Jets | Talks with J. Abraham can Resume

Smizzy

I think he would've been exposed as completely unable to make a difference on his first play. On the next 5-7 plays, the Steelers might've done something different alright. They might've run their plays right at him.

The Jets were playing the ol' familiar doubtful/questionable/probable game that teams play when they want their opponent to gameplan for someone who'll be wearing a cast that week.

John Abraham's game is all about speed. Even if they dressed him, he would've been useless out there. The Jets could've put him in uniform and kept him on the sidelines as some sort of psychological game, but they're too conservative for that, and wanted a body that could actually perform to be in uniform instead.

Slats, if Abe, at that point, was already signed to a 6 year, $60 million dollar deal, do you think he finds a way to suit up?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slats, if Abe, at that point, was already signed to a 6 year, $60 million dollar deal, do you think he finds a way to suit up?

No. I don't believe he could've gone, and I don't believe the Jets would suit up a player who couldn't go over a healthy body they might be able to use.

No. I don't believe he could've gone, and I don't believe the Jets would suit up a player who couldn't go over a healthy body they might be able to use.

Maybe I'm old school. If you can stand up, you can play. Abe has shown that he is selfish as he is talented in his career. I still can't forget him answering the question on that stupid Jay Glazer MSG show "Pro Bowl or Super Bowl" and he had to think about it. The 20 seconds of silence where he was rubbing his Jack Daniels-stained chin looking up at the cieling was positively horrifying. He finally answered "Well, the OLD me would have said 'Pro Bowl' but the NEW me says 'Super Bowl'" I was like :shock:

John Abraham is not Lawrence Taylor when it comes to toughness. Hell, he isn't even James Hasty with the broken jaw. I think he could have gone in for 8-10 snaps and been alright. Even if they were third down snaps just to occupy a blocker on the edge. But he didn't do that...willingly. To me that's unforgivable.

Maybe I'm old school. If you can stand up, you can play. Abe has shown that he is selfish as he is talented in his career. I still can't forget him answering the question on that stupid Jay Glazer MSG show "Pro Bowl or Super Bowl" and he had to think about it. The 20 seconds of silence where he was rubbing his Jack Daniels-stained chin looking up at the cieling was positively horrifying. He finally answered "Well, the OLD me would have said 'Pro Bowl' but the NEW me says 'Super Bowl'" I was like :shock:

John Abraham is not Lawrence Taylor when it comes to toughness. Hell, he isn't even James Hasty with the broken jaw. I think he could have gone in for 8-10 snaps and been alright. Even if they were third down snaps just to occupy a blocker on the edge. But he didn't do that...willingly. To me that's unforgivable.

at a minimum this worm infested fecal sore could have provided the Jet swit ha Willis Reed minute,

at a minimum this worm infested fecal sore could have provided the Jet swit ha Willis Reed minute,

They should let him play out his tender, and address it again in February. If it comes down to it, they need to have $8M set aside to tag him again.

slats - i am an Abe apologist but like you think the Jets are best suited to use the franchise tag. the problem is that he takes up a ton of cap space this year and if they sign him long-term, even with a 2 tiered bonus they get the cap room necessary to bring in Law. If Law is healthy they almost have to do something with Abe to free up some space under the cap.

They should let him play out his tender, and address it again in February. If it comes down to it, they need to have $8M set aside to tag him again.

slats - i am an Abe apologist but like you think the Jets are best suited to use the franchise tag. the problem is that he takes up a ton of cap space this year and if they sign him long-term, even with a 2 tiered bonus they get the cap room necessary to bring in Law. If Law is healthy they almost have to do something with Abe to free up some space under the cap.

If by old school, you mean "fag hag" then yes, yes you are. :)

But, I agree with you completely. Players play when they can and most of the time when they cannot. Anything else is just unacceptable. Abe starts off his career by being a drunk and hung over during games/meetings and after that is just injury prone and selfish.

BZ

But, I agree with you completely. Players play when they can and most of the time when they cannot. Anything else is just unacceptable. Abe starts off his career by being a drunk and hung over during games/meetings and after that is just injury prone and selfish.

BZ

BZ

:lol: I've said it before but, I hate you and I love you. You bastard.

BZ

:lol: I've said it before but, I hate you and I love you. You bastard.

Two things are going on-

a. the Jets are telling his agent that after that last 6 weeks of the season and postseason there's no market for Abraham that jsutifies the cash he's looking for. they'll give him big and fair money, but if he thinks anyone's giving him top dollar when he doesn't play after Thanksgiving he and his agent need a reality check badly.Want to go make that deal to force a trade-good effn' luck, because nobody's clamoring to plug you in at top dollar after Edwards bends over backwards to support you after the 2003 DWI and you stab him in the back. Want top dollar? Play. TO gets knocked a bunch. But he's made a slacker like Abraham look like a total p___.

b. Drew Rosenhaus has staked out a campsite on the front lawn the Carolina home of John Abraham and is trying to dislodge his current agent.

Bottom line-no one held a gun to Abraham's head when he said all those unbelievably stupid things about his future and his money after he was cleared. Don't see how they can reward that.The Jets FO and CS are playing this just right.

Two things are going on-

a. the Jets are telling his agent that after that last 6 weeks of the season and postseason there's no market for Abraham that jsutifies the cash he's looking for. they'll give him big and fair money, but if he thinks anyone's giving him top dollar when he doesn't play after Thanksgiving he and his agent need a reality check badly.Want to go make that deal to force a trade-good effn' luck, because nobody's clamoring to plug you in at top dollar after Edwards bends over backwards to support you after the 2003 DWI and you stab him in the back. Want top dollar? Play. TO gets knocked a bunch. But he's made a slacker like Abraham look like a total p___.

b. Drew Rosenhaus has staked out a campsite on the front lawn the Carolina home of John Abraham and is trying to dislodge his current agent.

Bottom line-no one held a gun to Abraham's head when he said all those unbelievably stupid things about his future and his money after he was cleared. Don't see how they can reward that.The Jets FO and CS are playing this just right.

To me the bottom line is J Abe has shown the Jets zero loyalty when they have done all they can to keep him around. If he was a real man he would sign the tender and move on show everyone what he is made of.. If he decides to hold out of camp, he will be twice as injury prone due to his lack of conditioning from missing practice time and training. God this guy pisses me off

To me the bottom line is J Abe has shown the Jets zero loyalty when they have done all they can to keep him around. If he was a real man he would sign the tender and move on show everyone what he is made of.. If he decides to hold out of camp, he will be twice as injury prone due to his lack of conditioning from missing practice time and training. God this guy pisses me off

he is bad news,,

he is nothing more than a fur wearing, gangsta jewelery wearing thug who has no team values and is NEVER there when we need him,,lest we forget his booze fest that hampered him in the Oakland playoff game before last seasons pussyfest,,,,

...that was so far fetched SJ....that man has never been a gangsta nothing, especially not a fur wearer... :shock: . and furthermore, he wasn't the only one in Oakland sick. LC had been sick when they got there and Jordan. They suspected that it was a virus and Abe was the last to get it and got it the worst. The man threw up in the huddle and on the sideline. I have no clue how you would want someone thats feeling like that to play a full contact sport like football. Imagine the last time you threw up or was sick for that matter...would you have wanted to get hit by some 6'4 250 pd guy?... :roll: I happen to know that Abe is a good southern gentleman. He's really a good guy and doesn't deserve this rap. Yes he has made a mistake, but we have to stop using that for an excuse to bash a man who was truly hurt last year. Thats my SC brother and I will defend him... :box: . And yes Ellis did do that Tom. He's another good guy. Strong and tough as nails. But everyone isn't him. Thats why he got the contract. I do happen to agree with you all on paying him though. Until he's injury free a year I would be afraid to sign him too. But you guys must stop the bashing. If you want to say that then do so. But he's a good guy and doesn't deserve the other harsh criticisms.

he is bad news,,

he is nothing more than a fur wearing, gangsta jewelery wearing thug who has no team values and is NEVER there when we need him,,lest we forget his booze fest that hampered him in the Oakland playoff game before last seasons pussyfest,,,,

...that was so far fetched SJ....that man has never been a gangsta nothing, especially not a fur wearer... :shock: . and furthermore, he wasn't the only one in Oakland sick. LC had been sick when they got there and Jordan. They suspected that it was a virus and Abe was the last to get it and got it the worst. The man threw up in the huddle and on the sideline. I have no clue how you would want someone thats feeling like that to play a full contact sport like football. Imagine the last time you threw up or was sick for that matter...would you have wanted to get hit by some 6'4 250 pd guy?... :roll: I happen to know that Abe is a good southern gentleman. He's really a good guy and doesn't deserve this rap. Yes he has made a mistake, but we have to stop using that for an excuse to bash a man who was truly hurt last year. Thats my SC brother and I will defend him... :box: . And yes Ellis did do that Tom. He's another good guy. Strong and tough as nails. But everyone isn't him. Thats why he got the contract. I do happen to agree with you all on paying him though. Until he's injury free a year I would be afraid to sign him too. But you guys must stop the bashing. If you want to say that then do so. But he's a good guy and doesn't deserve the other harsh criticisms.

You're getting John Abraham the person confused with John Abraham the football player of the NY Jets. He may be a great guy who builds orphanages for free on the side, but as a Jet he's been nothing short of a selfish punk who ducks games with weak injuries.

You're getting John Abraham the person confused with John Abraham the football player of the NY Jets. He may be a great guy who builds orphanages for free on the side, but as a Jet he's been nothing short of a selfish punk who ducks games with weak injuries.

you say that...do you know how hard he worked to be there last year to then get that injury. Yeah I know him personally, but i also know how he felt about the season and that his injury was legitimate. There was a lot of spin by the Jets and people thought he could go when he couldn't. He was really injured badly. He wants to be here but feels snubbed since shaun got his money. But like i said, he has to prove he isn't injury prone to get that contract. That I agree with, but everyones bashes on him and says he isn't hurt when he is.

you say that...do you know how hard he worked to be there last year to then get that injury. Yeah I know him personally, but i also know how he felt about the season and that his injury was legitimate. There was a lot of spin by the Jets and people thought he could go when he couldn't. He was really injured badly. He wants to be here but feels snubbed since shaun got his money. But like i said, he has to prove he isn't injury prone to get that contract. That I agree with, but everyones bashes on him and says he isn't hurt when he is.

Jets28- you have more intimate knowledge of Abe as a person but us Jet fans can only go and most fans only care is the guy putting out 100 per cent and giving it his all- and frankly we see other players play with injuries and stay healthy the whole year and have not seen that from Abe- especially in the most crucial games in the playoffs

Jets28- you have more intimate knowledge of Abe as a person but us Jet fans can only go and most fans only care is the guy putting out 100 per cent and giving it his all- and frankly we see other players play with injuries and stay healthy the whole year and have not seen that from Abe- especially in the most crucial games in the playoffs

i am an Abe apologist but like you think the Jets are best suited to use the franchise tag. the problem is that he takes up a ton of cap space this year and if they sign him long-term, even with a 2 tiered bonus they get the cap room necessary to bring in Law. If Law is healthy they almost have to do something with Abe to free up some space under the cap.

There's no money anywhere in the league for Law. I hear what you're saying, but the Jets can get around it with a deal two or more years in length, and plenty of guarantees next year. Ultimately, I think that's what Law's going to have to settle for no matter where he signs.

Signing Johnny Abe long term just to sign a gimpy CB could be a salary cap disaster. They'd need to be right on both players, when both players are really big question marks.

J28-

Weakness in your argument is that with the tender offer, Abraham will make over $6 million for this season with the Jets. Them's the rules, and as "unfair" as Abraham and his agent might think that is, there's no secrets here. It's not like they're paying him dirt or below market. And the more of these moronic stunts Abraham pulls, the more in doubt the market for his services ever approaches $6 million plus.Yes, he may have a relatively short career, wich could be snuffed by an injury on the next play. But $ 6 million for a season is a good deal. Sign it, play and shut up already. And if he isn't smart enough to see that, it's past time for the Jets to dump him on some other team that thinks they can coax him to play football after Thankgiving for players the Jets can actually have play once the weather gets a little cold.

Speaking of good guys-Abraham's employers in thet Jets' FO and his boss in Edwards backed him to the hilt in 2003 when they could've been a whole lot harder on him. Where's the loyalty?

Now we are on a "Poor old Abe" talk?

Is this the same player the was drunk for two years? That used to show up and play games hung over or NOT play games because of a "stomach problem" which was really just being hung over?

Is this the same guy who plays on a team of warriors but when he is cleared to play in the PLAYOFFS sits it out because of his career?

Why should the Jets invest long term in someone who has shown nothing but short term loses. Sure, he can tackle. Sure he can break blocks and make a difference on the field. But he is not God's gift to the NFL. Ellis got the money because Ellis plays like a beast 100% of the time.

Abe has never finished a full season. Why should he get 3/4 years of pay for only 2 years of service?

Again, all he needs to do is sign up for his $6,000,000 THIS YEAR, come to camp, play like an animal, stay sober and healthy and he will make a mint next year and act like a man doing it.

BZ

Last year, on national television, He picked the Steelers to win the Super Bowl. He did this before we played the Steelers. He undermined team morale, expressed a defeatist attitude, and showed an obvious lack of faith in his team, in OUR TEAM. Would Mawae have done this? Curtis, Penny, Ellis, Wayne? No, of course not. Even asking such a question is rediculous. Those guys are Jets. Abe is not a Jet. He is a hired gun. Injured or not, sober or not, two-faced or not...he's a self absorbed, unsupportive, unbeleiving player. There are no more apologies to be made for him no matter how you spin it. I wanted Keyshaun gone, for the same reasons I want Abe gone. Give him away for nothing and put a hardworking slob in his place. At least I can be proud of a guy who wants it. As for Abe, I'd rather he was benched, even if he decided to play for free. He's not a "member" of the team I root for, period.

Archived