Ex-Yankee Jim Leyritz acquitted in fatal DUI crash

Matt39

This is a touchy subject for anyone that has lost loved ones to drunk driving. I personally lost 2 close friends of 15 years 2 weeks ago, to a guy who hit them head on and killed them. The driver was .28 bac, as well as under the influence of drugs. That being said, the laws in this country for drinking and driving are revenue oriented. In my state, .08 is the BAC limit for being "drunk". That means that I can drink 2 beers, drive my car out of the garage, hit someone and be considered DUI. I hate to tell you, but 2 beers doesn't even give me a buzz. There needs to be reform in this country. While we do that, we can also stiffen the penalties for drinking and driving. How many people here haven't gone to Happy Hour with their co workers and sipped a few drinks. Did everyone get a cab home ? I doubt it. From the information in that story, if Leyritz was sipping vodka all night, he was very likely over the limit. I witnessed him drinking with a few other Yankees some years back after a game, and I know he can pound them down. It's a sad story all around, but if he did it, he needs to pay the price.

You're kidding me right?

This is a terrible thing but guilty until proven innocent only applies to the court of public opinion and to people who have zero understanding of how the American justice system works apparently.

yeah, ok. tell that to Nicole Brown & Ron Goldman's families. How did the "american justice system" work for them.

Leyritz is a known drunk, who got boozed up on his birthday, got behind the wheel of his truck, ran a red light and killed a 30 year old mother of 2, refused a breathalyzer because he knew he was f@cked.

But let's see what tecnicality will get him probation and a fine instead of YEARS in jail.

Go tell her 2 little kids that we have to wait to see what the "american justice system" says we should do with the drunk man that killed your mommy, on her way home from a 2nd job at 3:00 am!

yeah, ok. tell that to Nicole Brown & Ron Goldman's families. How did the "american justice system" work for them.

Leyritz is a known drunk, who got boozed up on his birthday, got behind the wheel of his truck, ran a red light and killed a 30 year old mother of 2, refused a breathalyzer because he knew he was f@cked.

But let's see what tecnicality will get him probation and a fine instead of YEARS in jail.

Go tell her 2 little kids that we have to wait to see what the "american justice system" says we should do with the drunk man that killed your mommy, on her way home from a 2nd job at 3:00 am!

Everything you said is correct. Those of us that have been affected by this kind of stuff need to back off. We cannot look at this objectivly.

I'm not saying that we're perfect. In fact I wasn't saying anything like that. All I was saying is that cornerstone of our justice system is that you are innocent until proven guilty. I wasn't talking about OJ or Jacko or anything like that, just the simple fact that you are innocent until proven guilty.

We have plenty of flaws but you have no reason to freak out when all I was doing was pointing out a simple fact.

what I'm freaking out at is people giving Leyritz the benefit of the doubt.

the facts are out there. he was tanked up and killed a 30 year old mother of 2. lock the murderer up for life in my opinion. but even that won't give the 12 year old girl & 5 year old boy their mother back.

There is no excuse for this crap. I was in the car when my brother was killed by a drunk driver who ran a light.

That's horrible about your brother, bro. Sorry to hear that.

this is exactly why trial lawyers ask questions to potential jurors about whether they had any experiences that might affect their impartiality about the case. Obviously, you could never sit on a DUI case due to your feelings from your personal tragedy you experienced.

But seeing how this is a message board, and not a court of law, we all are able to freely voice our opinions.

If he did what is alleged he did, he will have to pay for it. A very good friend of mine who has a nice business in Ft. Lauderdale had her son killed in a MVA down there under similar circumstances a few years ago. It really sucks.

what I'm freaking out at is people giving Leyritz the benefit of the doubt.

the facts are out there. he was tanked up and killed a 30 year old mother of 2. lock the murderer up for life in my opinion. but even that won't give the 12 year old girl & 5 year old boy their mother back.

All I *****ing said was that in America people are innocent until proven guilty. Calm the **** down. If Leyritz is guilty he should go to jail without a doubt.

All I *****ing said was that in America people are innocent until proven guilty. Calm the **** down. If Leyritz is guilty he should go to jail without a doubt.

You would think so wouldn't you, but I know a ton of sports fans out there that have that the other way around concerning Roger Clemens. He's guilty until proven innocent.

You would think so wouldn't you, but I know a ton of sports fans out there that have that the other way around concerning Roger Clemens. He's guilty until proven innocent.

That's certainly the way it works in the court of public opinion. Fortunately it doesn't work that way in actual courts.

How many people you folks know , work with , neighbors etc.. Drove new years at or above the legal limit for alcohol ? Probably more than you think. A lot of people can easily find themselves in a situation like this. Let's not get too holy with our comments. I know many of you tailgate and go to sports events. 2 beers in you and you can be thrown in jail. The laws in this country have to change.

even more good news on this tragedy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3177369

Funny how his defenders are avoiding your post. The guy should not have been driving period. His license was suspended in NY State because he didn't show up in court.

Just goes to show how bad the National Driver Registry is. His license suspension should have been placed on the national driver registry the moment he didn't show up in court.

Funny how his defenders are avoiding your post. The guy should not have been driving period. His license was suspended in NY State because he didn't show up in court.

Just goes to show how bad the National Driver Registry is. His license suspension should have been placed on the national driver registry the moment he didn't show up in court.

Defending what ? he had not been served with a suspension in Florida. His license was NOT suspended in Florida. It says it plain and simple in the article, that it isn't even suspended right now. The guy obviously doesn't make good choices because he didn't pay a simple ticket in NY, that can end up biting him in the ass. My question to you facist people is, what part of innocent til proven guilty do you not understand ? Should I go copy and paste sections of the US constitution ? He is NOT guilty until he goes to trial, or pleads guilty. You or I may think he is, but that doesn't hold up in a court of law. According to the story being told to the papers by his friends, it sure seems like he may be in for some jail time. That being said, I would dare say most people on this forum have driven at one time or another with a trace of alcohol in your system. If Leyrits is found guilty, he will most likely spend at least 10 years in the pokey.

Defending what ? he had not been served with a suspension in Florida. His license was NOT suspended in Florida. It says it plain and simple in the article, that it isn't even suspended right now. The guy obviously doesn't make good choices because he didn't pay a simple ticket in NY, that can end up biting him in the ass. My question to you facist people is, what part of innocent til proven guilty do you not understand ? Should I go copy and paste sections of the US constitution ? He is NOT guilty until he goes to trial, or pleads guilty. You or I may think he is, but that doesn't hold up in a court of law. According to the story being told to the papers by his friends, it sure seems like he may be in for some jail time. That being said, I would dare say most people on this forum have driven at one time or another with a trace of alcohol in your system. If Leyrits is found guilty, he will most likely spend at least 10 years in the pokey.

He license was suspend in NY state. Because they didn't report it to the Florida DMV he thought he could away with driving in Florida.

I would dare say most people on this forum have driven at one time or another with a trace of alcohol in your system.

What the hell is that? Are you attempting to justify his behavior?

What the hell is that? Are you attempting to justify his behavior?

The laws in this country have to be changed. .08 is not DRUNK. I am not justifying his behavior. I would like to see what his BAC was at the time of arrest. DUI's are a revenue generating source for every state. I asked a question that everyone should ask themselves before flapping their gums. It just so happened that Leyritz hit and killed someone. I will wait for his toxicology report to be released. Thank god this country has lawyers and laws. We don't live under facist rule like some of you want to impose. Unfortunately, people like Orenthal slip through the cracks and are set free sometimes. That being said there is still a judicial process.

The laws in this country have to be changed. .08 is not DRUNK. I am not justifying his behavior. I would like to see what his BAC was at the time of arrest. DUI's are a revenue generating source for every state. I asked a question that everyone should ask themselves before flapping their gums. It just so happened that Leyritz hit and killed someone. I will wait for his toxicology report to be released. Thank god this country has lawyers and laws. We don't live under facist rule like some of you want to impose. Unfortunately, people like Orenthal slip through the cracks and are set free sometimes. That being said there is still a judicial process.

Running a red light at 3 o'clock in the morning? Check. Suspended license? Check. Killing someone? Check. Property damage? Check.

Over the limit? We will find that out soon enough.

so if his BAC somes back .07 he should be set free?

he ran a red light and killed someone because of it. whether he was drunk or not he should be locked up for vehicular manslaughter. if his BAC comes back over the limit, he should spend the rest of his life locked up. just my opinion.

If the bac comes back .07 he should be charged with the appropriate vehicular violations. Not DUI. You can argue your opinion, and I can argue mine. That's all they are, opinions. In this country we guide ourselves by laws that are on the books. I may not agree with them, but that's how this country functions. We can't judge people based on our emotions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

************************* UPDATE *********************************************

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/sfl-leyrtiz-acquitted-in-fatal-dui-20101121,0,7368259.story

A jury in Florida on Saturday acquitted former major league baseball player Jim Leyritz of DUI manslaughter in a 2007 crash that killed a mother of two.

However, Leyritz was convicted on a misdemeanor charge of driving under the influence, which carries a maximum sentence of six months in jail. Leyritz had faced up to 15 years in prison if convicted on the manslaughter charge.

Sentencing was set for Nov. 29.

************************* UPDATE *********************************************

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/sfl-leyrtiz-acquitted-in-fatal-dui-20101121,0,7368259.story

A jury in Florida on Saturday acquitted former major league baseball player Jim Leyritz of DUI manslaughter in a 2007 crash that killed a mother of two.

However, Leyritz was convicted on a misdemeanor charge of driving under the influence, which carries a maximum sentence of six months in jail. Leyritz had faced up to 15 years in prison if convicted on the manslaughter charge.

Sentencing was set for Nov. 29.

One drunk driver kills another so I'm not as mad as I'd be if he'd killed a sober driver. The woman he killed could have easily killed him or somebody else being drunk herself. At the end of the day though, he took another persons life as a result of being drunk behind the wheel and this verdict is a joke.

Archived