Bonds ready to play according to his agent

faba

Barry Bonds still a slugger without a team

ESPN.com news services

Updated: February 20, 2008, 11:54 AM ET

Home run king Barry Bonds is still a man without a baseball team. But he's still ready to play, according to his agent.

Crasnick: Liberated Front

The Giants are breathing easy these days. No more walking on eggshells, no longer uncomfortable in their own skin. All because one Barry Bonds is no longer around. Story

Bonds' agent, Jeff Borris, said the ex-Giants slugger "is in game shape right now," according to the San Jose Mercury News.

"The only thing he hasn't done is face live pitching," Borris said, according to the report. "He's doing all the baseball drills he normally does as he works to get in shape for spring training. His legs are as solid as ever."

The Giants let Bonds go after his record-breaking 2007 season, deciding to go with youth and ending the slugger's 15-year run as the starting left fielder. While Bonds had 28 home runs and a .480 on-base percentage in 340 at-bats last season, he will turn 44 in July and has played the last few seasons with a balky right knee.

Bonds also faces a federal indictment on multiple counts of perjury and obstruction of justice, stemming from his testimony in the BALCO investigation.

Bonds

While there has been speculation that an American League team would want Bonds as a designated hitter, that has not come to fruition. According to the Mercury News, one unnamed baseball executive said "I don't hear any chatter, any rumors -- anything" about interest in Bonds.

"He was an All-Star last year," Borris said, according to the Mercury News. "His numbers were still off the charts, and for any team committed to winning, there's no reason they wouldn't want him on their roster."

But according to the report, Borris would not say whether he is confident of finding Bonds a spot on a major league roster this season.

If there's one team Bonds won't be playing for, it's the Giants. Earlier this month, owner Peter Magowan said the team would not reconsider to let go of Bonds.

"He has the statistics that would indicate he can still play," Magowan said, according to the Mercury News. "[but] it's not up to me to get him hired someplace. It's not my job."

Really.

Who wants this guy?

Got all this stuff hanging over his head, will be a major distraction wherever he goes.

His health is still a question. As the article says, maybe the AL where he could DH??

Will he sell tickets so people can boo him?

How about Japan?

Seriously.

What low life team wants this guy???

Really.

Who wants this guy?

Got all this stuff hanging over his head, will be a major distraction wherever he goes.

His health is still a question. As the article says, maybe the AL where he could DH??

Will he sell tickets so people can boo him?

How about Japan?

Seriously.

What low life team wants this guy???

bonds is a LOCK for a .400 on base percentage and .500 slugging average

if he plays 81 games i could see him getting 20 homers and 60 walks

im sure some GM will sign the scumbag

he's the black Babe Ruth. Fat. Cant move well anymore. Can still hit.

Oh... that 'roid thing... Yankees dont seem to have an issue with it with other players...

:P

I think the Metsies should sign him just as a pinch hitter. And punching bag.

babe ruth wasn't fat til he got old

sadly most photos of him are when he was old

is that seriously on th e radar???

and laso,,i hear 'rumors' George has Alzheimers or early dementia..anyone else hear that?

I have friends who have waited on him several times at The Palm here in Tampa. Let's just say his playing days are long gone.

Archived