Beckham draws 66,000 in NY

Mavrik

compared to the 9,000 he drew the previous game.

Still, 66,000 for an MLS game is a pretty decent accomplishment. Considering Giant stadium has never had more than 11,000 this season for a Red Bulls match.

I watched the last 30 minutes of it, seeing 4 goals, and it was an entertaining game.

Unlike the NASL which went over board on the foreign prospects, bringing in Beckham will be interesting. ALso Lothar Mathaus and Jurgen Klinsmann who were also brought to the MLS were well past their primes. Becks still has some playing time ahead of him.

Soccer's growing in the U.S. Unfortunately for MLS, the people that are getting into soccer are getting into Euro Soccer, not U.S. Soccer.

We will probably always be a feeder system to Europe.

I just hope that the days when Claudio Reyna or Clint Dempsey goto Europe for a huge payday are few and far between.

They can stay here and still make decent money and not be compelled to go there unless they wanted to.

We will probably always be a feeder system to Europe.

I just hope that the days when Claudio Reyna or Clint Dempsey goto Europe for a huge payday are few and far between.

They can stay here and still make decent money and not be compelled to go there unless they wanted to.

The problem is that all the teams in the MLS are run by MLS. There is no individual ownership other than groups that are allowed to operate the club, but not necessary own it. MLS also has a salary cap, so while there's parity, you have most avg players in the league making around 30-40k at most. European clubs offer top dollar for players so any American player wanting to make a name for himself is going to do it in Europe, not America.

I call these people stupid.

While we appreciate your ignorance, its not needed here.

Back on topic: MLS is doing the right thing by building 20k-25k seat stadiums as they know that they will never compete with the NFL, NBA & MLB for popularity.

With the way the NHL is going, MLS may become the number 4 sport.

Mavrik: I agree with you on your feeder system coment. MLS has lost Clint Dempsey and Freddie Adu to Europe this year.

Soccer can become a big time sport in this country. Problem is too many people have preconceived notions about why they hate soccer and wont enjoy it for the beauty of the game.

Is baseball really that exciting? Or basketball?

Are people football fans because they know the intricacies of the game or because they have the basic understanding and watch because they play follow the leader??

When I was in NY 2 weekends ago, I sat and watched an English Premeir league game and it actually was good. I wish I had fox soccer channel to watch soccer, and I'm not a fan of the game... used to play as a kid and understand the game but I never really gave it a chance... maybe its time I do give it a chance.

Soccer can become a big time sport in this country. Problem is too many people have preconceived notions about why they hate soccer and wont enjoy it for the beauty of the game.

Is baseball really that exciting? Or basketball?

Are people football fans because they know the intricacies of the game or because they have the basic understanding and watch because they play follow the leader??

When I was in NY 2 weekends ago, I sat and watched an English Premeir league game and it actually was good. I wish I had fox soccer channel to watch soccer, and I'm not a fan of the game... used to play as a kid and understand the game but I never really gave it a chance... maybe its time I do give it a chance.

Have fun watching a bunch of pansies chase after a ball for hours on end. Nothing like watching those exciting 1-0 games. Whew! Does the action ever stop?

Have fun watching a bunch of pansies chase after a ball for hours on end. Nothing like watching those exciting 1-0 games. Whew! Does the action ever stop?

Yes, just like Basketball. A bunch of thugged out, overpaid "gangstas" who could care less about the game and the fans rather than which shoe deal they get, spending a few hours jogging around a court with a bunch of referees who most likely are betting on the game itself, all the while trying to convince everyone its a sport America should waste their money on.

Yeah, gotcha.

Anyone who calls soccer players "pansies" is basically admitting they know absolutely nothing about the game. But that was pretty obvious to begin with.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived