Who's to blame for the NFL Network-CAble fiasco?

Blackout

It's the cable companies. Having another football channel is unfair to subscribers, but 20 cooking channels, 44 Asian, Indian and Spanish channels, 37 shopping channels, 18 public access channels, 8 weather channels and 196 news channels are no problem and all included in your monthly bill. The sooner they have a la carte programming, the better.

NFL being too greedy. NFL is a specialty item that should only have to be paid for by subscribers. Take a fee from pro football fans only, not from everybody. I dont thin kthe NFL has the leverage to impose its will. But I could be wrong.

Having said this I dont disagree with Grenn DNA's post, above, its just that all those channels dont cost very much :)

It's the cable companies. Having another football channel is unfair to subscribers, but 20 cooking channels, 44 Asian, Indian and Spanish channels, 37 shopping channels, 18 public access channels, 8 weather channels and 196 news channels are no problem and all included in your monthly bill. The sooner they have a la carte programming, the better.

I blame CRIME WARNER and the other big cable companys. Pure greed. Their arguement for not putting it on basic is that people who will never use it must also pay for it. BULL S**T. Besides the great examples you sited, these hypocrits want to package the NFL Network with a bunch of other sport networks that I , for one, will never watch. That's why I switched to satellite last year. Screw cable.

I can turn on my cable and see Hunting, scrabble contests, bass fishing, ping pong and even the friggin Scripps spelling bee...but I can't see the Packers and Cowboys...how sad is that?...being in Los Angeles, and without an NFL franchise...we're at least deserving of a pass.

Actually, as it usually is in these sort of disputes, both sides are guilty. This is very similar to the whole YES network dispute. As is always the case, the bottom line is money.

The NFL Network wants it's channel as part of Cablevisions basic sports package (BSP) for several reasons.

1. They (The NFL), sell air time to national sponsors. The more households that can get the channel increases advertising revenue as well as increasing PR exposure for the NFL.

2. Being part of the BSP means that subscriber revenue can be accurately projected by the NFL. Being part of a premium package makes revenues less than predictable and reduces the number of homes the channel will be provided to.

Cablevision:

1. Their public position is that they don't want to increase the price of their BSP for subscribers that don't want it. That is horse manure. They are much more concerned about their base package pricing going up a dollar or two vs. their competition like Direct TV and Verizon.

2. Cablevision is being hurt seriously by Verizon FiOS. However, since the Dolans own MSG, Verizon can never get the MSG network. So, as of now, it's MSG vs. NFL Network. In the NY area, the Dolans figure that MSG will draw more sports fans than the NFLN will.

The YES network thing was about the Yankees in NY. Cablevision got their arms twisted until they caved in. The NFLN doesn't have as much pressure as the YES network had in this local region.

It's all about two entities trying to make as much money as possible, and they will both use whatever market pressures they can bring to bear upon one another. The fan, as usual, doesn't even enter into the equation , it's the number of subscribers won or lost that counts.

In the very long term, TV will all eventually become pay per view. In the interim, these sort of disputes will lay the grounwork for that ultimate end.

The Packers v Lions game is on Fox here in Omaha and the Jets v Cowboys game is on CBS here as well.

With that said, as much as I used to watch NFL Network, I really cant stand most of the programing on there anymore, although it is better than the smooch fest that ESPN has become.

Im pretty sure he means the Cowboys-Packers game in two weeks, not the Cowboys-Jets and Packers-Lions games this week (that's what I thought at first as well;))

Archived