Isiah Thomas fired

Sperm Edwards

...and there was much rejoicing...

http://www.nba.com/nba_news/isiah_fired_080418.html

Isiah Thomas Fired as Coach of New York Knicks

Posted Apr 18 2008 5:46PM

NEW YORK, April 18 (AP) -- Isiah Thomas was fired as coach of the New York Knicks on Friday, ending a year fraught with embarrassing episodes on and off the court.

Thomas, the coach for two seasons, will remain with the organization reporting directly to new president Donnie Walsh, a rapid fall for Thomas who also was team president a little more than two weeks ago.

Walsh took over that role April 2, and his first big decision was to change coaches as he begins the process of turning around a team that never won a playoff game in Thomas' tenure.

"I just believe a new voice, a new coach, is necessary to change the direction of the team,'' Walsh said.

The Knicks finished 23-59, matching the franchise record for losses, in their seventh straight losing season.

This season alone, Thomas feuded with point guard Stephon Marbury and benched center Eddy Curry - the players Thomas acquired in the two biggest of a number of moves that never panned out.

Walsh wants a new coach in place by the draft in June, when the Knicks will finally have their lottery pick again after handing over their last two to Chicago in the Curry trade. Walsh said Sunday he had not yet talked to any candidates for either a coach or general manager job.

Thomas is 187-223 as an NBA coach, leading the Indiana Pacers to the playoffs in three straight years from 2000-03. Larry Bird fired him after becoming team president, a move Walsh - who had hired Thomas as coach - was originally against but eventually went along with.

Good decision. Now all I hear is that Marc Jackson might get the new job ? Is it me or is this just as dumb ?

Who knows how Jackson will be as a head coach. If Walsh goes about rebuilding the right way the Knicks are probably going to win 30-35 games the next two years until summer 2010 when they get under the cap and sign Lebron, Chris Bosh or Dirk Nowitzki. That means whoever is the head coach is going to endure at least two losing seasons before this team becomes a playoff contender again.

I seriously doubt Jeff Van Gundy, Rick Carlisle or Scott Skiles would want to get into a situation like that right off the bat.

Archived