Do you really feel that uncondfident about our WR scenario?

NY JET 29

Do you feel uncondfident with Coles, Cotch, and someone already on the rosterasourwrs  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you feel uncondfident with Coles, Cotch, and someone already on the rosterasourwrs

• Yes.
    • No.

As long as Coles stays on the field, we should be okay. I also think that Brad Smith takes a huge leap forward this year. Year three is often the big year for WR's who played WR in college, I think it's the year the former QB breaks out, too.

That's not to say that they should pass on the position in the draft. They need a guy this year so that he's ready two, three years down the road when Coles may no longer be with the team.

Yes. We don't have a #1 receiver. Coles is a better #2, and Cotchery is a #2. Cotchery would be great in the slot, and Coles would be great as the possession #2. Chad Johnson, if you just thought of the talent, and not the off the field crap, would fit in absolutely PERFECT. There couldn't be a better fit. However, you have to worry about the antics.. I'd take a shot for #36, but I know mostwon't.

While I like Coles and Cotch I really want us drafting another receiver no later than round 4. I'd make it the 3rd round if we had a pick there. We need quality depth. Smith does NOTHING for me as a wideout. Stuckey , to me, is still unproven. Sure he had a decent pre season in 07 but BFD. Pre season means diddly, plus he got hurt. I expect David Ball to contribute this year and surprize a lot of posters here at JN. Of course I expected a big year out of JMac last year. :P

I know I'm in the minority but I still like Brad Smith, physicly he's got all the tools you could ask for in a reciever. He's 6-2 4.4 speed 40 inch vertical leap, this offseason they just need to put him infront of a Jugs machine catching balls till his hands bleed, and let him focus on being a reciever. They never let him throw the ball anyway.

Stucky I think can be a good reciever for us, if he can ever stay healthy. Thats a big if though.

My biggest issue is Coles. We know Cotch is a #2, but so is Coles. He's not that fast anymore with his foot injury he doesn't want surgery on. Not to mention I don't think he can stay healthy with his size, age and the beating he takes on the field. I'm not happy we had to garuntee his final 2 years, but I'm way happier with that then giving him a long term deal. I think that we do need to try and draft a reciever this year, recievers take a few years to develop and since they locked Coles up for the next 2 I think they are planning to take one early and develop him. I say they draft a guy like Hardy if he falls to us in Round 2 or if we can trade back to late in round 1, at 6-6 with 4.4 speed would give us an imediate upgrade in the redzone which we need, and we would have a couple years for us to try and develop him.

Coles and Cotchery are both very good WR's that could get on almost any NFL team, it's just they are way too similar. Neither or deep threats and both are seen mainly as (very good) possesion WR's.

What we still lack is someone who can stretch the field and also a big target in the redzone. Hopefully Stuckey can develop into a very good slot WR but IIRC the main knock on him was his ability to get deep. He has great hands though and is very agile, hopefully he is a good as I'm hoping.

That being said, these WR's are perfect for a Chad Pennington (AKA Dink and Dunk) style offense.

I love Coles and Cotchery and a healthy Stuckey would be a huge boost but I still think they need a big WR to go with that group. Smith can't even run routes. I love the guy as a football player but not as a WR. Wallace Wright is a special teams star but it remains to be seen what he can do as a WR. Maybe with more time to throw a couple of those guys may be able to break out but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if they can grab Kelly, Hardy, Sweed with a trade down in the 1st or in the 2nd or maybe even Marcus Monk later in the draft. Devin Thomas would be a nice pickup too. I like Manningham but they haven't had a big WR that can actually catch the ball since Keyshawn was here and it would be a great asset to this team to get a guy like that in here now. A little more speed wouldn't hurt but a big target nonetheless. It could take some of the big hits off of Coles too.

I love Coles and Cotchery and a healthy Stuckey would be a huge boost but I still think they need a big WR to go with that group. Smith can't even run routes. I love the guy as a football player but not as a WR. Wallace Wright is a special teams star but it remains to be seen what he can do as a WR. Maybe with more time to throw a couple of those guys may be able to break out but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if they can grab Kelly, Hardy, Sweed with a trade down in the 1st or in the 2nd or maybe even Marcus Monk later in the draft. Devin Thomas would be a nice pickup too. I like Manningham but they haven't had a big WR that can actually catch the ball since Keyshawn was here and it would be a great asset to this team to get a guy like that in here now. A little more speed wouldn't hurt but a big target nonetheless. It could take some of the big hits off of Coles too.

I agree 100%.

Problems:

1) no real deep threat

2) Smith isn't a real WR

3) Stuckey is injury-prone

You're right but Coles and Cotch are both very good receivers and Baker is a good TE.

Ofcourse, if we added Chad Johnson I beleive he, Coles, and Cotch would come together like Voltron and dominate the league.

Coles and Cotchery are fine. What the Jets truely need is that big play Wesley Walker type who can just outrun the secondary. Neither Coles nor Cotch can do that.

A deep threat WR is something I would absolutely be looking for in the draft this year.

Coles and Cotchery are fine. What the Jets truely need is that big play Wesley Walker type who can just outrun the secondary. Neither Coles nor Cotch can do that.

A deep threat WR is something I would absolutely be looking for in the draft this year.

David Clowney

Archived