Shaun Alexander to be released? - PFT.com

SHAUN GETTING THE SHAFT?

We're hearing multiple rumblings from our connections at the Scouting Combine that the Seahawks could be cutting running back Shaun Alexander soon.

A media source told us moments ago that the move could come "in the next couple of days."

It would be the last step in a dramatic fall from grace for the NFL's MVP in 2005. Once Alexander got rewarded with a big contract in 2006, his performance began to dip. In 2007, he was, as the league insider types say, "just a guy."

Alexander is under contract through 2013, with total remaining non-guaranteed base salaries of $43.1625 million.

SEAHAWKS WON'T COMMENT ON ALEXANDER RUMORS

Well, we're already stirring up trouble in Indianapolis. And we're not even in Indiana.

In response to rumors we've heard from multiple folks at the Scouting Combine that Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander might soon be shoved into the Pacific Ocean, the team has declined comment.

Per Clare Farnsworth of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the team said that the rumor "doesn't deserve a response."

But what Farnsworth wrote next makes us wonder whether the 'Hawks are protesting too much, if Farnsworth is parroting something he was told by the club: "If he is released, it would likely come after June 1 to spread the cap hit on the remaining proration of his signing bonuses over the next two years."

Wrong. Under the current CBA, two players per team can be cut before June 1, and the transactions can be processed as post-June 1 moves.

The better argument against releasing Alexander now is that the team would have more leverage to squeeze Alexander to take a lower salary if he'd be cut at a time after the bulk of the free-agency money has flowed. It's another reason why agents negotiating these long-term, big-money deals need to shift some of the salary money to roster bonus payments due in late February or early March. Such terms force teams to decide sooner rather than later whether a change should be made.

Morris was a better back. Seattle made a huge mistake choosing to let go of Steve Hutchinson while giving the king's ransom to Alex, an older RB who had a lot of wear and tear on him.

I forgot about that enormous contract he got.

That was horrible.

What a joke this guy is...he did not even deserve the contract he got but seemed like Holmgren caved into pressure.

After a 20 something TD season you'll cave in too to the pussure i would too if my RB rush for that many TD's. Since that season ended he was all about the money and allways will be.

After a 20 something TD season you'll cave in too to the pussure i would too if my RB rush for that many TD's. Since that season ended he was all about the money and allways will be.

Thats not the point. You can't just look at one or two great seasons with Running Backs. You have to look at their age. I believe he was given this seven year deal at the age of what? 28? 29? Thats ridiculous. A 3-5 year deal would've been just fine. Running Backs after 31, 32 years of age are garbage, most of the time.

Alexander didn't do anything last year, I even thought they were better when Morris was playing for him.

They were definitely a better team with morris in there, but i don't think it had anything to do with Morris being a better back, i think they just felt the need to utilize Alexander because of what he was, but with Morris they didn't have that pressure and HAsselbeck could just gun sling. Look at what that team turned into towards the end of the season, they were throwing all over the place. It may have been interesting to see them turn into a pass happy offense before alexander got hurt, probably would have helped him a little bit.

Archived