So Whatever Happened to Defense?

MikeJetsWord

Everybody Wants to talk about Clemens and the offense... but how about that defense...

This Defense is the epitome of the "bend but don't break" defense. How is It possible that through 8 quarters of play, we don't have ONE sack OR turnover. That is pathetic. I know It corresponds directly to the fact we do not have even a resemblence of a pass rush. all I want to know is how can we fix this problem. And soon... cuz this is going to be a long season if we can't fix that.

Everybody Wants to talk about Clemens and the offense... but how about that defense...

This Defense is the epitome of the "bend but don't break" defense. How is It possible that through 8 quarters of play, we don't have ONE sack OR turnover. That is pathetic. I know It corresponds directly to the fact we do not have even a resemblence of a pass rush. all I want to know is how can we fix this problem. And soon... cuz this is going to be a long season if we can't fix that.

3 Reasons

1. Wrong Scheme

2. Defensive Line stinks

3. Injuries to the Secondary

Perhaps Tangenius is not such a genius after all. Had they gone shopping for a real NT, I would not be as bothered as I am by the fact that on some occasions in the offseason Mangini repeated how he wants an athletic NT (which usually means smaller) if our lines were any smaller, they would be soccer players. No one can pick them all, but come on...Except for a RB, we made all the wrong aquisitions in the offseason...No running back can run behind this poor excuse of a line, and no secondary can cover when your line couldn't rush a disabled old lady on a manual wheel chair. I am so frustrated by the years of losing that I feel robbed of my love for the game.

They should have brought in at least SOME player with the size requisite for the job. Ngata/Watson in the '06 draft. Grady Jackson, Sam Adams, Ma'ake Kemoeatu, an over-the hill Ted Washington, make an offer for Kris Jenkins - there were lots of options & the option we went with was do do absolutely nothing & put a 3-technique DT at nose.

They should have brought in at least SOME player with the size requisite for the job. Ngata/Watson in the '06 draft. Grady Jackson, Sam Adams, Ma'ake Kemoeatu, an over-the hill Ted Washington, make an offer for Kris Jenkins - there were lots of options & the option we went with was do do absolutely nothing & put a 3-technique DT at nose.

I completely agree. Hell, even some mock draft had us picking (and I forgot who it was) a large NT something like 6-4 350 lbs. How could our coaches not see it? we could have 3 of the best Corners in the NFL back there and it wouldn't matter. Even our special teams coach would average 3 yrd a carry running against the Jets. Like I said in the preseason, we were soft on the line last year, and this year we are worse. Not so hot for a coach whom was supposed to be very defensive minded...right?

The majority of turnovers come from pressure. We do not pressure the qb at all. No pass rush whatsoever and our D is generally on its heels, to fumbles aren't too likely either.

As far as NTs go, I had hoped and prayed that Pouha was really going to be valuable and that was why nobody was brought in. That wasn't it. Still, in defense of the FO, the extra large NT many of us were hoping for did not even last through his first mini-camp. He wasn't worth a pick or even an UDFA offer. Especially for a character first team like this.

Archived