Mets trade Mota to Brewers

Lurker

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmets1121,0,2690590.story

The Mets found a solution to their catching problem today, and they unloaded one of their least successful players from their 2007 club, as well. The Mets acquired Johnny Estrada from the Brewers in return for reliever Guillermo Mota.

Estrada, 31, played in 120 games for the Brewers in 2007. He hit 10 homers with a .296 on-base percentage and .403 slugging percentage. Throughout all of his stops -- from Philadelphia to Atlanta, to Arizona, to Milwukaee -- he has earned praise for his handling of pitchers. Estrada will share time behind the plate with Ramon Castro, whom the Mets brought back last week.

To get anything for Mota works for me- Estrada is a good pickup-switchhitter that has some pop in the bat.

I'm glad they have the catching question answered. Actually I thought Mota , if he stayed clean, would have a good year next year. Nice to see Omar keep adding to that Latino connection the Mets have.

I'm glad they have the catching question answered. Actually I thought Mota , if he stayed clean, would have a good year next year. Nice to see Omar keep adding to that Latino connection the Mets have.

to be fair, he is giving up 1 latino for another, so its a wash there! ;)

Not an Estrada fan, but the fact that somebody took Mota of their hands baffles me. The guy has been gasoline on the fire since he came back from the 'roid suspension.

Hopefully this will be a platoon situation with Castro and Estrada. I'd like to see Castro play 2 or 3 times a week. Estrada has always had a good reputation of handling pitching staffs, hopefully he doesn't kill them with his stick.

Estrada is pretty horrible.

His minimal 10-15 homer pop does not make up for the fact that he never, ever walks.

Agree on the walks but he's not horrible.

Mets could simply release him anyway or move him in another deal. If not, a Castro/Estrada combo is sufficient as unless you have one of the top 8-10 catchers(Posada, McCann, Mauer, Russell, etc) the rest are all the same......average.

Agree on the walks but he's not horrible.

Mets could simply release him anyway or move him in another deal. If not, a Castro/Estrada combo is sufficient as unless you have one of the top 8-10 catchers(Posada, McCann, Mauer, Russell, etc) the rest are all the same......average.

He's also one of the worst defensive catchers in baseball.

I see this as a lateral movement for the Mets unless they plan to platoon Estrada.

There's a reason estrada has been dumped by 3 teams in 3 years.

Yeah, the Phillies got Millwood in return for him

The Braves had McCann and Salty(who brought back Texeira).

While hurt in Arizona he still went 11 HR-71 RBI's with a poor OBP and throwing skills and we can still trade him.

I am fine with the trade

Archived