PINELLA TOSSED OUT!

haggis

Lou just got ejected for going house on the homeplate ump for overturning a call. Lugo and Schill were in a bang-bang play at 1st and he was ruled safe. Schilling and Francona get into with the ump and the call gets changed. Cue Pinella to come out raging and his hat lasts about 2.14 seconds and he gets tossed in under 5 seconds. Surely a new personal best.

Lou just got ejected for going house on the homeplate ump for overturning a call. Lugo and Schill were in a bang-bang play at 1st and he was ruled safe. Schilling and Francona get into with the ump and the call gets changed. Cue Pinella to come out raging and his hat lasts about 2.14 seconds and he gets tossed in under 5 seconds. Surely a new personal best.

If blue changed the call, Pinella was right to lose his mind.

And the Sox still lose.

Pinella was 1000% correct to go nuts. Schilling is a fat embarassment to the game.

Pinella is like the boy who cried wolf ... he snaps so often for BS that when he finally snaps for a legit reason it is largely dismissed

But this time he snapped for THE RIGHT REASON!!

Since when do you see a BANG/BANG call at 1B ... by the 1B Umpire ... overturned?

I've been watching baseball for 30 Years ... seen those calls argued a million times ... TILL NOW I have NEVER seen one reversed

Yes, that is the FIRST TIME in my life I have ever seen a BANG/BANG call at 1B {Safe or Out} overturned following an argument ... NEVER SAW IT BEFORE LAST NITE ... so Pinella was 100% Correct to blow his top

That was the mother of all hometown calls!

Tampa second baseman Julio Lugo took a sarcastic jab at Schilling and the umpires.

''I used to admire Curt Schilling, but I've got more admiration for him now that he would come out and beg for a call [-o< and get it.

I don't think there's anybody in baseball who could do that.

I admire Curt Schilling. He's the man for me. :roll:

I had respect for him, now I have more respect for him than anybody in baseball.

I've never seen anything like that." :shock:

The first base ump thought Schill beat Lugo but missed the bag so Francona had him check with the home base ump. He said Schill had the bag so then reversed the call.

Right or wrong I feel it is good that umps are using each other to make calls.

The first base ump thought Schill beat Lugo but missed the bag so Francona had him check with the home base ump. He said Schill had the bag so then reversed the call.

Right or wrong I feel it is good that umps are using each other to make calls.

You make a good point, SJ ... you really do ... but there is a big downside to this as well

Heretofore it was a given that safe/out calls at 1B were irreversable ... to do so sets a NEW PRECEDENT ... now managers know, for the first time that I am aware of {or have ever seen}, that you can argue a safe/out call at 1B and get the call reversed

Prior to now it was almost as much a given as balls and strikes ... all of the arguing in the world wasn't gonna get the call changed

I'm not sure if this is a GOOD NEW PRECEDENT to set ... that suddenly safe/out calls at 1B are reversable? :-s

Personally I think it opens a pandora's box

PS. You know how many BANG/BANG plays at 1B are called incorrectly? ... Tons!!

Up until now we just had to live with it ... either way

Now if the goal is to get it right, as you are suggesting here, why have umpires waited 100 Years {until monday nite} to figure it out ... and does that mean ALL BANG/BANG PLAYS are now open to debate, and reversable?

See what I mean about a pandora's box?

For once I agree with 80.

Baseball needs to get this calls right. I dunno whether its because umpires have to big of egos to not overturn their calls or whatever, but damnit, I get sick and one of my Yankees beats out the play at 1st base and gets called out. Sure it works for the Yankees advantage here and there, just like any other team, but ya need to get the damn calls right.

For once I agree with 80.

Baseball needs to get this calls right. I dunno whether its because umpires have to big of egos to not overturn their calls or whatever, but damnit, I get sick and one of my Yankees beats out the play at 1st base and gets called out. Sure it works for the Yankees advantage here and there, just like any other team, but ya need to get the damn calls right.

Why do you think the umps hate QUESTEC so much? The system has exposed many of them as frauds, and that doesn't even judge how many calls made incorrectly on the field. Imagine how pissed off they'll be if instant replay were installed?

Archived