Darrell Jackson cut by 49ers

AFJF

A day after the San Francisco 49ers signed Bryant Johnson to a one-year, $2 million contact, they cut wide receiver Darrell Jackson, who came to the 49ers last year in a trade.

Jackson was informed by head coach Mike Nolan that he was being released. He was scheduled to make $4 million this year. Jackson came to the 49ers in a draft day trade in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick.

"I always had a great deal of respect for Darrell," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "I appreciated his dedication and work ethic during his season with the 49ers. He always had a positive attitude every day he came to work. While we are going in a different direction, I know he can still produce and be an asset to an NFL team this year."

He caught 46 passes for 497 yards and three touchdowns in 15 starts last season.

San Francisco signed longtime Rams receiver Isaac Bruce as a free agent last month, adding another veteran who spent his entire career with a division rival. He will play alongside Arnaz Battle and Ashley Lelie in what's been arguably the NFL's least impressive group of pass-catchers for the last few seasons.

Bruce agreed to a two-year, $6 million deal two weeks ago.

The 49ers have fruitlessly searched for good veteran receivers during Nolan's three seasons with the club, with a spate of dismal signings that include aging standouts Johnnie Morton and Curtis Conway.

San Francisco also got one tumultuous season from Antonio Bryant, who performed fairly well but earned a four-game suspension from the NFL late in the 2006 season, prompting the 49ers to dump him.

Last spring, they signed Lelie and took a chance on Jackson in a trade with Seattle for a fourth-round pick. Neither deal has worked out, with Lelie struggling to get playing time behind Battle and Jackson.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Receiving Stats

YEAR TEAM G REC YDS AVG LNG TD

2000 SEA 16 53 713 13.5 71 6

2001 SEA 16 70 1081 15.4 64 8

2002 SEA 13 62 877 14.1 48 4

2003 SEA 16 68 1137 16.7 80 9

2004 SEA 16 87 1199 13.8 56 7

2005 SEA 6 38 482 12.7 48 3

2006 SEA 13 63 956 15.2 72 10

2007 SFO 15 46 497 10.8 34 3

Career 111 487 6942 14.3 80 50

wish we could pick this guy up. This would give us a nice set of receivers with

Coles, Cotchery, Jackson, Smith, Stuckey, Wright.

Then the offense would be set. Then we just need a solid #2 CB a good safety next to Rhodes and maybe replace Barton.

Three players away.

Darrell Jackson is the Thomas Jones of WRs.

Definition of average.

That's a ****ed up thing to say about TJ, he's a good back who got put in a bad situation. Everyone hear talks about McFadden and how TJ is average. If McFadden was behind the same line as Jones last year he would have looked like crap. If TJ doesn't top 1,400 yards behind our new line this year I will quit posting. Granted he doesn't get hurt.

That's a ****ed up thing to say about TJ, he's a good back who got put in a bad situation. Everyone hear talks about McFadden and how TJ is average. If McFadden was behind the same line as Jones last year he would have looked like crap. If TJ doesn't top 1,400 yards behind our new line this year I will quit posting. Granted he doesn't get hurt.

He is not a good back. He had four 100-yard rushing games the year before he came here, or a whopping ONE more than our fantastic Leon/Houston/Barlow combo. He's never run for 1,400 yards in his life and he ain't about to start at age 30. He is mediocre, the very definition of average. He is currently the second best RB on our team, and if we draft McFadden, Mendenhall, or Stewart, he'll be the third.

He is not a good back. He had four 100-yard rushing games the year before he came here, or a whopping ONE more than our fantastic Leon/Houston/Barlow combo. He's never run for 1,400 yards in his life and he ain't about to start at age 30. He is mediocre, the very definition of average. He is currently the second best RB on our team, and if we draft McFadden, Mendenhall, or Stewart, he'll be the third.

I would be more then happy if we get Mendenhall because I really believe he will be the best NFL back in this class hands down. Not at 6 though. I don't know if I;m the only one, but I was impresses with TJ did last year behind one of the worst line's I've ever seen, and I think he'll have a big year this year.

I would be more then happy if we get Mendenhall because I really believe he will be the best NFL back in this class hands down. Not at 6 though. I don't know if I;m the only one, but I was impresses with TJ did last year behind one of the worst line's I've ever seen, and I think he'll have a big year this year.

I honestly don't know why so many posters hate Thomas Jones. I thought he did a great job behind a truly crap O line last year. I'm looking for a big year too from him this year behind this new line. I agree that Mendenhall would be a reach at #6 and I honestly can't see us taking a RB at all on the 1st day.

I honestly don't know why so many posters hate Thomas Jones. I thought he did a great job behind a truly crap O line last year. I'm looking for a big year too from him this year behind this new line. I agree that Mendenhall would be a reach at #6 and I honestly can't see us taking a RB at all on the 1st day.

I didn't see any hatred for Thomas Jones in Troll's comments. He says Jones is average. He didn't say he sucks. Jones certainly isn't "elite". What's wrong with being average? Being an average NFL starter is not an insult. In fact our team would have been a hell of a lot better if we'd had an average LG. Every player that steps on the field is not awesome or ****ty. Some actually are just average.

I didn't see any hatred for Thomas Jones in Troll's comments. He says Jones is average. He didn't say he sucks. Jones certainly isn't "elite". What's wrong with being average? Being an average NFL starter is not an insult. In fact our team would have been a hell of a lot better if we'd had an average LG. Every player that steps on the field is not awesome or ****ty. Some actually are just average.

No, I really do hate Thomas Jones. He was a complete waste of a perfectly good draft pick and was a downgrade from Leon Washington.

I don't see how any of you can be so impressed with what Thomas Jones did last year. Leon Washington averaged 5 yards a carry running behind the very same, ****ty offensive line. The problem with Thomas Jones is that he makes absolutely nothing happen for himself. He doesn't make people miss and he doesn't run over anyone either. If there is a gigantic hole there, he will run through it. After doing a couple dance steps, of course.

I don't think he's an elite back, but how many back's do you think could have done better behind our line with 8 in the box all year. He isn't elite but I still think he's above average and teamed with Leon it's a more then adequate combination. Running back is not a position that needs to be addressed.

I don't think he's an elite back, but how many back's do you think could have done better behind our line with 8 in the box all year. He isn't elite but I still think he's above average and teamed with Leon it's a more then adequate combination. Running back is not a position that needs to be addressed.

How many people could have done better than 3.5 yards a carry and 2 whole TDs?

I don't know. 30? 40?

No, I really do hate Thomas Jones. He was a complete waste of a perfectly good draft pick and was a downgrade from Leon Washington.

I don't see how any of you can be so impressed with what Thomas Jones did last year. Leon Washington averaged 5 yards a carry running behind the very same, ****ty offensive line. The problem with Thomas Jones is that he makes absolutely nothing happen for himself. He doesn't make people miss and he doesn't run over anyone either. If there is a gigantic hole there, he will run through it. After doing a couple dance steps, of course.

Ha. Just because I didn't see it, doesn't mean it wasn't there.

I could name a bunch, but you could start with Leon Washington.

Not too many people blame Jones for our awful running game in '07, but a lot of us think that we should have gotten more for the money and pick swap. I honestly think they like him because they know he sets a good example in workouts and gives an honest effort. After 2006 many people were thinking that all that was needed was a legit back and the running game would be fine. Jones answered that question. Too bad none of us liked the answer.

Jesse Chatmen averaged 6 a carry behind the same line as Tomlinson in 2004!!!!.... Tomlinson only averaged 3.9. They both ran behind the same ****ty line to!

You're a f-cking idiot if you think you can compare a backup's numbers to a starters. If you want to do that we just signed the best back in the league to a one year contract for next to nothing.

How many people could have done better than 3.5 yards a carry and 2 whole TDs?

I don't know. 30? 40?

Behind the O-line we put on the field last year? name them

because Chicago's running game looked pretty f-cking good with TJ as the back.

How did they do with Benson?

Jesse Chatmen averaged 6 a carry behind the same line as Tomlinson in 2004!!!!.... Tomlinson only averaged 3.9. They both ran behind the same ****ty line to!

You're a f-cking idiot if you think you can compare a backup's numbers to a starters. If you want to do that we just signed the best back in the league to a one year contract for next to nothing.

Did Jesse Chatman also triple the amount of rushing TDs that Tomlinson scored?

Behind the O-line we put on the field last year? name them

because Chicago's running game looked pretty f-cking good with TJ as the back.

How did they do with Benson?

If the Dancing Bear is so ****ing great, why the hell did they trade him to us?

And, no, I will not name them. I don't want to go through virtually every NFL starting RB and half their back-ups. They might not have matched TDB's sterling 3.5 a pop, but I can guaran-damn-tee you they'd have scored more than one f'ing rushing TD.

You where the numb nuts comparing YPC averages between a backup and a starter, like it was a valid argument.

Well, when the backup not only averages a yard and a half per carry more AND scores more TDs than the starter, it becomes a valid argument.

You are very sensitive about this issue. All it took was a couple posts and you called me a ****ing idiot, and now I am a numb nuts. I am forming a hypothesis based on this and your user name that you are actually Thomas Jones himself. Please quit being a ****ing ****ty RB and I will shut up.

If the Dancing Bear is so ****ing great, why the hell did they trade him to us?

They traded him to us because they made the mistake of picking Cedric Benson at pick 4 paying him 35 million over 5 years with 17 million guaranteed. They didn't have a choice.

Well, when the backup not only averages a yard and a half per carry more AND scores more TDs than the starter, it becomes a valid argument.

Chatmen averaged over 2 YPC more then Tomlinson, who I guess is the second best back in the league behind Chatmen at this point. According to your logic anyway.

They traded him to us because they made the mistake of picking Cedric Benson at pick 4 paying him 35 million over 5 years with 17 million guaranteed. They didn't have a choice.

Chatmen averaged over 2 YPC more then Tomlinson, who I guess is the second best back in the league Chatmen at this point. According to your logic anyway.

Once again, I ask, did Chatman have triple the amount of rushing TDs that Tomlinson did? And if you have ever watched the Chargers, you know that LT rarely goes off the field unless it's a blowout. Chatman did his damage in garbage time. Leon Washington did not.

As for the Bears, of course they had a choice. They were not in dire straights cap-wise. No one was after the new CBA. If they really wanted to keep Thomas Jones and felt that Benson was going to be a bust, they could have done it without cutting Benson.

Once again, I ask, did Chatman have triple the amount of rushing TDs that Tomlinson did? And if you have ever watched the Chargers, you know that LT rarely goes off the field unless it's a blowout. Chatman did his damage in garbage time. Leon Washington did not.

As for the Bears, of course they had a choice. They were not in dire straights cap-wise. No one was after the new CBA. If they really wanted to keep Thomas Jones and felt that Benson was going to be a bust, they could have done it without cutting Benson.

Wahsington 2007 NY Jets 16 71 353 22.1 5.0 3

Chatmen 2004 San Diego 15 65 392 26.1 6.0 3

and the bears probably had the worst year along with the Pat's in free agency. They couldn't afford to keep both or they obviously wouldn't have hedged their bets on a back they didn't know could be a feature back.

Wahsington 2007 NY Jets 16 71 353 22.1 5.0 3

Chatmen 2004 San Diego 15 65 392 26.1 6.0 3

and the bears probably had the worst year along with the Pat's in free agency. They couldn't afford to keep both or they obviously wouldn't have hedged their bets on a back they didn't know could be a feature back.

Jesus, are you this ****ing stupid? There is absolutely no comparison between the Chargers' 2004 RB situation and the Jets' 2007 RB situation. I have answered you in countless ways but you are too ****ing dense to get it. Racking up six yards a carry in the 4th quarter of blowouts is not how Leon Washington got his rushing yardage. And I don't know how many ****ing times I have said it in this thread alone: LEON WASHINGTON HAD TRIPLE THE ****ING RUSHING TDS AS THOMAS JONES. Instead of *****footing around that, why don't please ****ing answer to it. Pretty please, with a cherry on top. Until you can respond to one of my posts without making a stupid ****ing comparison between Leon/Dancing Bear and LT/Chatman, I am done with you, Mr. Jones.

Jesus, are you this ****ing stupid? There is absolutely no comparison between the Chargers' 2004 RB situation and the Jets' 2007 RB situation. I have answered you in countless ways but you are too ****ing dense to get it. Racking up six yards a carry in the 4th quarter of blowouts is not how Leon Washington got his rushing yardage. And I don't know how many ****ing times I have said it in this thread alone: LEON WASHINGTON HAD TRIPLE THE ****ING RUSHING TDS AS THOMAS JONES. Instead of *****footing around that, why don't please ****ing answer to it. Pretty please, with a cherry on top. Until you can respond to one of my posts without making a stupid ****ing comparison between Leon/Dancing Bear and LT/Chatman, I am done with you, Mr. Jones.

It is the same thing. I'm trying to say you are a jackass for trying to compare a back who is coming in for limited carries a game spelling a starting back's YPC against a starting back. They have nothing in common so you comparing Leons YPC average to TJ''s is retarted.

I have a feeling "SayNoToDMC" is in love with Thomas Jones, Im not. I should make a screen name "SayNoToThomasOldBones"

In love with TJ? nope

Could we upgrade him? yup

Do we need to upgrade him? no

We have more pressing needs then upgrading our RB position which is in better shape then most positions on our team. I said I would love to have Mendenhal on this team as I think he will be a great NFL back. Despite what most *******s here are convinced of, McFadden wouldn't have done any better behind our line last year then Thomas Jones.

In love with TJ? nope

Could we upgrade him? yup

Do we need to upgrade him? no

We have more pressing needs then upgrading our RB position which is in better shape then most positions on our team. I said I would love to have Mendenhal on this team as I think he will be a great NFL back. Despite what most *******s here are convinced of, McFadden wouldn't have done any better behind our line last year then Thomas Jones.

You don't think McFadden could have managed two TDs? I bet he could have.

You don't think McFadden could have managed two TDs? I bet he could have.

TJ is a between the tackles style runner, and with the exception of Mangold we had a blocking tight end and 3 matadors on the line. Maby Darren McFadden could have scored a couple more touchdown using his speed going east and west on the goal line, but would he have been a better back? no

Archived