Mock Draft| ESPN First Take

rick34125

ESPN is running a mock draft with beat writers for their respective teams in the draft. Here's what they've come up with so far:

1. Miami________ DE Chris Long

2. St. Louis_____ OL Jake Long

3. Atanta_______ DT Glenn Dorsey

4. Oakland______ DE Vernon Gholston

5. Kansas City___ DT Sedrick Ellis

It's very interesting. The big surprise to me is Atlanta going with Dorsey instead of Ryan. Oakland would probably take Dorsey if he were available, which would leave Gholston and Mcfadden at #6. Anyway, a scenario like this leaves Mcfadden the glaring draft pick for the Jets. This precludes, of course, a team trading down with another team who might be interested in a Ryan or a Mcfadden, which all the beat writers thought their teams should do.

I've also heard a Dallas beat writer say he didn't think the Cowboys would trade up for Mcfadden when they could get another RB talent lower in the 1st round.

I don't know yet who ESPN is going to get to represent the Jets draft pick, but if it's Cimini he's for sure going to go with Mcfadden.

I just cant see the Raiders taking Dorsey over McFadden

The fact that they still have 4 RB's on the roster while having very little depth at DT makes me think otherwise. The fact that it's Al Davis though means anything could happen.

If somehow Chris Long slips to Oakland, I can't see them passing on him.

I can easily see the raiders drafting dorsey over mcfadden; al davis probably sees his new warren sapp. Davis said he wants to address their needs in this draft and dorsey or ellis would be a good fit, but i'm definatley not ruling out mcfadden, becuase he can easily go there like you said.

Now that Stewart is going to need surgery, do you think that forces Dallas to trade up?

Dallas doesn't need a first-round RB. The thought was that JJ had an infatuation with McFadden; not that Dallas had some glaring hole on the team that must be filled with a first-round pick. The stud they already have was drafted in round 4. They'd be better-suited drafting a Ray Rice or Matt Forte at the end of round 2 to platoon with MBIII, & using their 1st-rounders elsewhere. They'd be better off taking the two best players at WR, CB, SS, 3-4 DE, . T.O. just turned 35 & won't play at this level for much longer. Roy Williams sucks, no matter how many times he goes to the pro bowl. Greg Ellis is a part-time player now. Anthony Henry blows. If they had a Forte/MBIII combo at RB, I'd hardly consider that to be a weakness on the team. They may take someone like Brandon Albert & move Davis to RT; or just leave Davis where he performed so well last year & draft a stud RT prospect early.

They don't need to do it. Hey - it would hardly hurt their team to take a Stewart at the end of round 1 for dirt-cheap dollars (not much more than Sione Pouha). But they're not desperate for a RB to take 50% or more of the carries.

Dallas doesn't need a first-round RB. The thought was that JJ had an infatuation with McFadden; not that Dallas had some glaring hole on the team that must be filled with a first-round pick. The stud they already have was drafted in round 4. They'd be better-suited drafting a Ray Rice or Matt Forte at the end of round 2 to platoon with MBIII, & using their 1st-rounders elsewhere. They'd be better off taking the two best players at WR, CB, SS, 3-4 DE, . T.O. just turned 35 & won't play at this level for much longer. Roy Williams sucks, no matter how many times he goes to the pro bowl. Greg Ellis is a part-time player now. Anthony Henry blows. If they had a Forte/MBIII combo at RB, I'd hardly consider that to be a weakness on the team. They may take someone like Brandon Albert & move Davis to RT; or just leave Davis where he performed so well last year & draft a stud RT prospect early.

They don't need to do it. Hey - it would hardly hurt their team to take a Stewart at the end of round 1 for dirt-cheap dollars (not much more than Sione Pouha). But they're not desperate for a RB to take 50% or more of the carries.

You have to see it from JJ's viewpoint, All he is seeing is 75 yd runs for TD's

and $ sales from DMC's jerseys

MBIII will never give you the explosion plays.

He is an ArK alumni and he is gaga over this kid, it is his new toy, sort of

like when Max names a new Mod!!!;)

I'm hardly an expert on Dallas' roster, but I think Barber can do the work. If anything, they need a speed back to spell him a series a half. Ray Rice would NOT be that guy in my opinion.

Now one thing I'd consider for the Jets is if Ray Rice happens to slide to the top of Round 3, which probably will not happen, is snagging him. However, we have other needs as well. We need a QB, but there is nothing we can do in the draft to help us in 2008. We need a WR.. badly.. We have 2 #2s now and need either a #1, or someone with speed to stretch the field to make our #2s seem like #1s.

I also think we can use some depth on the DL

I'm hardly an expert on Dallas' roster, but I think Barber can do the work. If anything, they need a speed back to spell him a series a half. Ray Rice would NOT be that guy in my opinion.

Now one thing I'd consider for the Jets is if Ray Rice happens to slide to the top of Round 3, which probably will not happen, is snagging him. However, we have other needs as well. We need a QB, but there is nothing we can do in the draft to help us in 2008. We need a WR.. badly.. We have 2 #2s now and need either a #1, or someone with speed to stretch the field to make our #2s seem like #1s.

I also think we can use some depth on the DL

Leon is better than Rice, we do not need another small back

You have to see it from JJ's viewpoint, All he is seeing is 75 yd runs for TD's

and $ sales from DMC's jerseys

MBIII will never give you the explosion plays.

He is an ArK alumni and he is gaga over this kid, it is his new toy, sort of

like when Max names a new Mod!!!;)

I'd call Dallas and simply say, "OK, #22 and MBIII for our #6 and we're done. If you really want McFadden, prove it."

I'd call Dallas and simply say, "OK, #22 and MBIII for our #6 and we're done. If you really want McFadden, prove it."

Seems like a fair trade to me if they want him that badly. MBIII can be had for a 1st & a 3rd. Dallas needs two firsts & a third to move up to #6 if McFadden's still there.

I can see that happening more than trading the three picks for one. But it would still be stupid on JJ's part. They needed an upgrade from Julius Jones to pair with MBIII, not to scrap both of them.

How much is MBIII going to cost?

Marion Barber? I dont like Marion barber... thomas jones Marion barber combo? Same as dallas only different brother..

Darren McFadden, RB, ArkansasThe Jets need to do something to grab some of the attention back from the Giants. Picking the most explosive running back in the draft would help them achieve that objective. The position isn't a huge weakness for the Jets with Thomas Jones in the backfield, but no one is going to confuse Jones with McFadden. The Jets need a gamebreaker, and McFadden can do that. He could have a similar impact to what Adrian Peterson did for the Vikings.

Marion Barber? I dont like Marion barber... thomas jones Marion barber combo? Same as dallas only different brother..

Darren McFadden, RB, ArkansasThe Jets need to do something to grab some of the attention back from the Giants. Picking the most explosive running back in the draft would help them achieve that objective. The position isn't a huge weakness for the Jets with Thomas Jones in the backfield, but no one is going to confuse Jones with McFadden. The Jets need a gamebreaker, and McFadden can do that. He could have a similar impact to what Adrian Peterson did for the Vikings.

Is this the Big Brother thread?

I don't know yet who ESPN is going to get to represent the Jets draft pick, but if it's Cimini he's for sure going to go with Mcfadden.

Funny as it turns out Tom Rock represented the Jets pick and thought the Jets should trade down but in this mock went with the obvious pick of Mcfadden. Good job Tom, but I'm not so sure you're ready for TV yet. :)

It looks like McFadden is falling right into the hands of the Jets for years to come, and as a Jet fan im so pumped up.

I want Gholston over ANY player in the draft, but I hope McFadden is on the board if Gholston gets drafted first

Yeah you know originally I wanted Gholston or C. Long, and I'd still take them of course, but the more I think about Mcfadden possibly falling to us at #6 the more I think it would be the best pick for us. It would really complete all the offseason moves so far and be an exciting addtion to our otherwise unexciting offense. I'm already pumped for the draft and right now would be even more pumped if we get Mcfadden, 4 babies and all. :shock:

If both Darren McFadden and Marion Barber III were on the draft board when the Jets picked at 6, they would be absolutely insane to take McFadden.

Haven't you read any of the media experts on this year's offseason moves? They ARE insane. ;)

Archived