Cimini | TE search won't end with Utecht

rick34125

A speedy tight end who can compliment Baker

By Hoss Aultman

Posted Mar 13, 2008

While the Jets talk to Indianapolis tight end Ben Utecht, but they really need to compliment Chris Baker is a speedy tight end like Purdue's Dustin Keller, who ran a 4.55 at the combine. Here is a chat with Keller:

Q)What kind of tight end are you?

Keller: Generally more people would classify me as a hybrid, more of a receiving tight end.

Q)Like Dallas Clark?

Keller: Yeah.

Q)What do you need to work on?

Keller: I need to improve upon my blocking.

Q)Where did Purdue like to line you up?

Keller: I lined up at tight end a bit, more times than not. But I also was put in the slot.

Q)How far along are you in your transition from wide receiver to tight end?

Keller: I completely feel like a tight end now. It

Graham would be a very smart pickup IMO, he is a great blocking TE and can be a decent option in the passing game.

Not that I wouldn't want this to happen but why would the Broncos trade a very good player like Graham for a $12 mil piece of garbage with a bad knee like D-Rob?

March 14, 2008

Jets' TE search won't end with Utecht

If the Jets acquire another tight end to play behind Chris Baker, it’s going to be someone other than the Colts’ Ben Utecht.

After visiting with Utecht earlier in the week, and holding discussions with his agent, the Jets are out of the mix, I’m told. Utecht, a decent pass catcher but nothing special, is demanding way too much money for a player of his ilk.

Utecht is a restricted free agent, which means the Colts have the right of first refusal. The team that signs him would not be required to compensate the Colts with a draft pick. It now appears the Bengals are the favorite to land him.

There’s not much left in the tight-end market. The top unrestricted free agents are Eric Johnson (Saints) and Jerramy Stevens (Bucs). How ‘bout bringing back Kyle Brady, cut recently by the Patriots? Brady, the Jets’ top pick in ‘95, still can block.

By Rich Cimini on March 14, 2008 9:25 AM | Permalink | Comments (4)

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/03/jets-te-search-wont-end-with-u.html

Cimini should have known this. Eric Johnson

I can see it now...The crowd chanting "we want gholston" or mcfadden or whoever

With the 6th pick in the 2008 draft the New Yor Jets select Tight End Dustin Keller Purdue.

Cimini should have known this. Eric Johnson

I can see it now...The crowd chanting "we want gholston" or mcfadden or whoever

With the 6th pick in the 2008 draft the New Yor Jets select Tight End Dustin Keller Purdue.

LOL, if that happens the person nearest to me at the time will be in grave danger.

To be fair though Keller has pretty good potential but at #6??? LOL

Ok, if your gonna have it that way fine, no it's not technically guaranteed. But you choose; either he plays well and yes it's 22 million guaranteed or he plays aweful for 11+ million for one year.

It's 20, not 22 but it's still not guaranteed. If he plays terrible, you save 9M. If it was guaranteed, you didn't....

It's 20, not 22 but it's still not guaranteed. If he plays terrible, you save 9M. If it was guaranteed, you didn't....

Yes, but how terrible would he have to play?? He can play bad and the team will still most likely pick up the '09 roster bonus, because they don't feel like playing 11 million for one year of the guy and not seeing how he develops.

The point is moot really, he's going to be on our team past '08 and he'll get 20 million in guarantees, i understand the exact terms are it's not all guaranteed, but for all intensive purposes it is.

Yes, but how terrible would he have to play?? He can play bad and the team will still most likely pick up the '09 roster bonus, because they don't feel like playing 11 million for one year of the guy and not seeing how he develops.

The point is moot really, he's going to be on our team past '08 and he'll get 20 million in guarantees, i understand the exact terms are it's not all guaranteed, but for all intensive purposes it is.

No, I don't agree.. He may be restructured... Cutting wouldn't be too too painful.

I agree, he'll be here in 2009 and beyond but let's not get crazy and think he's a lock to get the 9M

No, I don't agree.. He may be restructured... Cutting wouldn't be too too painful.

I agree, he'll be here in 2009 and beyond but let's not get crazy and think he's a lock to get the 9M

You're right, he's not a lock to get the 9 million, but i'd be willing to put good money on it saying that he does. I know they put in an effective way to cut him if need be, which i like, but i just 100% don't see it happening.

Archived