Mets/ Torrealba By end of Week????

Lil Bit Special

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmets145460321nov14,0,3512731,print.story

Having lost out on Jorge Posada, the Mets are wasting no time in trying to close a deal with Yorvit Torrealba, and it looks like an agreement could be struck by the end of this week.

General manager Omar Minaya, spurned by Posada's decision to return to the Yankees late Monday, contacted Torrealba's agent yesterday with the intent of moving ahead quickly, according to a National League official familiar with the situation.

Torrealba, the former catcher of the NL champion Rockies, earned $1.075 million last season and Colorado reportedly has tried to retain him with a two-year offer in the $7-million range. The Marlins also have shown interest, but the Mets may be willing to go to a third year (or option) in order to fill the only position they do not have an in-house replacement for.

The aggressive push for Torrealba is the result of a thin market for catchers, and the Mets, if backed into a corner,do not want to be forced to pay what they believe is an inflated price for Paul Lo Duca. Minaya had stayed in touch with Lo Duca's agent early in the process, but those talks cooled once the Mets GM turned his attention to Torrealba.

At 29, Torrealba is six years younger than Lo Duca, who has endured some serious wear and tear during his two seasons in Flushing. Lo Duca had surgery to repair a ligament in his thumb at the end of the 2006 season and he played even fewer games (119) this year because of hamstring issues.

Lo Duca, who is coming off a three-year, $18-million contract, is a .288 career hitter. Torrealba's numbers were markedly different away from Coors Field. Torrealba batted .296 at home, but .212 on the road.

Defensively, Torrealba is an upgrade, and he was a key figure in the Rockies' run to the World Series. As a Type B free agent, the Mets would not lose a draft pick for signing Torrealba.

The Mets would miss Lo Duca's competitive fire in an otherwise tepid clubhouse, and he was one of David Wright's closest friends on the team.

Minaya already is in the process of re-signing Ramon Castro, who is expected to receive a new two-year contract worth roughly $4 million.

Glavine close with Braves? Tom Glavine's agent, Greg Clifton, will meet with Braves GM Frank Wren today in Phoenix to discuss a possible return to Atlanta, according to MLB.com.

Yes! We are going to the World Series now!!!

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmets145460321nov14,0,3512731,print.story

Having lost out on Jorge Posada, the Mets are wasting no time in trying to close a deal with Yorvit Torrealba, and it looks like an agreement could be struck by the end of this week.

General manager Omar Minaya, spurned by Posada's decision to return to the Yankees late Monday, contacted Torrealba's agent yesterday with the intent of moving ahead quickly, according to a National League official familiar with the situation.

Torrealba, the former catcher of the NL champion Rockies, earned $1.075 million last season and Colorado reportedly has tried to retain him with a two-year offer in the $7-million range. The Marlins also have shown interest, but the Mets may be willing to go to a third year (or option) in order to fill the only position they do not have an in-house replacement for.

The aggressive push for Torrealba is the result of a thin market for catchers, and the Mets, if backed into a corner,do not want to be forced to pay what they believe is an inflated price for Paul Lo Duca. Minaya had stayed in touch with Lo Duca's agent early in the process, but those talks cooled once the Mets GM turned his attention to Torrealba.

At 29, Torrealba is six years younger than Lo Duca, who has endured some serious wear and tear during his two seasons in Flushing. Lo Duca had surgery to repair a ligament in his thumb at the end of the 2006 season and he played even fewer games (119) this year because of hamstring issues.

Lo Duca, who is coming off a three-year, $18-million contract, is a .288 career hitter. Torrealba's numbers were markedly different away from Coors Field. Torrealba batted .296 at home, but .212 on the road.

Defensively, Torrealba is an upgrade, and he was a key figure in the Rockies' run to the World Series. As a Type B free agent, the Mets would not lose a draft pick for signing Torrealba.

The Mets would miss Lo Duca's competitive fire in an otherwise tepid clubhouse, and he was one of David Wright's closest friends on the team.

Minaya already is in the process of re-signing Ramon Castro, who is expected to receive a new two-year contract worth roughly $4 million.

Glavine close with Braves? Tom Glavine's agent, Greg Clifton, will meet with Braves GM Frank Wren today in Phoenix to discuss a possible return to Atlanta, according to MLB.com.

Yes! We are going to the World Series now!!!

I loved it when we got Lo Duca from the Marlins but like you said, the injuries have taken a toll. I have heard very very little about the mets and Lo Duca since the season ended so it pretty much seemed like the Mets were going elsewhere. Don't know much about Torrealba but if he's healthy and a defensive upgrade I'm all for it. Once Posada was resigned the market became miniscule. This sounds like their best option. Get it done quickly Omar so we can turn to adding some starting pitching.

While I agree LoDuca wore out his welcome and needed to go somewhere else, Torrealba SUCKS!!

he hit .212 away from Coors field. He threw out LESS runners than LoDuca and had like 8 HR's last season.

I hate this move. I'd hold out to see if the O's are willing to move Hernandez.

I'd even consider giving the starting job to Castro and see how long he can handle a full time catching role.

While I agree LoDuca wore out his welcome and needed to go somewhere else, Torrealba SUCKS!!

he hit .212 away from Coors field. He threw out LESS runners than LoDuca and had like 8 HR's last season.

I'd even consider giving the starting job to Castro and see how long he can handle a full time catching role.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hernara02.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/torreyo01.shtml

Yorvit has never played in more than 113 games, and that was this year. Only problem with Hernandez is it will cost us something... and Id rather trade away a prospect for pitching before the catcher position.

And Castro will not be a good starting catcher. He is better as a pinch hitter or coming off the bench a game or two a week. When he had the opportunity, he either has broken down or not produced.

Plus, what happened to the Mets pursuing a trade with pittsburgh for Ronnie Paulino??

There are other options dont know why they are settling on a guy like Yorvit

This guy sucks .....

BUT, he fits Omar's damn criteria,,Latin.

enough with the All-Merengue Team ..

Memo to Omar: Some Latin players suck, they arent all good. It would actually help the Mets to sign a good non-Latin player as opposed to a medicore Latin player.

I know Torrealba wasn't much of a stick but I thought he was better with the glove. Didn't know he threw out less than LoDuca. Castro CAN'T handle the job because he CAN't stay off the IR . Crap at this rate I'd just as soon keep LoDuca. Oh wait he's not Latino. I guess they talked to the O's about Hernandez but no deal.

I know Torrealba wasn't much of a stick but I thought he was better with the glove. Didn't know he threw out less than LoDuca. Castro CAN'T handle the job because he CAN't stay off the IR . Crap at this rate I'd just as soon keep LoDuca. Oh wait he's not Latino. I guess they talked to the O's about Hernandez but no deal.

not sure he can handle the everyday job either. played in 113 games this year I think, which was a career high. Before this season he never played in 70 games!

Wish this guys name was Yorvit Smith, Omar never would have gave him a 2nd thought.

then again Mr. & Mrs. Smith would have to explain naming him Yorvit!

They're paying $5 million a year for 3 years. If his name was Sean Macgillicuddy or Tony Napolitano,Minaya wouldn't even take his phone calls. Simply a disgrace. So the Mets, in addition to the pitcher's spot, will have another auotmatic out in the lineup, and one that's no better than Castro defensively. They have to be looking at Castro getting 120 games, so they have a $5 million backup catcher who cannot hit and is marginal defensively. Great move.

Now we know why they collapsed in 2007,,

Omar just announced he is making official what the players piloted last year secretly...

Mets will be throwing out the ages old '7th Inning Stretch' song and replacing with a Latin tradition instead.

Ladies and Gents: The Mets '7th Inning Siesta Fiesta'

_41752700_siesta416.jpg

The only rationale I can give for this is a to get younger at the position which takes a big toll on a player. That and the Loduca personality.

I think that you have a good read on teh situation. I think LoDuca was too "out front' for teh Mets taste, who ten to run conservative. The whole divorce fiasco along with the alleged gambling and girlfriends thing I think rubbed teh Mets a little bit too.

This is traditionally an organization that likes its players to be quiet and in line.

While this is not reflective of the current ownership, I will never forget Cleon Jones having to hold a press conference because he got caught in a van with another woman other than his wife. He was forced to apolgize publicly.

Like everyone else it seems I do not get this move- the guy has never played more than 113 games- the only possible reason is to get younger at the position which matters when it comes to catchers.

???? Haven't you been paying attention???? What's there not to get? Lo Duca is non Latino , Torrealba is Latino. Capisce? :biggrin:

The Mets did not reach an agreement with Yorvit Torrealba," Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz said, "and there are no current negotiations."

Torrealba's agent, Melvin Roman, declined to comment on the situation. Looks like Omar might be getting on the phone with Paul LoDuca sometime soon. Yorvit was looking at a three-year, $14.4 million deal with the Mets.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

.....and who says Omar doesn't read JetNation.;)

The Mets did not reach an agreement with Yorvit Torrealba," Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz said, "and there are no current negotiations."

Torrealba's agent, Melvin Roman, declined to comment on the situation. Looks like Omar might be getting on the phone with Paul LoDuca sometime soon. Yorvit was looking at a three-year, $14.4 million deal with the Mets.

YES!! SANGRIA FOR EVERYONE!! :yahoo:

Thank God.

Now if only the jets can win tomorrow my weekend will be complete.

LOL.....who'd you rather see, LoDuca back or maybe a Michael Barrett?

Also the Jets will win.....Mangini after a bye week is money.

im not sold on LoDuca either, but at least he's a know quantity. I know there arent any good FA catchers and we might have to give up a player to get a catcher, but I dont know off the top of my head who is decent....

and nice call.... my weekend was complete with that victory.

Archived