Comment on Mexicans

drago

I'm working at the bank, a freshman at my former school comes in (how do you spell almamater? yikes). She brings up that she is meeting her boyfriend in plattville this weekend for a party. I asked her how she met him, and she said...well its a funny story, we met on a plane, didn't talk for the first few hours but got to talking and exchanged numbers.

me: "a few hours? where were you flying?"

her: "mexico."

me: "ok that sounds like fun"

her: (interrupting me) "oh...but don't worry he's not mexican"

what???? who gives a chit? I play soccer with a ton of mexicans out here, and i find them to be really nice people, and generally very genuine and down to earth. What's with the knock on Mexicans?

(hey mods, if you don't like the thread title, change it up, no worries)

I'm working at the bank, a freshman at my former school comes in (how do you spell almamater? yikes). She brings up that she is meeting her boyfriend in plattville this weekend for a party. I asked her how she met him, and she said...well its a funny story, we met on a plane, didn't talk for the first few hours but got to talking and exchanged numbers.

what???? who gives a chit? I play soccer with a ton of mexicans out here, and i find them to be really nice people, and generally very genuine and down to earth. What's with the knock on Mexicans?

I think Jetman has mades some "interesting" comments about mexicans here before, lol

You should have told her your adoptive parents are mexican, or your girlfriend is. See how she reacted.

Like on the office,

"Is there something less offensive than mexican?"

"The term mexican is not offensive"

random request

What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? And after you're real drunk, maybe go down to the public park and stagger around and ask people for money, and then lay down and go to sleep.

random request

What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? And after you're real drunk, maybe go down to the public park and stagger around and ask people for money, and then lay down and go to sleep.

I really hope that you and drago don't procreate.

Jetman is the poster boy for tolerance and understanding.

And turkey legs and puking on oneself.

you gotta change up your sig. i googled it and had never heard of them, no one is going to get it unless that band's lead singer started posting...even in that case i bet he doesn't remember. :)

I really hope that you and drago don't procreate.

I think we all hope that

i have never had a problem with infesting anyone's egg. From what i understand you can't do it to barn yard animals in this position anyway...

:sheepf:

no worries mods, this is the last mdrago4 you will ever see. :)

A network with programs about a bunch of angsty young adults!

then yes, and yes, i do agree.

anyone going to comment on my ratially charged mexican comment? come on! this will not stand! jack treehorn treats objects like women, man!

you gotta change up your sig. i googled it and had never heard of them, no one is going to get it unless that band's lead singer started posting...even in that case i bet he doesn't remember. :)

You're just a kid. What the hell do you know?:box:

The people I know from Mexico are great.

There are many non-US cultures (not people...*cultures*)that are quite Patriarchial and deny women a lot of freedoms in many aspects of their lives. This is most notable in the Middle East but it happens everywhere. An American woman who is interested in a person from a vastly different culture needs to make very sure that ALL the man's family's customs etc will be acceptable to her for the rest of her life.

This may have been the perspective of the girl on the plane.

The people I know from Mexico are great.

There are many non-US cultures (not people...*cultures*)that are quite Patriarchial and deny women a lot of freedoms in many aspects of their lives. This is most notable in the Middle East but it happens everywhere. An American woman who is interested in a person from a vastly different culture needs to make very sure that ALL the man's family's customs etc will be acceptable to her for the rest of her life.

are you suggesting that saying mexicans, or mexican people is racially charged?

What the hell does that have to do with Dragos original post?

What the hell does that have to do with Dragos original post?

She probably should have made everyone happy and said:

You may be concerned that I'm rapidly opening myself up to the complexities of a cross-cultural relationship, and that I should take some time to be sure I've thought through all the logistical, religious, and social things that could come up. That is not the case here, because the guy I met was flying down from the US.

Instead, she abbreviated it...poorly.

She probably should have made everyone happy and said:

You may be concerned that I'm rapidly opening myself up to the complexities of a cross-cultural relationship, and that I should take some time to be sure I've thought through all the logistical, religious, and social things that could come up. That is not the case here, because the guy I met was flying down from the US.

Instead, she abbreviated it...poorly.

way to take everything out of context. If anyone here were writing for Time Magazine, or the New York Post, i'm sure we would add these disclaimers.

i'm so sorry to have offended anyone by leaving out a lengthy disclaimer to make sure not to offend anyone.

BTW, you are a jag.

(disclaimer: all claims from me to any one personabout being a "jag" are not meant to critisize, but more to encourage. I also apologize for the trail of tears, holacaust, slavery, and any rapes that happened in the 20th century. I am also ashamed to be a caucasian living in the United States, and pitty all those who do not feel the same.)

Archived