Kenny Jonsson

Gang Green Girl

won't return to the NHL or the Isles. He's staying in Sweden. That hurts their defense, especially since Aucoin and Hamerlik will become unrestricted free agents when...if....the season ever resumes. They're gonna miss him.

I thought Kenny Jonson had a chance. I really did.

The Islanders suck so it really doesn't matter. :wink: =D>

But on a more serious note:

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of guys just either never come back to NHL and retire or if they just stay over sea's or in Canada, wherever they all may be. Why not? It's a better functioned and organized league than this. Sure they get pais less $ but at least they wouldn't have to worry about a lockout.

If and when they finally settle it will be chaos for teams to sign players to contracts.

Islanders will need a playmaking defensemen- Milbury is terrible as a GM. Go with youth-less money and more desire

solid Free Agent D-Men

Adrian Aucoin (I hope the Isles re-sign him!!!)

Sergei Zubov

Alex Zhitnik

Brian Leetch (if you can call him a sold D-man)

Scott Stevens (risky)

I always liked Zubov back to when he played for the Rangers- good on the power play with his shot.

He's 40 years old. You'd really pick Stevens from that list? Aucoin is a good 10 years younger, great on the penalty kill and good both on O and D. And he has a really mean shot.

I would go with Stevens if proven healthy. Beside why should I look to help out the Long Islanders

Aucoin is an iron man.

I think Jonsson staying in Sweden might not be all bad. He's concussion prone, and this thins the glut of "offensive" defensemen the Isles have.

Personally, I resign Hamrlik and Aucoin to go with Janne Ninnema, and then try and find a big, stay at home banger for my 4th defenseman. 5 & 6 can be Martinek and one of the kids.

The Isles MUST get Aucoin signed--by far, the most important. I think losing Jonsson is gonna hurt them more than you think. I was sorry to see Janne N. go when he was with the F'ers. He's a fairly solid D-man, but won't put up any big numbers.

Aucoin is an iron man.

I think Jonsson staying in Sweden might not be all bad. He's concussion prone, and this thins the glut of "offensive" defensemen the Isles have.

Personally, I resign Hamrlik and Aucoin to go with Janne Ninnema, and then try and find a big, stay at home banger for my 4th defenseman. 5 & 6 can be Martinek and one of the kids.

The Isles MUST get Aucoin signed--by far, the most important. I think losing Jonsson is gonna hurt them more than you think. I was sorry to see Janne N. go when he was with the F'ers. He's a fairly solid D-man, but won't put up any big numbers.

You may be right, but I just look at Kenny being one big hit away from retirement anyway. Its always killed me that he's just not physical at all. Best he stay in the Swedish gentlemens' league :lol:

Besides, Janne and Kenny put up almost identical numbers last year if I recall. I think Janne had more goals even. Janne's put up 30-40+ points every year for the past few years. Jonsson has broken 30 I think once in the last 5 yrs. Jonsson is more responsible defensively, but replace him with a stay at home #4 and now youre cookin.

Losing him will hurt (It was a luxury having those 4 together) but the Isles arent the Rangers, Flyers, Wings, etc. They cant afford all 4. With the "new NHL" and a probable cap, teams wont be able to afford 4 offensive defensemen in all probability, so Id rather Kenny make their decision easy than have them let Aucoin or Hamr walk and then have Jonsson wind up getting hurt. Replacing the "most likely to be stretchered out" with a cheaper more physical #4 makes a lot of sense in my opinion.

You may be right, but I just look at Kenny being one big hit away from retirement anyway. Its always killed me that he's just not physical at all. Best he stay in the Swedish gentlemens' league :lol:

Besides, Janne and Kenny put up almost identical numbers last year if I recall. I think Janne had more goals even. Janne's put up 30-40+ points every year for the past few years. Jonsson has broken 30 I think once in the last 5 yrs. Jonsson is more responsible defensively, but replace him with a stay at home #4 and now youre cookin.

Losing him will hurt (It was a luxury having those 4 together) but the Isles arent the Rangers, Flyers, Wings, etc. They cant afford all 4. With the "new NHL" and a probable cap, teams wont be able to afford 4 offensive defensemen in all probability, so Id rather Kenny make their decision easy than have them let Aucoin or Hamr walk and then have Jonsson wind up getting hurt. Replacing the "most likely to be stretchered out" with a cheaper more physical #4 makes a lot of sense in my opinion.

Archived