school bans ice cream

johnny green balls

kids can't even have an ice cream cone once a week anymore. maybe if schools focused on teaching rather than taking feel-good positions we wouldn't be losing ground to every other industrialized nations' students. i'd like to see a school ban illiteracy or ban passing students who fail to meet minimum competency for their grade level. maybe the reasons are kids are so fat is that schools are also afraid to let the little dumplings outside to play because it might foster "competitiveness" (can't have that) or--god forbid--a scraped knee.

Greenwich, Conn. School Bans Desserts

Principal Tired Of Seeing Healthy Lunches Thrown Away

Cindy Hsu GREENWICH, Conn. (CBS) ― More and more children are now facing obesity and Type-2 diabetes, so how do we get our kids to eat healthy, especially when they're not at home?

As CBS 2 HD recently found out, there's a school in Greenwich that's trying to change the trend by banning certain food.

When asked if his mother was to allow him to eat any foods he wanted, what he would eat, 8-year-old James Budkins didn't hesitate.

"Ice cream, bacon and fries," he said.

When asked what his favorite food is, 10-year-old Willie Budkins pulled no punches.

"Cookies, ice cream," he said.

Not in this cafeteria.

Glenville School in Greenwich is trying to turn things around, starting this year ice cream and cookies are no longer sold in the cafeteria. Instead they have fruit and yogurt as an option.

Parents were doing their best, sending their kids to school with healthy lunches or hoping they'd make decent choices if they were buying lunch at school. But when cookies and ice cream were offered two days a week, things changed in a hurry.

"I was seeing children racing to get in line, abandoning their lunch, to get to the cookies to get to the ice cream," PTA co-president Alicia Budkins said. "So hopefully that won't happen anymore. They'll sit down eat their good lunch, and then they'll go outside and play."

While a lot of parents love the idea, you can imagine how the kids feel.

"All the kids, especially all the boys in the 5th grade were shouting, 'we want ice cream, we want ice cream,'" 10-year-old Andrew Gilbert said.

Principal Marc D'Amico said he was tired of seeing healthy lunches thrown in the garbage, so kids could get to the sweet stuff, and says his new policy is fighting more than childhood obesity.

"When children have nutritionally sound lunches and breakfasts, they're better able to focus during the school day and their concentration levels are higher," D'Amico said.

While a lot of kids miss the treats, some are slowly coming around.

"I sort of wish we still had it, but what I do like about is it's getting kids to eat healthier," Gilbert said.

And that's the lesson teachers are hoping will last a lifetime.

Parents can pack anything they want in their kids' lunch, but they've all received the school's wellness policy that encourages them to go for healthy snacks.

http://wcbstv.com/local/glenville.school.greenwich.2.626542.html

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its a good moe. More and more schools need to focus on what kids eat. It is a step in the right direction

My kid is in 5th grade and the teachers want them to bring in snacks everyday for snack time. Like lunch isnt enough anymore, they take time to feed kids in a class room as well. If I want my kids to eat all day, I would keep them home and shove doughnuts in their faces. They need to focus more on learning than eating in schools.

I think its a good moe. More and more schools need to focus on what kids eat. It is a step in the right direction

My kid is in 5th grade and the teachers want them to bring in snacks everyday for snack time. Like lunch isnt enough anymore, they take time to feed kids in a class room as well. If I want my kids to eat all day, I would keep them home and shove doughnuts in their faces. They need to focus more on learning than eating in schools.

parents, not society, have the responsibility to teach their children healthy habits. it's the damn selfish baby boomers who think they are free to go to their yoga and spinning classes rather than raise their children because little chloe will learn life lessons by the state in school. it isn't about what's best for the kids, it's about what's best to assuage parental guilt.

Its all about obesity in children.But they fail to mention the fact that most obese kids these days go home to computers or video games.These kids do not participate in organized sports.The parents too career minded or busy to cook feed them fast food and frozen micro waved junk.Its not about the little snack in school or the ice cream poor excuse for a big problem.

Its all about obesity in children.But they fail to mention the fact that most obese kids these days go home to computers or video games.Thsey do nat participate in organized sports.The parents too career minded or busy to cook feed them fast food and frozen micro waved junk.Its not about the little snack in school or the ice cream poor excuse for a big problem.

thank you. good habits start at home. if the parents are selfish and have no time for their kids, the school isn't going to be able to rectify that. it takes a PARENT to raise a child not a damn village.

kids can't even have an ice cream cone once a week anymore. maybe if schools focused on teaching rather than taking feel-good positions we wouldn't be losing ground to every other industrialized nations' students. i'd like to see a school ban illiteracy or ban passing students who fail to meet minimum competency for their grade level. maybe the reasons are kids are so fat is that schools are also afraid to let the little dumplings outside to play because it might foster "competitiveness" (can't have that) or--god forbid--a scraped knee.

Greenwich, Conn. School Bans Desserts

Principal Tired Of Seeing Healthy Lunches Thrown Away

Cindy Hsu GREENWICH, Conn. (CBS) ― More and more children are now facing obesity and Type-2 diabetes, so how do we get our kids to eat healthy, especially when they're not at home?

As CBS 2 HD recently found out, there's a school in Greenwich that's trying to change the trend by banning certain food.

When asked if his mother was to allow him to eat any foods he wanted, what he would eat, 8-year-old James Budkins didn't hesitate.

"Ice cream, bacon and fries," he said.

When asked what his favorite food is, 10-year-old Willie Budkins pulled no punches.

"Cookies, ice cream," he said.

Not in this cafeteria.

Glenville School in Greenwich is trying to turn things around, starting this year ice cream and cookies are no longer sold in the cafeteria. Instead they have fruit and yogurt as an option.

Parents were doing their best, sending their kids to school with healthy lunches or hoping they'd make decent choices if they were buying lunch at school. But when cookies and ice cream were offered two days a week, things changed in a hurry.

"I was seeing children racing to get in line, abandoning their lunch, to get to the cookies to get to the ice cream," PTA co-president Alicia Budkins said. "So hopefully that won't happen anymore. They'll sit down eat their good lunch, and then they'll go outside and play."

While a lot of parents love the idea, you can imagine how the kids feel.

"All the kids, especially all the boys in the 5th grade were shouting, 'we want ice cream, we want ice cream,'" 10-year-old Andrew Gilbert said.

Principal Marc D'Amico said he was tired of seeing healthy lunches thrown in the garbage, so kids could get to the sweet stuff, and says his new policy is fighting more than childhood obesity.

"When children have nutritionally sound lunches and breakfasts, they're better able to focus during the school day and their concentration levels are higher," D'Amico said.

While a lot of kids miss the treats, some are slowly coming around.

"I sort of wish we still had it, but what I do like about is it's getting kids to eat healthier," Gilbert said.

And that's the lesson teachers are hoping will last a lifetime.

Parents can pack anything they want in their kids' lunch, but they've all received the school's wellness policy that encourages them to go for healthy snacks.

http://wcbstv.com/local/glenville.school.greenwich.2.626542.html

who gives a ****?

let them ban ice cream, let them not ban ice cream, who really cares.

i always love hearing people who say, o my god we're losing ground, wah wah wah, the kids arent competitive, wah wah wah wah.

who gives a ****?

who gives a ****?

let them ban ice cream, let them not ban ice cream, who really cares.

i always love hearing people who say, o my god we're losing ground, wah wah wah, the kids arent competitive, wah wah wah wah.

who gives a ****?

you said you're younger than 21, making you a product of this feel good b.s. and your attitude is exactly why things need to change.

you said you're younger than 21, making you a product of this feel good b.s. and your attitude is exactly why things need to change.

no, its just i dont worry about stupid **** like that. what the hell difference does it make if they ban ice cream? does it really matter in the grand scheme of life? no. does it really matter in the grand scheme of life in they're telling their kids to beat the everloving **** out of each other every second because you think that that will boost their "competitiveness," and in turn save civilization? no, it doesnt matter.

no, its just i dont worry about stupid **** like that. what the hell difference does it make if they ban ice cream? does it really matter in the grand scheme of life? no. does it really matter in the grand scheme of life in they're telling their kids to beat the everloving **** out of each other every second because you think that that will boost their "competitiveness," and in turn save civilization? no, it doesnt matter.

you're so enlightened. let me know what you think when your food stops magically appearing on a plate at 5:15 every night.

you're so enlightened. let me know what you think when your food stops magically appearing on a plate at 5:15 every night.

i'll let you know exactly what i think when food magically stops appearing on a plate at 5:15 every night, and im sure it'll have NOTHING to do with the "competitiveness" that i experienced at the schools of been to. but thanks for asking

i'll let you know exactly what i think when food magically stops appearing on a plate at 5:15 every night, and im sure it'll have NOTHING to do with the "competitiveness" that i experienced at the schools of been to. but thanks for asking

do you mind if i print this out as an exhibit to show to the local PTA president why we need to teach students how to formulate an argument properly?

parents, not society, have the responsibility to teach their children healthy habits. it's the damn selfish baby boomers who think they are free to go to their yoga and spinning classes rather than raise their children because little chloe will learn life lessons by the state in school. it isn't about what's best for the kids, it's about what's best to assuage parental guilt.

Great post Johnny. I agree 100%.

Kids nowadays grow up with both parents working. back in the day :1cry: , we older folks usually had their Mom at home most of the time, and we used to eat dinner together. I don't think that happens anymore at all. it's a total break down of the family.

and another thing, instead of having the opportunity to teach a real lesson: MODERATION, the school simply removes the temptation. i'm telling ya, you have to teach kids how to make smart choices, not just remove any and all opportunity to make choices.

we're creating a generation that has never lost at t-ball and never had to control their desires at a young age. eventually, they become adults and they don't know how to handle life.

It makes a difference because it's a school's responsibility to educate children, not dictate what they are going to eat. Let the parents be responsible for what their kids eat. If schools want to take an active part in combating childhood obesity, maybe they should focus their efforts on improving their physical education courses, which are generally nothing less than pathetic.

Great post Johnny. I agree 100%.

Kids nowadays grow up with both parents working. back in the day :1cry: , we older folks usually had their Mom at home most of the time, and we used to eat dinner together. I don't think that happens anymore at all. it's a total break down of the family.

I totally agree with your statement here BP. It's unfortunate that a household can not sustain on a "one parent" income, but that's the way the system is set up and millions feed into it. Most (if not all) of today's social issues stem from the lack of family interaction.

Although, I get the feeling at times that adults enter marriage and parenthood with visions of picnics and playdates, when in fact, it's a lot of work. I only get about 1 1/2 hours with my kids by the time I get home, but I focus all my attention on them until their bedtime. And of course I slip my wife the coktail wiener as well.

and another thing, instead of having the opportunity to teach a real lesson: MODERATION, the school simply removes the temptation. i'm telling ya, you have to teach kids how to make smart choices, not just remove any and all opportunity to make choices.

we're creating a generation that has never lost at t-ball and never had to control their desires at a young age. eventually, they become adults and they don't know how to handle life.

this is the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

and im not enlightened? you're the one arguing about an elementary school banning ice cream, when theres hunger and poverty and all sorts of **** like that rampant in the world we live in.

when the book "How i fixed world hunger and poverty, and cured cancer," by Johnny Green Balls comes out, then i'll accept the fact that you're more enlightened than me. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. maybe you can do something constructive about it and organize a big picket with the kids and stand outside the school with signs, until they give the ice cream back! and then you can push really hard for schools to extend recess by 5 mins, and maybe then we'll start getting ahead of other countries!!!!!

and im not enlightened? you're the one arguing about an elementary school banning ice cream, when theres hunger and poverty and all sorts of **** like that rampant in the world we live in.

Seriously, I don't think Mr. Green Balls is arguing exclusively about the ice cream. If you have been reading his posts, it's more of a commentary on where we are going as a society/culture. Do you honestly want to live in a country where "big brother" decides what is best for you?

Seriously, I don't think Mr. Green Balls is arguing exclusively about the ice cream. If you have been reading his posts, it's more of a commentary on where we are going as a society/culture. Do you honestly want to live in a country where "big brother" decides what is best for you?

i understand that he's arguing about more than just ice cream. so again, here's another proposition.

to all of you "the country's goin down the tubes cuz we dont have street brawling at recess and cuz the kids these days are so soft and wah wah wah wah wah wah and we're falling behind wah wah wah wah, all the other countries are getting ahead, but we fall behind because we're so soft wah wah wah wah wah wah," here's the only suggestion i can give you:

MOVE TO THE COUNTRIES THAT ARE SO BETTER BECAUSE THEY'RE GETTING AHEAD BECAUSE THEY AREN'T SOFT AND WE'RE SOFT, SO THAT WAY I WONT HAVE TO READ ABOUT SCHOOLS BANNING ICE CREAM, AND YOUR SUBSEQUENT OPINIONS ON HOW TO SAVE THE WORLD, ON A ****ING JETS MESSAGEBOARD

i understand that he's arguing about more than just ice cream. so again, here's another proposition.

to all of you "the country's goin down the tubes cuz we dont have street brawling at recess and cuz the kids these days are so soft and wah wah wah wah wah wah and we're falling behind wah wah wah wah, all the other countries are getting ahead, but we fall behind because we're so soft wah wah wah wah wah wah," here's the only suggestion i can give you:

MOVE TO THE COUNTRIES THAT ARE SO BETTER BECAUSE THEY'RE GETTING AHEAD BECAUSE THEY AREN'T SOFT AND WE'RE SOFT, SO THAT WAY I WONT HAVE TO READ ABOUT SCHOOLS BANNING ICE CREAM, AND YOUR SUBSEQUENT OPINIONS ON HOW TO SAVE THE WORLD, ON A ****ING JETS MESSAGEBOARD

Hey 16, you're proving Johnnys point, emphatically. without even knowing it.

:rl:

332184b.jpg332184b.jpg332184b.jpg

Good stuff.

Hey 16, you're proving Johnnys point, emphatically. without even knowing it.

:rl:

no Bill!

i thought about this in great detail as i was eating dinner tonight, and came to the conclusion that 1 elementary school banning ice cream really doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of life.

now, if i attended that school, i'd be pissed that there was no ice cream, no doubt.

no Bill!

i thought about this in great detail as i was eating dinner tonight, and came to the conclusion that 1 elementary school banning ice cream really doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of life.

now, if i attended that school, i'd be pissed that there was no ice cream, no doubt.

Yes it does. it's called setting a precedent, do you know what that means?

no Bill!

All it takes is one school, then another school, then a third, then a school district, then another.

Before you know it, ice cream has been prohibited in 37 states, and calls for a federal ban on it.

Never, EVER underestimate the power of the Health N*zis.

Yes it does. it's called setting a precedent, do you know what that means?

yeah, i know what it means.

it means, if im a kid attending that school, im pissed because theres no ice cream now. it also means, if im the rest of the world, bitching about how far behind our country is falling behind others, i need to get a life because im actually arguing about this with strangers on the internet, when the world faces problems like hunger, poverty, cancer, aids, etc, and im worried about a school banning ice cream and worried that we dont have enough steel cage matches in recess to really get them kids'es competitiveness up!!!!!!!

All it takes is one school, then another school, then a third, then a school district, then another.

Before you know it, ice cream has been prohibited in 37 states, and calls for a federal ban on it.

Never, EVER underestimate the power of the Health N*zis.

well, maybe it'll set a precedent, maybe not, who knows. i know in my high school, there weren't any soda machines, and i personally live on soda. pissed me off, sure, but, life goes on.

to cite "school banning ice cream" as "reason for U.S. to be falling behind other countries," is "retarded."

plain and simple

yeah, i know what it means.

it means, if im a kid attending that school, im pissed because theres no ice cream now. it also means, if im the rest of the world, bitching about how far behind our country is falling behind others, i need to get a life because im actually arguing about this with strangers on the internet, when the world faces problems like hunger, poverty, cancer, aids, etc, and im worried about a school banning ice cream and worried that we dont have enough steel cage matches in recess to really get them kids'es competitiveness up!!!!!!!

You know dude, if you don't like the subject, or think it's stupid, you do have a choice of not clicking on the thread rather than trying to shove your sole opinion down everybody's throat.

You're a little annoyed because you're a youngin, it's ok. when you get into the real world, get back to me.

You know dude, if you don't like the subject, or think it's stupid, you do have a choice of not clicking on the thread rather than trying to shove your sole opinion down everybody's throat.

You're a little annoyed because you're a youngin, it's ok. when you get into the real world, get back to me.

true, i didnt have to click on the thread, but i just felt it was necessary to point out how ridiculous it is to say how banning ice cream in one school is adding up to us "falling behind other countries." to that i say, move to the other country that is so much better than us that johnny green balls loves so much. to that, you and johnny green balls will say to me, well, if you think the thread is so stupid, dont click on it or respond to it. to that, i will tell johnny green balls, im still going to click on it and respond to it, just like he's going to keep making the threads, and im going to keep telling him how stupid making threads like school bans ice cream is, because, it's stupid.

game.

set.

match.

true, i didnt have to click on the thread, but i just felt it was necessary to point out how ridiculous it is to say how banning ice cream in one school is adding up to us "falling behind other countries." to that i say, move to the other country that is so much better than us that johnny green balls loves so much. to that, you and johnny green balls will say to me, well, if you think the thread is so stupid, dont click on it or respond to it. to that, i will tell johnny green balls, im still going to click on it and respond to it, just like he's going to keep making the threads, and im going to keep telling him how stupid making threads like school bans ice cream is, because it's stupid.

game.

set.

match.

You're a 19 year old kid in college that knows jack **** about the real world. explain to me why anybody shouldn't take your opinion on this with a grain of salt?

You're a 19 year old kid in college that knows jack **** about the real world. explain to me why anybody shouldn't take your opinion on this with a grain of salt?

a better question would be, why not not take my opinion with a grain of salt?

now, if you guys will excuse me, i've had enough of this thread, and have to play video games and watch tv for the rest of the night

well, maybe it'll set a precedent, maybe not, who knows. i know in my high school, there weren't any soda machines, and i personally live on soda. pissed me off, sure, but, life goes on.

to cite "school banning ice cream" as "reason for U.S. to be falling behind other countries," is "retarded."

plain and simple

Where has it been cited as a reason. I think it's being held up as an example. The purpose of schools was to educate people, help give them the skills and knowledge to survive in the real world. These days schools seem more concerned about everything but education.

Look what's happened here in the UK. The past few years, schools have not only been trying to force kids to eat healthily, but also cutting down on sports (the excuse they use is health and safety grounds). The result? Standards are plummeting. Your average 11 year old is about the level of a 9 year old American, and it's getting worse. As a result, in a few years time, the UK will be suffering from a huge void in the skilled labour market.

Where has it been cited as a reason. I think it's being held up as an example. The purpose of schools was to educate people, help give them the skills and knowledge to survive in the real world. These days schools seem more concerned about everything but education.

Look what's happened here in the UK. The past few years, schools have not only been trying to force kids to eat healthily, but also cutting down on sports (the excuse they use is health and safety grounds). The result? Standards are plummeting. Your average 11 year old is about the level of a 9 year old American, and it's getting worse. As a result, in a few years time, the UK will be suffering from a huge void in the skilled labour market.

see Johnny- we're better off than the UK, so keep banning ice cream i say!!!!!!!!

when the book "How i fixed world hunger and poverty, and cured cancer," by Johnny Green Balls comes out, then i'll accept the fact that you're more enlightened than me. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. maybe you can do something constructive about it and organize a big picket with the kids and stand outside the school with signs, until they give the ice cream back! and then you can push really hard for schools to extend recess by 5 mins, and maybe then we'll start getting ahead of other countries!!!!!

The point trying to be made here is that the schools are being more and more used as a tool to try and solve problems they arent capable of solving. Its not their job to worry about child obesity, its their job to give a child an adequate education. They are not pushing for the children to "get ahead of other countries" with superior education retention, they are bogged down in this whole "PC-diversity-noone fails" whitewash to give them that real education anymore. To actually be concerned with a childs health is one thing, but to think the schools need to worry about how much little Johnnys calorie intake is then thats overstepping the education systems structure a bunch.

Archived