Twincities.com trade rumor: Losman to Vikes for 4th round pick?

will

Just an indication of the market for backup QBs that are under contract for 2008.

The relevant part of the article:

It still looks as if the Vikings' best bet for a backup quarterback is Buffalo's J.P. Losman, who is signed for $1.9 million this season and probably could be obtained for a fourth-round draft pick.

http://www.twincities.com/walters

I dont get why the jets dont try and trade Chad to the vikes?

The differnce between a back-up that is paid 1.8 mill vs a "back-up" that is paid 8 or 9 million is canyonesque. Now, I don't know how much Chad's money is in bonuses, which would not carry to his new club (honestly, I haven't been paying attention, but that is where the rub is.

The NFL is becoming somewhat lilke MLB in trades, it is not the talenty that you are getting in barter as much as it is the size of teh contract attached to th eplayer that determines value.

Sperm in 5...4...3....2...1....

The differnce between a back-up that is paid 1.8 mill vs a "back-up" that is paid 8 or 9 million is canyonesque. Now, I don't know how much Chad's money is in bonuses, which would not carry to his new club (honestly, I haven't been paying attention, but that is where the rub is.

The NFL is becoming somewhat lilke MLB in trades, it is not the talenty that you are getting in barter as much as it is the size of teh contract attached to th eplayer that determines value.

Sperm in 5...4...3....2...1....

The bonus cash is 3M, base salary is 6M.

Now, the difference in talent between Chad and Losman is "canyonesque" too. What the hell has Losman done? At least Chad has taken teams to the playoffs...

I think a team could easily trade for him, and restructure his deal.

The bonus cash is 3M, base salary is 6M.

Now, the difference in talent between Chad and Losman is "canyonesque" too. What the hell has Losman done? At least Chad has taken teams to the playoffs...

I think a team could easily trade for him, and restructure his deal.

Honestly, I could not see the Jets earning more than a 3rd round pick, that could turn into a 2nd if play time incentives were reached.

If his cap number was 1.8 million I could see a 2nd round pick with a 3rd next year with play time incentives reached.

I think that the salary dilutes value that much.

You think differently? Could they do better?

Honestly, I could not see the Jets earning more than a 3rd round pick, that could turn into a 2nd if play time incentives were reached.

If his cap number was 1.8 million I could see a 2nd round pick with a 3rd next year with play time incentives reached.

I would take that... and if both vilma and chad played well.. we could have two second round picks.. next year from both

I don't know if they could do better, but you are too worried about the contract in my opinion. It can easily be torn up and a new one issued, without cap penalty to the team making the deal. Pennington wants to be a starter. If going to a team means he's definitely the starter , he'd restructure... or at least make some of his salary be incentive based... If not, then he really doesn't want to be a starter.

I don't know if they could do better, but you are too worried about the contract in my opinion. It can easily be torn up and a new one issued, without cap penalty to the team making the deal. Pennington wants to be a starter. If going to a team means he's definitely the starter , he'd restructure... or at least make some of his salary be incentive based... If not, then he really doesn't want to be a starter.

He is certainly not going to give back money (who would?), which means that he would be signing a longer term deal in order to spread that money out longer.

That is a risk for Pennington, as that would not be guaranted money. There really is not a lot of incentive for him to do that.

I am sure he looks at teh NYJ situation and says "This is a qb challenge I can win, also", and keep his salary intact.

The money aspect is all nice of pennington's contract, but the bottom line is the vikings have to want pennington, which doesn't seem like they have any interest in him. Besides money, the reason why they'd want losman over pennington; he's younger, still has an upside and can throw all the passes, which pennington cannot. I don't care how much of a game manager he is, it's not enough to overcome his flaws. You'd think if they thought pennington was that much better than lossman they would atleast be somewhat interested.

He is certainly not going to give back money (who would?), which means that he would be signing a longer term deal in order to spread that money out longer.

That is a risk for Pennington, as that would not be guaranted money. There really is not a lot of incentive for him to do that.

I am sure he looks at teh NYJ situation and says "This is a qb challenge I can win, also", and keep his salary intact.

See I don't agree with this. He wants to be a starter and not sit. If the Vikes, or any other team, said... look we'll make your 6M base into a 3M base with incentives worth 4.5M, any athlete who believes in himself would have to take the challenge.

I partially agree with the last premise that he can win this QB challenge, but the fact is, the other situation would GUARANTEE he wins.

Chad is not a very good QB but...have you seen the Bears? Man they suck. Throw Chad to Chicago, although since it's the "Windy City" Chad's floaters might go backwards.

He has taken teams to the playoffs multiple times.. It's not like he totally sucks guys.

Just an indication of the market for backup QBs that are under contract for 2008.

It still looks as if the Vikings' best bet for a backup quarterback is Buffalo's J.P. Losman, who is signed for $1.9 million this season and probably could be obtained for a fourth-round draft pick.

Losman is better than Tarvaris Jackson.

I wouldn't mind if the Jets traded a 4th for him.

Losman is better than Tarvaris Jackson.

I wouldn't mind if the Jets traded a 4th for him.

I agree.

He never should have lost his job to Edwards last year after the strides Losman made the year before. They should have given him more than one NFL-level WR before giving up on him.

I agree.

He never should have lost his job to Edwards last year after the strides Losman made the year before. They should have given him more than one NFL-level WR before giving up on him.

Not that Im a big fan of Vince Young, but why dont you give him the same leash?

Not that Im a big fan of Vince Young, but why dont you give him the same leash?

Whenever Vince Young throws 19 TDs and 14 INTs in a season with a mediocre running game and only one NFL-caliber WR, then I'll give him a leash.

Vince has more interceptions in two years than Losman does in his career.

I agree.

I watched Buffallo a lot last season and TBH they looked a lot smoother offensively with Edwards, Losman has always been inconsistent, even in his good season.

Edwards was a rookie who to be fair showed very good potential.

JP 's 2008 salary is fairly cheap. With Edwards still having a big ? on him I can't see the Bills dealing Losman at all. IMO No chance this happens this year.

JP 's 2008 salary is fairly cheap. With Edwards still having a big ? on him I can't see the Bills dealing Losman at all. IMO No chance this happens this year.

If Losman really is available I'd love to see the Jets get him. He has a monster arm. I thikn in the right situation he'd be successful. Too bad the Toronto Bills probably won't trade him in the division.

Archived