Defensive lines impact

faba

If you watched the games yesterday Seahawks and Jaguars rushing only 4 guys were more often than not able to get to the QB with their athletes-that is what we need on the Jets!

Not to mention, these guys looked so much bigger and stronger than anyone on the Jets Dline.

Of Kerney's 3 nice plays, one was against a RB, one against a TE and one was one on one with a LT. He was hardly out there beating double teams. We are not going to get pressure from the DL alone running the 3-4. Once in a while maybe - but the defense is predicated on blitzing and confusing. It would be nice to get a OLB that would add an effective fourth rusher and be a good all around LB.

Of Kerney's 3 nice plays, one was against a RB, one against a TE and one was one on one with a LT. He was hardly out there beating double teams. We are not going to get pressure from the DL alone running the 3-4. Once in a while maybe - but the defense is predicated on blitzing and confusing. It would be nice to get a OLB that would add an effective fourth rusher and be a good all around LB.

The nicest play I saw was near the end of the game, he was double teamed and blew through it and dove and Knocked the ball loose as Collins was about to throw, and tacklin him at same time. Result incomplete pass, 4th down!

What's depressing is both teams have changed players over the years and still seem to adapt. Remember a few seasons back when the Jags were an up and coming team with a good defense and Leftwich at QB, Hugh Douglass and "The Beast" on defense and others. Now they have a new QB and plenty of other defensive players. THe Seahawks were known to have a defensive liability.

I am starting to worry because I see other teams adapt, replace, revamp and find ways to utilize the talent they have or don't have. I see the Jets continue to force the 3-4 without ever having the players for it. The Colts won a super bowl last year because of a great rushing attack and a defense that suddenly shut down people in the playoffs. They won this year because the defense became top notch and the offense dinked and dunked and ran alot. It seems teams in the NFL that consistently win find ways to utilize the talent they have, bring in new talent, while the Jets keep trying to force feed schemes down the teams throat that just don't work. Teams that adapt in the NFL seem to win.

I feel that way watching alot of teams. It is sad.

The NFL has become mostly bad teams and a couple of good teams. That is why when a team goes 4-12 it's really bad. The NFL has become parity at it' finest. Most teams suck but since most teams suck, an 8-8 record should be easier to obtain. Catch a break here and there and suddenly at 10-6 you have a shot at the playoffs.

Case in Point, the Bucs, Browns, Titans, Giants, Redskins, Seahawks, Vikings, Saints, Broncos, Bills, Texans, Steelers, Cardinals, and so on all had shots at the playoffs at one point this season. Some snuck in, some didn't. But most of those teams have a ton of weaknesses and aren't that good. When half the teams in the NFL have a shot at the playoffs and the Jets still go 4-12, it's not just a bad season, it's a disaster. The NFL isn't filled with 8 great teams and the Jets sure didn't play 12 great teams or have a ton of injuries for them to just win 4 games. Like I said in another post, teams that go 4-12 two out of three seasons in this league, are in trouble.

What's depressing is both teams have changed players over the years and still seem to adapt. Remember a few seasons back when the Jags were an up and coming team with a good defense and Leftwich at QB, Hugh Douglass and "The Beast" on defense and others. Now they have a new QB and plenty of other defensive players. THe Seahawks were known to have a defensive liability.

I am starting to worry because I see other teams adapt, replace, revamp and find ways to utilize the talent they have or don't have. I see the Jets continue to force the 3-4 without ever having the players for it. The Colts won a super bowl last year because of a great rushing attack and a defense that suddenly shut down people in the playoffs. They won this year because the defense became top notch and the offense dinked and dunked and ran alot. It seems teams in the NFL that consistently win find ways to utilize the talent they have, bring in new talent, while the Jets keep trying to force feed schemes down the teams throat that just don't work. Teams that adapt in the NFL seem to win.

So you think the Jets were better off playing a 4-3?

So you think the Jets were better off playing a 4-3?

Without a NT, maybe so. At least we knew Vilma was decent in the 4-3. He is useless in the 3-4. The defense improved at the end of the year, but who knows if it was because other teams were tired, the cold weather or the Jets improved. The same thing happened last season and it mattered nothing for the start of this season.

If they start out next season and the defense stinks again, something needs to be changed. You can't go 8+ games having a bad defense and a bad offense and then hope you can turn it on in the second half.

Without a NT, maybe so. At least we knew Vilma was decent in the 4-3. He is useless in the 3-4. The defense improved at the end of the year, but who knows if it was because other teams were tired, the cold weather or the Jets improved. The same thing happened last season and it mattered nothing for the start of this season.

If they start out next season and the defense stinks again, something needs to be changed. You can't go 8+ games having a bad defense and a bad offense and then hope you can turn it on in the second half.

You still need a run stuffing NT in a 4-3 and Vilma sucked just as bad in the 4-3 in 2005. A 4-3 is not the solution when your personel is this bad thanks to big moves made by a previous regime.

You still need a run stuffing NT in a 4-3 and Vilma sucked just as bad in the 4-3 in 2005. A 4-3 is not the solution when your personel is this bad thanks to big moves made by a previous regime.

Stop with the excuses about the old regime. This regime is going on year 3. At some point people need to stop blaming previous regimes and blame this regime.

Last year it was "Mangini did a great job with what he had.." This season it's "Herm Edwards and Bradway screwed this team over."

Last time I checked, over half the offense is Mangini's players, not Herm's. Yet the offense still sucks.

Stop with the excuses about the old regime. This regime is going on year 3. At some point people need to stop blaming previous regimes and blame this regime.

Last year it was "Mangini did a great job with what he had.." This season it's "Herm Edwards and Bradway screwed this team over."

Last time I checked, over half the offense is Mangini's players, not Herm's. Yet the offense still sucks.

Go and read up on what is required to even run a 4-3, then get back to us.

Go and read up on what is required to even run a 4-3, then get back to us.

Go and read what is required for a 3-4 and get back to us. So far going into year 3 the Jets don't have the players needed for a 3-4. So go and defend your lovers even more.

Go and read what is required for a 3-4 and get back to us. So far going into year 3 the Jets don't have the players needed for a 3-4. So go and defend your lovers even more.

They have two pieces that don't belong in the 3-4. They are missing about 5 from a 4-3 includind a good DE which is very hard to find and even if found, it is expensive.

They have two pieces that don't belong in the 3-4. They are missing about 5 from a 4-3 includind a good DE which is very hard to find and even if found, it is expensive.

Yeah you are saying that now...yet nobody said that the first 8 games of the season. I hope they start out strong next year, but over the past two seasons, they've started out poorly. Their DL still stinks. So you might say they only need a couple of players but last time I counted, they have no real pass rusher, no real run stopper, they need another CB, another LB, another safety. Saying this defense only needs 2 more players kind of sounds like you missed the season.

there are mor intangibles with running the 3-4. I like it better. It confuses QB's. Let's fill the voids this offseason and let it roll!

To me the difference from last year to this is BT. He was on his way to being a monster last year, looked like he finally fit. It was all a disguise!

Yeah you are saying that now...yet nobody said that the first 8 games of the season. I hope they start out strong next year, but over the past two seasons, they've started out poorly. Their DL still stinks. So you might say they only need a couple of players but last time I counted, they have no real pass rusher, no real run stopper, they need another CB, another LB, another safety. Saying this defense only needs 2 more players kind of sounds like you missed the season.

I don't think it was the coaching that made the difference over the last half of the season. I think it was Harris that did. The coaching was bad the whole season, except in the secondary. The front 7 played poorly until Harris came along. We still need a NT and another LB. If we get two impact players there we won't need DB help.

I didn't miss the season, you are just unaware of how this defense or any defense for that matter works. The Jets will go out and get better guys for the front 7 they will improve their DB's by improving their front 7. Look at the corners the Pats have won with. That is because anyone can bump a WR and play the flats when they have the kind of push NE does.

there are mor intangibles with running the 3-4. I like it better. It confuses QB's. Let's fill the voids this offseason and let it roll!

To me the difference from last year to this is BT. He was on his way to being a monster last year, looked like he finally fit. It was all a disguise!

I thought the defense improved a lot over the second half of this year. But the same thing could be said last year. Regardless they still didn't get much pressure on the QB and they really still couldn't stop the run. And there were quite a few games where they needed to come up with a big stop and failed to do so. With a few moves here and there though, the defense should improve. They just need to learn how to do it for 16 games and not the last 8.

The offense is another story. This years offense was worse than the 2005 Brooks led half injury riddled team. How do they improve it? Yeah add some OL, but will it really matter if the WR can't get open and the QB keeps turning the ball over? I have far more concerns about the offense than I do the defense at this point. Even though the defense struggles, you don't win many games when your offense struggles to score 10 points.

I thought the defense improved a lot over the second half of this year. But the same thing could be said last year. Regardless they still didn't get much pressure on the QB and they really still couldn't stop the run. And there were quite a few games where they needed to come up with a big stop and failed to do so. With a few moves here and there though, the defense should improve. They just need to learn how to do it for 16 games and not the last 8.

The offense is another story. This years offense was worse than the 2005 Brooks led half injury riddled team. How do they improve it? Yeah add some OL, but will it really matter if the WR can't get open and the QB keeps turning the ball over? I have far more concerns about the offense than I do the defense at this point. Even though the defense struggles, you don't win many games when your offense struggles to score 10 points.

The D blew alot of leads. We were in almost every game.

and the reason for the better play second half of the season, David Harris! He doesn't get pushed around like Vilma!

You don't remember 2005 if you think this offense was worse. That offense was Kotitian.

I don't think it was the coaching that made the difference over the last half of the season. I think it was Harris that did. The coaching was bad the whole season, except in the secondary. The front 7 played poorly until Harris came along. We still need a NT and another LB. If we get two impact players there we won't need DB help.

I didn't miss the season, you are just unaware of how this defense or any defense for that matter works. The Jets will go out and get better guys for the front 7 they will improve their DB's by improving their front 7. Look at the corners the Pats have won with. That is because anyone can bump a WR and play the flats when they have the kind of push NE does.

So who is throwing insults now. Yeah I guess your the expert and everybody else is an idiot yet you're the same guy who claims Clarke is a good OL. Go figure. But I'll give your claim that you know about defenses. You sure don't seem to have a clue about offenses or OL.

You don't remember 2005 if you think this offense was worse. That offense was Kotitian.

Like I said did you watch this season? They could barely score 10 points every game. I'm sorry but it seems like you missed the season. The 2005 season sucked, but this season was worse cause they had no injuries and they were supposed to be an improved bunch.

When half your team is out due to injuries and the coach has his mind on another job and your 3rd string QB is starting most of the season, it's not out of the norm that the team would suck.

What's the excuse for this season?

Like I said did you watch this season? They could barely score 10 points every game. I'm sorry but it seems like you missed the season. The 2005 season sucked, but this season was worse cause they had no injuries and they were supposed to be an improved bunch.

When half your team is out due to injuries and the coach has his mind on another job and your 3rd string QB is starting most of the season, it's not out of the norm that the team would suck.

We were down to our 3rd string QB because our great OL like Fabini and your other boy Kendall got the first two killed.

Both lines, plain and simple.

Like I said before we HAD the lead in several games at the begining of the year and our D let the other teams back in in the 3 rd qtr by getting run all over, even by back ups. Forcing Chad to try to come from behind, thus resultin in int's and pic six's

So who is throwing insults now. Yeah I guess your the expert and everybody else is an idiot yet you're the same guy who claims Clarke is a good OL. Go figure. But I'll give your claim that you know about defenses. You sure don't seem to have a clue about offenses or OL.

We shall see. I don't like Clarke much either, I just don't think there is as huge of a dropoff between him and Kendall as you do.

We shall see. I don't like Clarke much either, I just don't think there is as huge of a dropoff between him and Kendall as you do.

Kendall was avg last year. Clarke was horrible this year. While you are right that Kendall is not that good, Clarke is a guy who shouldn't even be on a practice squad.

All I know is the Colts had 4 different OL starting this season compared to last season, which included an all pro OL and still found ways to win while the Jets lost an avg player in Kendall and couldn't recover. That says something about the way your FO and coaching staff add and replace players.

Kendall was avg last year. Clarke was horrible this year. While you are right that Kendall is not that good, Clarke is a guy who shouldn't even be on a practice squad.

All I know is the Colts had 4 different OL starting this season compared to last season, which included an all pro OL and still found ways to win while the Jets lost an avg player in Kendall and couldn't recover. That says something about the way your FO and coaching staff add and replace players.

Well the Kendal thing developed late IIRC so drafting a replacement was kind of out of the question and so was grabbing one of the better FA's. If you look at the Pats they NEVER give in to this no matter what and this offense had bigger problems than just guard last year.

Well the Kendal thing developed late IIRC so drafting a replacement was kind of out of the question and so was grabbing one of the better FA's. If you look at the Pats they NEVER give in to this no matter what and this offense had bigger problems than just guard last year.

The Kendall thing was known before the draft. He wanted more money. They weren't going to pay him. He did something similar years ago. Call it a rookie mistake or whatever, those things should have be taken care of long before it went public.

Both Kendall looked like an idiot and the Jets looked stupid. They should have just dealt with the matter back in April or March when they could have taken care of it without the press and the problems. Instead they acted too arrogant and in the end, the Jets OL looked like a joke and go into year 3 needing more help than they needed going into year 2.

The Kendall thing was known before the draft. He wanted more money. They weren't going to pay him. He did something similar years ago. Call it a rookie mistake or whatever, those things should have be taken care of long before it went public.

Both Kendall looked like an idiot and the Jets looked stupid. They should have just dealt with the matter back in April or March when they could have taken care of it without the press and the problems. Instead they acted too arrogant and in the end, the Jets OL looked like a joke and go into year 3 needing more help than they needed going into year 2.

That is a good point. But the WR's and other OL contributed to this offense looking like a joke. There were still not many options last year. I would not give Revies or Harris back for a guard in the draft.

Archived