry (S)

33 Smith, Eric (S)

38 Thompson, Jamie (S)

41 Ventrone, Raymond (S)

42 Washington, Rashad (S)

SPECIAL TEAMS

4 Ayat, Justin (K)

1 Nugent, Mike (K)

7 Graham, Ben (P)

3 Kapinos, Jeremy (P)

85 Dearth, James (LS)

*-on physically unable-to-perform list

Unhappy Jet Kendall decides against holding out

BY TOM ROCK

tom.rock@newsday.com

July 27, 2007

Pete Kendall may still be disgruntled, but he's also at training camp.

The 34-year-old guard, who had said he was unsure whether he would hold out because of his displeasure about his contract, did not miss any mandatory team activities yesterday, the day players were required to report. Kendall is expected to be on the field this morning for the first practice of training camp.

Kendall is seeking an additional $1 million to his 2007 base salary of $1.7 million. During minicamp last month, Kendall blasted the Jets for being "unprofessional" and asked to be traded or released. That may still be his desire, but Kendall is also under contract and may have decided that a possible $14,000-per-day fine for skipping camp is too steep. Or, a more unlikely scenario is that the Jets met his demand for a raise.

Meanwhile, the Jets' streak of signing their drafted players before the beginning of training camp appears to have ended. First-round pick Darrelle Revis, a cornerback from Pittsburgh, had not reached an agreement with the team as of last night's deadline.

Revis is the first first-rounder to miss the opening of training camp with the Jets since James Farrior in 1997, and the first to do so under the tenure of current general manager and former chief negotiator Mike Tannenbaum.

The Jets traded up to select Revis with the 14th pick in April and hoped he could see significant playing time at cornerback this season. The Jets signed their three other draft picks from this spring.

Notes & quotes: On the eve of the first practice, the Jets made two tweaks to their roster, signing WR Chris Davis, who spent parts of the last two seasons with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League, and announcing that RB Cedric Houston has left the team for personal reasons. It is unclear how long Houston's departure will last.

Parcells, others salute Jets' Martin as he retires

TOM ROCK

July 27, 2007

As Curtis Martin made his retirement official yesterday and gave a hint of his future as an NFL owner, his former teammates, coaches and opponents recalled not only one of the sport's most talented players, but also one of its most respected. The remarks were predictably glowing, not only because Martin earned them but because any of the men could be working for Martin someday soon.

"He's one of the most inspirational players I have ever seen," said Bill Parcells, who drafted Martin in 1995 and coached him for two years at New England and two with the Jets. "I always judge players by their ability to inspire others. I've seen Curtis Martin inspire numerous players and coaches and I was fortunate to be among those he inspired. He's one of the greatest players I have ever coached."

"His football statistics and professional accomplishments don't come close to matching the type of person Curtis is off the field," said former Patriots teammate and current Browns linebacker Willie McGinest. "He didn't get as much attention as some of the other top running backs in the NFL because he was quiet, humble and kept to himself. However, his presence on the team was felt every day."

"Curtis Martin embodies everything you want an NFL star to be," Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor said. "He is a class act and a great runner."

"Curtis Martin is hands-down the best running back I've ever played with," former Patriots quarterback Drew Bledsoe said. "He had it all. He's a great pass catcher, great runner, great pass blocker and, above all, he was a teammate of great character that led by example on the field and off."

Even commissioner Roger Goodell took time away from telling delinquent players not to show up at training camp to praise one of the league's shining examples of positive behavior.

"Curtis Martin represents everything an NFL player should be," Goodell said. "He overcame many challenges to enjoy an outstanding career as one of the best running backs in the NFL. His on-field accomplishments were matched by an equally strong commitment to serving his community and being a positive role model off the field. We know that Curtis will continue to be successful and represent the NFL well as he moves into his next career."

Jets coach Eric Mangini added this simple analysis: "If you are looking for a hero, you don't have to look any further than Curtis Martin."

Jets optimistic as camp opens, but questions remain

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: July 27, 2007)

The Jets entered training camp two years ago brimming with the optimism of a Super Bowl contender after a 10-6 season.

Things, of course, took a decidedly wrong turn as Chad Pennington's shoulder injury low-lighted an injury-plagued 4-12 finish that culminated with coach Herman Edwards leaving to take over the head job in Kansas City.

Yet that optimism will again be present today at Hofstra as the team opens its second training camp under Eric Mangini. The 36-year-old coach's first season produced a 10-6 record and an AFC wild-card berth.

"I'm excited," said cornerback Darrelle Revis, the 14th pick in this April's NFL draft who will be inactive until he and the Jets agree on contract terms. "There is a lot of leadership on this team that people don't see and that is great. They had a successful year last year, so we are just trying to improve on that."

But improvement is not a foregone conclusion, good feelings or not.

Pennington needs to stay healthy for a second straight season - 2006 marked the first time the quarterback had started all 16 regular-season games.

The defense must be better than 20th in the NFL.

"There are going to be little things that I know now that I didn't know last year, things that I can improve on that I didn't do last year," said inside linebacker Jonathan Vilma, whose production fell off in Mangini's 3-4 alignment. "It's actually kind of good that people expect things. They expect big plays, big hits."

Newly acquired running back Thomas Jones must produce as he did in his last two seasons, back-to-back 1,000-yard efforts for the Bears.

And the Jets must prove the equal of a schedule that includes three of last season's division winners, including perennial AFC East rival New England twice, six playoff qualifiers overall and nine opponents who finished .500 or better in 2006.

On the plus side, Year Two of Mangini, as well as offensive and defensive coordinators Brian Schottenheimer and Bob Sutton, is sure to bring more familiarity on the parts of both the coaches and players.

"I feel like (Mangini) has a better feel for guys individually," wide receiver Laveranues Coles said. "When he walked through the door last year, he had to see which guys were going to be the type of guys he was going to keep around. He hadn't had a chance to put his stamp on the team yet. He had to filter guys out who weren't going to be able to cut it."

Pennington entered last year's training camp in a supposed four-way competition for the starting-quarterback job with Kellen Clemens, Patrick Ramsey and Brooks Bollinger.

Only Clemens, the second-year pro, remains, and his training-camp competition is limited to ex-Raider Marques Tuiasosopo, whom he will be battling to be Pennington's backup.

"Each day I'm coming out here, competing and doing the best that I can," said Clemens, a second-round pick out of Oregon in 2006. "We will let the chips fall where they may with the depth chart. That's up to the coaches."

Revis is part of one of the camp's keenest competitions. Veterans Andre Dyson, David Barrett and Hank Poteat; third-year pro Justin Miller, the team's lone representative on the AFC Pro Bowl squad, albeit as a kick returner; and second-year pro Drew Coleman will all be vying for playing time at cornerback.

Likewise, the defensive line has several candidates to join nose tackle Dewayne Robertson and defensive end Shaun Ellis. Free agents Kenyon Coleman and David Bowens, ex-Chiefs sack leader Eric Hicks, former Bears first-round pick Michael Haynes, veteran Bobby Hamilton and third-year pros C.J. Mosley and Sione Pouha are among the crowded competition.

Jets working to get Revis in camp

Friday, July 27, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets and the agent for cornerback Darrelle Revis, the team's first-round pick, negotiated late into last night and the two sides are believed to be closing in on a deal. The Jets open training camp today with a double-session at Hofstra University.

GM Mike Tannenbaum hasn't had a rookie holdout since 1997, but that streak may be broken if Revis isn't on the field when coach Eric Mangini blows his whistle at 8:45 a.m.

It's unclear what the stumbling block is since linebacker Lawrence Timmons, drafted 15th overall by the Steelers and one spot after Revis, has signed a five-year deal worth $15 million that includes $8 million guaranteed. Revis is expected to be slotted just ahead of Timmons.

Revis' agent, Neil Schwartz didn't return several calls.

Disgruntled veteran guard Pete Kendall, who demanded to be traded or released, reported to training camp yesterday under his current contract after threatening to holdout if the Jets didn't increase his base salary by $1 million. He's scheduled to earn a $1.7 million base salary this season.

Kendall spoke with Mangini in recent weeks and the pair apparently reached an accord. Nonetheless, Kendall's situation and attitude bears watching.

Running back Cedric Houston left the team for "personal reasons," the Jets announced yesterday. According to someone close to Houston, "Football isn't a priority in (Houston's) life right now. He wants to take a couple of steps back and decide what he wants to do with his life." The person requested anonymity because he's not authorized to speak on the subject.

Linebacker David Harris' contract is a four-year deal worth $3.065 million that included a $1.4 million signing bonus. His base salaries are $285,000, $370,000, $460,000 and $550,000 (with $395,000 guaranteed if he reaches playing time incentives).

The Jets signed free agent WR Chris Davis (Wake Forest) to fill the roster spot freed up by Houston's departure from the team.

my pleasure guys-I'm home during the day and up early so what the heck-I love this site. Also when I can't do the news my old friend from the Rivals board and Greenhouse days Kentucky Jet has agreed to fill in for us

Archived