8/15 Jets TC

ThunderbirdJet

Well. we had hoped to catch a glimpse of Revis, but it was not to be.

Met Jetcane, very nice guy. I'm not sure how good either of our stuff will be today for several reasons: We were not as focused on stuff while we flapping our jaws a lot, the team was in shells, and a lot of the work was against the scout teams. But, here goes...

Pretty low key practice, with a lot of prep time coaching the team about Minnesota's tendencies and schemes.

Oh, lest I forget, although I found it a readilly forgetable moment... Jetcane was talking with that "Sooth" guy. I just stood aside. His MB was the first Jets board I joined, and when he started asking for money, I asked some fairly innocuous questions... and he told me "If you don't like it, go somewhere else." So, I did. I was tempted to do something.... annoying, but thought better of it. LOL :box::banned::shutit:

Kendall got some snaps at LG with the ones, at center with the two's and I think they may just keep him around. Clarke took most of the first team snaps at LG, we were surprised to see Wade Smith take a few at center with the two's in 11 on 11's. I was hoping Vilani had shown enough to get some time with the 2's at center, but he's still with the 3's and the scout team. Wade Smith simply looks aWful snapping in the shotgun. The cap W was intentional!

On the D line, I think Coleman took almost all the snaps at DE with the 1's, and right now could be called the starter, of course subject to change. We saw some 4=3 stuff today, but not enough to get a good handle on who was lines up where. Maybe Jc caught that... Sorry, but I still say Pouha is playing well. Haynes is an albatross. I DID see him turn a running play inside and collapse the line, which for him is a rarity, but good to see. At other times he left his assignment and followed the flow of the linemen only to have a misdirection running play run right over his area of reponsibilty. This lack of discipline may be why his NFL career has so far been a disappointment, because he sure has the speed and skill set to be a very good football player. If any CS can coach him up, it's this one.

Bowens still gets in on the nickle with Vilma at LB, and there is a rotation going on with the DE spot across from Ellis , as well as at NT in pass D formations. Sometimes it's Coleman, sometimes DRob, sometimes Hamilton and sometimes they swap em in and out so fast it's hard to follow. Spencer got a lot of time at OLB with the 2's today. usually he's at ILB, but today it was mostly Kassel and Harris at ILB. Schlegel still runs with the 3's.

Westoff is always screaming at Harris on ST's.

On the offensive side.... I was impressed with... ready... Ratliff. He made some really pretty passes today. Washington ran into the flat (think it was Leon) and Ratliff threw the ball right where it should be before Leon even turned around. Perfect timing play. He has a strong arm, but has touch on the ball too, unlike Tui who has a rocket but has no touch and poor accuracy.

Coles does like to talk more than he lets on... on a questionable PI play that didn't get called (I thought it should have been flagged, Jetcane didn't) Coles yelled at the ref "That's why you don't work on Sundays!"

Frisman had opportunities to make some difficult catches, difficult but catchable balls, and whiffed on several occassions. He gets open, but I'm not sure he is enough of a playmaker. He beat the CB down the left sideline, and Clemens put the ball on his outside shoulder instead of inside... tough catch, but it went right through his hands. With Mangini's comment yesterday about how much WR's can contribute on ST's will make a big difference in making the final cut, and Stuckey getting some punt return action, Stuckey clearly has an edge on Jackson at this point I believe. That pass I just talked about... Stuckey makes those catches. He has two things that jump out at me... great hands and silly good open field moves that leave DB's looking for their socks.

Brad Smith took a few snaps at QB, but not what I call regular snaps... these are plays designed specifically for him. Looks like the QB experiment is over, as they don't even let him take any snaps at QB on the scout team.

Something I didn't like today... I saw McCariens take several plays off. In fact one time, he stopped running his route, and when the pass was completed to a WR that was on a short route, McCariens didn't bother to even fake a block. He had quit on his route even before the ball was thrown. I've said this before about him... he has to show me more in a game before I get back on his bandwagon.

Dyson got beat deep, but came back with an INT in the 11 on 11 two minute drills, with an INT on Pennington in or near the end zone. Clemens 2 minute drill ended on downs. The defense won today.

We couldn't see what went on... our view was blocked, but it looked like a non-kicker made a FG that ended the practice after only 2 hours and 10 minutes. The whole team was hooting and hollering... will have to wait and find out what happened.

This was unusual... in shells for a one a day. I like the one a days because they are always in pads and hitting, but not today, so not much to talk about regarding Ryan's blocking abilities or the lines in general. I will say this... they are using Ryan a LOT as a H back,moving him around, having him set up behind Baker in GL sets, with Barnes lead blocking from the FB spot. That's a lot of bodies laying leather on the opposing D's left side.

Jetcane said he wasn't going to do a report today... I hope he does, I like reading his take on things. Can't think of anything else to add...

thanks for the report T-Bird.

Kendall is more valuable to us or another team if he is able to play multiple positions so I do not see the big deal being made of it.

Pouha has the opportunity if he can play well to solidify the interior.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your report! Between you and Jetcane, this board is very fortunate.

you nailed it KJ-we were waiting all spring and summer for JC's camp reports-they were a big hit last year and now with T-Bird they are twice as good-great job guys and thanks

you nailed it KJ-we were waiting all spring and summer for JC's camp reports-they were a big hit last year and now with T-Bird they are twice as good-great job guys and thanks

well stated guys.my feelings exactly. kj & yourself are pretty johnny on the spot with relevant news articles as well. I shwll contribute something to this board before I die ;)

our outlook seems to have perked up with revis signing hasn't it

really great report T-Bird-what about Wadsworth will he make the team from your vantage?

I think the Wadsworth sory is a nice one, but will end with a less than Hollywood finish. On defense, there are quite a few tough cuts to make, and I think Wadsworth will be one of them.

TY for the props... I enjoy doing these reports, it actually makes me pay more attention at camp, and makes me a better fan. It also makes watching the preseason games more fun, watching how things translate from the practice filed to a game situation.

Jetcane is a rabid U fan... as are it seems all guys that call Miami their alum... and it isn't a good idea to bust horns if people want to read his TC reports! Nuff said.... :rolleyes:

well stated guys.my feelings exactly. kj & yourself are pretty johnny on the spot with relevant news articles as well. I shwll contribute something to this board before I die ;)

our outlook seems to have perked up with revis signing hasn't it

Tabor Jet has been doing it-me and KJ had volunteered to do it but Max must have been cracking the whip around the moderator room...plus I can't seem to wake up before 8:30 anymore

Jetcane is a rabid U fan... as are it seems all guys that call Miami their alum... and it isn't a good idea to bust horns if people want to read his TC reports! Nuff said.... :rolleyes:

yea I hope he didn't get too mad at me since he's one of my favorite people here

Archived