Dolphins losing, but fans are still watching

Lil Bit Special

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/v-print/story/335616.html

No matter how much the Dolphins keep losing, viewers keep watching.

Despite the worst season in franchise history, Dolphins ratings in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale market actually are ahead of last season, by more than 25,000 homes per telecast. The 12 games have averaged a 17.8 rating, ahead of last year's 16.1, when Miami finished 6-10, and comparable to recent years when the team's record was much better.

WFOR-4, which has carried nine of the games, has seen Dolphins ratings jump from a 15.7 to a 17.6, meaning 17.6 percent of Miami-Fort Lauderdale homes with TV sets, on average, are tuned to the game. (One local ratings point equals 15,386 homes.)

The Monday night game against Pittsburgh produced the Dolphins' highest rating of the year in their only regular-season, prime-time appearance -- a 22.9 (11.8 on ESPN, 11.1 on Channel 7).

The Dolphins' ratings traditionally rank in the lower third among all teams, with Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Indianapolis and Denver among the strongest markets for the home team.

Im sure the fans want to actually witness the first win, hence the jump.

what i dont get is...

the stadium doesnt sell out. but all the tickets are "sold" so the game can air on tv so they can get good ratings... if they didnt sell the tickets, would more people show up to watch at the stadium???

i guess fans are willing to watch for free..

Keep in mind that Many, many, people in the South Florida area are not from South Florida, and are not fans of the Dolphins.

In my case, I am a Jets fan, but frequently watch Dolphins games, because they play the AFCE teams, and impact the Jets. There are also a lot of Pats, and Bills fans in the area.

The historical "train wreck" element of it is also a factor this year.

You definitely have the best cheerleaders, there are like eleventy billion of them, and they all look like the one in your sig. :eusa_drool:

I like you Bp, there is no lying in you. The Dolphins may be winless, but we do have the hottest cheerleaders in the league, and they all have blazing speed... Sub 4.5 40 times. Its amazing. I think Sierra is starting at safety for Cameron Worrell this week.

Archived