New England extends Warren - NFL.com

Patriots sign defensive end Warren to five-year extension

By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

Even close to the regular season, the New England Patriots are keeping up the pace they established in the offseason.

The Patriots signed standout defensive end Ty Warren to a five-year extension on Thursday worth over $36 million, including $17.5 million in guaranteed money.

Warren, the 13th overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, had two years remaining on his exisiting contract. The 6-foot-5, 300-pound Warren started in all 15 games he played last season and has missed just one game during his career. He registered a career-high 7.5 sacks in 2006.

Warren is part of football's best young defensive line, also featuring Richard Seymour and nose tackle Vince Wilfork.

Re-watching the playoff game and Warren is causing a lot of problems.We'll need to look at getting a good right tackle soon or hope that Warren gets lazy with all his extra money.

Nope. Warren is jacked and pumped ready to rip Penny's head off and give to BB and Pioli on a platter. He had 2 years reamaining on his rookie deal when the Pats offered him this deal.

BTW, Warren is from the same year draft as Drob.

how is NE's cap space looking? I can't imagine them being in a good position after they sign 2 first rounders next year.

I wouldn't look for them to sign two first rounders next year. I'm sure they'll wind up trading one away like they always do.

Remember when a good portion of the JI board ripped the Patriots for taken Warren?

Do you remember? ;)

Yeah, who was that guy that was going to be so much better than Warren? Something about bowling balls and butter knives with a little Warren Sapp mixed in. Who the hell was that guy? :)

Yeah, who was that guy that was going to be so much better than Warren? Something about bowling balls and butter knives with a little Warren Sapp mixed in. Who the hell was that guy? :)

The old DeWayne Robetson vs Ty Warren, Asante Samuel, Eugene Wilson, Vince Wilfork, and $$$ draft debate just keeps getting funnier and funnier as the years go by.

Even two years ago when it was clear that the Pats did a better job in that 2003 draft, plenty of Jets fans still insisted that Robertson was a better player than Warren.

Now it's just a dead horse.

I love Seymour, he's my f*cking boy, but Warren was the best D-lineman on the field for the Pats last year (my hunch, like that of many Pats fans, is that Sey was hampered by injuries). He was a bull on the corner, a monster when single teamed and a handful against the double teams that he started to get as the weather got colder. He deserved to go to the pro-bowl, and his snub ranks up there with the Jamal Williams snubs of recent years.

Love that they extended him... but... the terms are just confusing. They had him signed for around 2/$4 mil for the next two years. The company line is that they don't ever rip up a contract. If so, by giving Warren $36/5, they effectively gave him a $32 million dollar 3-year extension, with most of it guaranteed.

Is Warren worth $7.2 million? Yes.

Is he worth $10.7 million? Ummm... uh... hoo... I love the guy, and it's a brave new cap world out there but...

If one considers this as a $32/3 deal, then Seymour is now the 2nd highest payscale guy on that D-line. That just seems wrong...

Hell of a vote of confidence in Warren from the Pats FO. Even with all the money tied up in Warren and Seymour, I see zero chance of the Pats not moving with similar decisiveness on Wilfork. Wilfork will get extended if his agent is realistic, and if he doesn't he'll get the tag, that is, unless Wilfork drops off.

Definitely a feel-good move on paper, and I'd be FINE with the money if Warren was in Asante Samuel's zero-years-left situation... but with two years left it was... a strange move.

I'm guessing that the Pats felt that Warren's FA value was huge, and that if they didn't act now the payscale for DEs was only gonna get less favorable (Peppers is reportedly close to getting an extension, which should be monster). I know that on KFFL several niners fans were upset about Warren's extension, having him on their longterm radar.

Hope all the old-timers are doing well. Any of the old timers from the DC area ('fish?) with any advice about the city itself should shoot me a PM if they feel generous. Moving down there in two weeks to start law school.

Worst of luck to you b*stards this season.

And a big fat "Eat me on a stick" to you fatboy. :P

I'm not fat, I'm bigboned.

(Actually, have you seen Seymour without pads on? The man is not fat. I saw video of him a few months ago at a press conference and I swear he lost whatever little bit of babyfat he had left on him, the guy looked as svelte as a 300+ lb D-lineman could possibly look. I'm actually suspicious that he might have dropped down to 290 or so, because it was just hard to believe that he was still north of 300. He really is just big-boned.)

how is NE's cap space looking? I can't imagine them being in a good position after they sign 2 first rounders next year.

http://www.patscap.com/futureyears.html

This sight says they are about $7.5 Million under with 49 players signed. Looking a little closer they will probabalby be under by more tham that. Kelly Washington is due a $4 roster bonus in 2008. Doubt he will get that. Notable FA in 2008 include Asante Samuel, Randy Moss and Randall Gay.

Anyone know of a Jets Salary Cap sight like this one?

Archived