Looks like Mets may also get Lohse

SouthernJet

In the meantime, there are signs that the Mets continue to express interest in free-agent pitcher Kyle Lohse. Lohse was viewed, essentially, as the Mets' backup plan in case they weren't able to trade for Santana. But when one baseball man who had spoken with Mets GM Omar Minaya was asked if the club could end up with both Santana and Lohse, the reply was: "Absolutely."

In the meantime, there are signs that the Mets continue to express interest in free-agent pitcher Kyle Lohse. Lohse was viewed, essentially, as the Mets' backup plan in case they weren't able to trade for Santana. But when one baseball man who had spoken with Mets GM Omar Minaya was asked if the club could end up with both Santana and Lohse, the reply was: "Absolutely."

Well, where does that leave El Duque and Pelfrey then? Does not make sense on its own.

Of course, the Mets do lose Pedro next season, and I believe that Perez needs to be signed.

I can't believe the Mets are trying to buy a Championship. They are following the Patriots model. I am glad the team I root for believes in building from within.

Honestly, it'll be interesting to see what the Yankees do NEXT year in free agency. If the kids pan out and there's no need for a wild spending spree, they're due to have something in the neighborhood of $70 million in salary come off the books with the likes of Giambi, Pettitte, Farnsworh and some others expiring.

Honestly, it'll be interesting to see what the Yankees do NEXT year in free agency. If the kids pan out and there's no need for a wild spending spree, they're due to have something in the neighborhood of $70 million in salary come off the books with the likes of Giambi, Pettitte, Farnsworh and some others expiring.

so that would drop them from 1st to 2nd??? :D

there goes the philosophy of buying championships,,only 2nd highest spender :bwahaharoll:

2007 clear.gifTeamTotal payroll

1- New York Yankees $ 189,639,045

2- Boston Red Sox $ 143,026,214

3- New York Mets $ 115,231,663

4- Los Angeles Angels $ 109,251,333

so that would drop them from 1st to 2nd??? :D

there goes the philosophy of buying championships,,only 2nd highest spender :bwahaharoll:

2007 clear.gifTeamTotal payroll

1- New York Yankees $ 189,639,045

2- Boston Red Sox $ 143,026,214

3- New York Mets $ 115,231,663

4- Los Angeles Angels $ 109,251,333

If the Yanks shed $70 they could come in 3rd behind the lowly Mets (depending on what they give Johan) and poor house Red Sox. How those teams are able to compete on such meager revenue is to be commended. I just think it would be nice to hear all the Mets/Sox fans spin the "riddiculous payroll" argument when they can't complain about those mean old Yankees anymore. Sure would've been nice if they'd have let A-Rod walk and replace him with somebody who resembles an adequate baseball player in the post season.

At the same time though, I wouldn't be shocked if the Yanks shed 70 and find a way to spend around 50 to stay atop the MLB payroll scale.

EDIT: Just looked up the salaries of Yankees who will no longer be under contract next season

Giambi 23.5 mil

Mussina 11 mil

Pavano 10 mil

Farnsworth 5.6 mil

Hawkins 3.25 mil

Abrue 16 mil

Pettitte 19 mil

Total of $89.3 million off the books (dead weight in bold)

Minus Damons 13 million the following season. Over $100 million that I hope will be spent much wiser in teh future (extending the good young players, promoting from within, no more acquiring over the hill/roiders)

If the Yanks shed $70 they could come in 3rd behind the lowly Mets (depending on what they give Johan) and poor house Red Sox. How those teams are able to compete on such meager revenue is to be commended. I just think it would be nice to hear all the Mets/Sox fans spin the "riddiculous payroll" argument when they can't complain about those mean old Yankees anymore. Sure would've been nice if they'd have let A-Rod walk and replace him with somebody who resembles an adequate baseball player in the post season.

At the same time though, I wouldn't be shocked if the Yanks shed 70 and find a way to spend around 50 to stay atop the MLB payroll scale.

EDIT: Just looked up the salaries of Yankees who will no longer be under contract next season

Giambi 23.5 mil

Mussina 11 mil

Pavano 10 mil

Farnsworth 5.6 mil

Hawkins 3.25 mil

Abrue 16 mil

Pettitte 19 mil

Total of $89.3 million off the books (dead weight in bold)

Minus Damons 13 million the following season. Over $100 million that I hope will be spent much wiser in teh future (extending the good young players, promoting from within, no more acquiring over the hill/roiders)

hahahaha

OK, same point,,from 1st to third ..it wasnt a mets vs yanks post,,it was a spending post..

there goes the philosophy of buying championships,,only 3rd highest spender :bwahaharoll:

hahahaha

OK, same point,,from 1st to third ..it wasnt a mets vs yanks post,,it was a spending post..

there goes the philosophy of buying championships,,only 3rd highest spender :bwahaharoll:

second or third highest is fine with me as long as I don't have to listen to Mets/Sox fans cry poverty every time the yankees make a trade. Also, if the Yanks let Cashman continue to build from within, the Yanks could be 5th or 6th within the next two seasons. May not seem like much, but I'm sure we won't hear as much crying then about spending in baseball as we do now. People don't hate the Yankees for spending as much as they pretend to. They hate them because fans always hate teams that dominate for long periods of time and who has done that more than the Yankees?

second or third highest is fine with me as long as I don't have to listen to Mets/Sox fans cry poverty every time the yankees make a trade. Also, if the Yanks let Cashman continue to build from within, the Yanks could be 5th or 6th within the next two seasons. May not seem like much, but I'm sure we won't hear as much crying then about spending in baseball as we do now. People don't hate the Yankees for spending as much as they pretend to. They hate them because fans always hate teams that dominate for long periods of time and who has done that more than the Yankees?

i am a firm beleiver in out spending the opposition,, its fine by me,,,

I actually feels sorry for teams with no cash,,

but i like being a fan of a team that plays in free agent pool,,

spend more is my motto :D

i am a firm beleiver in out spending the opposition,, its fine by me,,,

I actually feels sorry for teams with no cash,,

but i like being a fan of a team that plays in free agent pool,,

spend more is my motto :D

Mine is "spend wisely"...when you look at the virtual piles of **** on the Yankees roster you come up with almost 100 million in salary. That's sickening to me as a fan of any team. The players that actually matter to the Yankees at this point are probably around 100 mil in salary and the rest is a bunch of guys stealing money.

Yanks haven't dominated since 2000. When your payroll is annually anywhere from 70 to 100 million above everyone else you are supposed to make the play-offs.

What they have done the past 3 post seasons is a embarrasment at the payroll that they are at. Met fans admitted as much when we collapsed last season......you need to do the same.

Yanks haven't dominated since 2000. When your payroll is annually anywhere from 70 to 100 million above everyone else you are supposed to make the play-offs.

What they have done the past 3 post seasons is a embarrasment at the payroll that they are at. Met fans admitted as much when we collapsed last season......you need to do the same.

Where in my post did I say that the Yankees have dominated since 2000? I didn't so thanks for putting words in my mouth.

In addition I've been one of the Yankee fans on the board that has been very critical of the lack of results the've gotten with all the money they spend and have no rings to show for it. I've been saying for years that they need to acquire some good young role players who know how to bunt, move a runner over, hit and run, etc...

The money this team has spent has been a joke which is why I'm pointing out how much payroll they're about to shed and hoping they don't blow it all on worthless one dimensional players or over the hill 40 something pitchers like Johnson or Mussina.

Where in my post did I say that the Yankees have dominated since 2000? I didn't so thanks for putting words in my mouth.

In addition I've been one of the Yankee fans on the board that has been very critical of the lack of results the've gotten with all the money they spend and have no rings to show for it. I've been saying for years that they need to acquire some good young role players who know how to bunt, move a runner over, hit and run, etc...

The money this team has spent has been a joke which is why I'm pointing out how much payroll they're about to shed and hoping they don't blow it all on worthless one dimensional players or over the hill 40 something pitchers like Johnson or Mussina.

As a confirmed Mets fan/Yankee hater (early baseball trauma, what can I say?), I can still be somewhat objective about this.

In the mid-to-late 90s, the Yanks used free agency EXACTLY as it should be used. They didn't just go out and sign all the best players. They brought kids up from the farm system, identified critical needs and went out and got the best player available for that position. Any baseball fan who thinks that is extravagant or wrong is either insane or doesn't know what they're talking about.

I think that where the Yanks get the bad rep is when then go after people just to keep them away from other teams, or they just go out and sign players they don't need. Whether it's true or not, that gives a perception of arrogance and the "we're just gonna outspend you" attitude that fans of other teams hate.

I have no problem with the Mets paying Santana $150 million. Now if we go out and give Lohse a bunch of money too, I'd have a problem with that, and not just because I think he sucks. They needed an ace, and went out and got one (arguably the best pitcher in baseball to boot). Nothing wrong with that.

As a confirmed Mets fan/Yankee hater (early baseball trauma, what can I say?), I can still be somewhat objective about this.

In the mid-to-late 90s, the Yanks used free agency EXACTLY as it should be used. They didn't just go out and sign all the best players. They brought kids up from the farm system, identified critical needs and went out and got the best player available for that position. Any baseball fan who thinks that is extravagant or wrong is either insane or doesn't know what they're talking about.

I think that where the Yanks get the bad rep is when then go after people just to keep them away from other teams, or they just go out and sign players they don't need. Whether it's true or not, that gives a perception of arrogance and the "we're just gonna outspend you" attitude that fans of other teams hate.

I have no problem with the Mets paying Santana $150 million. Now if we go out and give Lohse a bunch of money too, I'd have a problem with that, and not just because I think he sucks. They needed an ace, and went out and got one (arguably the best pitcher in baseball to boot). Nothing wrong with that.

Best post I've seen by a Met fan in some time

I guess I misunderstood your "dominate for long periods of time " statement. 96-2000 sure, but in most of our life times there has been no other dominant period.

My apologies.

Moose hasn't been a bad signing up until last season. I think a couple of his post season series have jaded fans opinions on what he has done overall as a Yankee.

I guess I misunderstood your "dominate for long periods of time " statement. 96-2000 sure, but in most of our life times there has been no other dominant period.

My apologies.

Moose hasn't been a bad signing up until last season. I think a couple of his post season series have jaded fans opinions on what he has done overall as a Yankee.

You're right about Moose being alright up until last season but it was the deal they gave him last season that I was referring to. He was a FA and they could have let him walk but they chose to bring him back.

As far as the Yankees dominant periods, they've won rings in just about every decade over the past god knows how many years with the exception of the 80's. Even when they weren't winning rings they were making plenty of post season/WS appearances when compared to your average team. People hate them because of the rings and the fans who constantly remind others of how many the Yankees have won. They wish it wasn't so but it is. Personally, I rarely (if ever) use the number of rings the Yanks have won in any debate. I mean, it's a great accomplishment but it rarely has anything to do with any current events baseball discussion. JMO.

You're right about Moose being alright up until last season but it was the deal they gave him last season that I was referring to. He was a FA and they could have let him walk but they chose to bring him back.

As far as the Yankees dominant periods, they've won rings in just about every decade over the past god knows how many years with the exception of the 80's. Even when they weren't winning rings they were making plenty of post season/WS appearances when compared to your average team. People hate them because of the rings and the fans who constantly remind others of how many the Yankees have won. They wish it wasn't so but it is. Personally, I rarely (if ever) use the number of rings the Yanks have won in any debate. I mean, it's a great accomplishment but it rarely has anything to do with any current events baseball discussion. JMO.

:nohijacking:

Archived